Question Ryzen 7 5700G Build: Fans spin but no display out

Jan 5, 2022
I purchased the following parts to build a PC that I would use almost exclusively for software development. The parts I got are:
  • CPU/APU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX
  • RAM: Team TForce Vulcan Z 64GB 3600MHz
  • Cooler: MasterLiquid ML240L v2 RGB
  • Storage: Crucial P5 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 450 Gold
I installed the RAM, Storage, CPU and used the box cooler just to get it started before building in the case. I shorted the power pins and the CPU fan spins up but no display out.
I have tried
  • removing and reseating the RAM, CPU, Storage, 24pin and CPU power connectors
  • moving the RAM sticks around
  • removing one RAM stick and using just one in each slot
  • switching from HDMI to the DP port
I live in Nigeria and this is my first build (and with what I have experienced so far, probably my last), I don't have any other RAM sticks, PSU's or CPUs to test with. A colleague of mine helped upgrade the BIOS on the Mobo to F14 before shipping to me so the BIOS is updated.
What else can I do to get the build working knowing the constraints I face?

Thanks

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Did the cooler or cpu come with paste to use? Did you use it?

A cpu can literally run at double the normal temperature or more without paste

...Oh, and was anything second hand?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I purchased the following parts to build a PC that I would use almost exclusively for software development. The parts I got are:
  • CPU/APU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX
  • RAM: Team TForce Vulcan Z 64GB 3600MHz
  • Cooler: MasterLiquid ML240L v2 RGB
  • Storage: Crucial P5 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 450 Gold
I installed the RAM, Storage, CPU and used the box cooler just to get it started before building in the case. I shorted the power pins and the CPU fan spins up but no display out.
I have tried
  • removing and reseating the RAM, CPU, Storage, 24pin and CPU power connectors
  • moving the RAM sticks around
  • removing one RAM stick and using just one in each slot
  • switching from HDMI to the DP port
I live in Nigeria and this is my first build (and with what I have experienced so far, probably my last), I don't have any other RAM sticks, PSU's or CPUs to test with. A colleague of mine helped upgrade the BIOS on the Mobo to F14 before shipping to me so the BIOS is updated.
What else can I do to get the build working knowing the constraints I face?

Thanks
Update the motherboard BIOS.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
If you leave it on without a display, does it (continuously) restart? If it stays on all the time, try new hdmi cable.
Does your case have a HDD LED that tells you the drive is doing an operation?

Jan 5, 2022
If you leave it on without a display, does it (continuously) restart? If it stays on all the time, try new hdmi cable.
Does your case have a HDD LED that tells you the drive is doing an operation?
  • No, it doesn't restart. It just stays on
  • The case doesn't have a HDD LED so I cant really say if the drive is being used

Jan 5, 2022
Ok grab a new hdmi then. If you have one you know works like from a ps4 then use that
I was using the HDMI cable that came with my Dell monitor, it has worked well with older devices, but I changed over to another known working cable (from my LG monitor) And it is the same issue.

Jan 6, 2022
Hi,

I literally have the exact same problem as the OP. Same processor, just different motherboard. I am as clueless as the OP. This is my first AMD processor build, and I am struggling to figure out what is wrong.

Jan 5, 2022
Hi,

I literally have the exact same problem as the OP. Same processor, just different motherboard. I am as clueless as the OP. This is my first AMD processor build, and I am struggling to figure out what is wrong.

This is my first PC build ever, I had been watching people build them on youtube and really wanted to and my first experience has been horrible. This is the second motherboard I bought for this same project since I could not update the bios of the first one I bought and it was cheaper to buy a new one, have a colleague update it and send rather than ship my existing board over.

Jan 6, 2022
This is my first PC build ever, I had been watching people build them on youtube and really wanted to and my first experience has been horrible. This is the second motherboard I bought for this same project since I could not update the bios of the first one I bought and it was cheaper to buy a new one, have a colleague update it and send rather than ship my existing board over.
So did the BIOS update solve your issue? Because I am thinking right now if I install a graphics card temporarily I could get at least get into BIOS and then do the update. And afterwards, take out the graphics card and the system would be running.

Jan 5, 2022
So did the BIOS update solve your issue? Because I am thinking right now if I install a graphics card temporarily I could get at least get into BIOS and then do the update. And afterwards, take out the graphics card and the system would be running.
I got the motherboard with the BIOS already updated, I wasn't the one who updated it. I don't have a GPU to test with, I was banking on the IGP so I wouldn't need a discrete GPU

ASK THE COMMUNITY