[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5700g or 5800x on black Friday sales?

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Recently the 5700g shot down for black Friday and I'm now torn between the two. I've seen there is a difference in performance but for almost £100 less would I be silly to stick with the 5800x?

For reference, the 5800x is about £330 and the 5700g is £240

The rig is for workstation stuff and gaming which is why I'm shooting for Ryzen 7 to begin with, I can see the difference when watching benchmarks in games and with some workstations applications such as Blender, the 5800x does take the lead (largely in many cases) but for £100 less it's a hard consideration.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Both are 8 core/16 thread, the G model has an internal GPU. The X model has more cache and is clocked higher.

For someone without a gaming GPU the 5700G is about the only choice as it has a useable one built-in. It is only just useable so they'll be looking to upgrade that if/as costs come down in the future...but the CPU in it is good enough to make even top-end discrete GPU's sweat at 1440p and up resolution.

If they've already got a good GPU a 5800X is better as far as CPU performance goes. A 5700G is really quite decent too but if they really need a fast highly threaded system for rendering or video transcoding the 5800X will be the better choice.

It's actually not an easy, cut and dried answer. Luckily, where I live a 5800X can...
Both are 8 core/16 thread, the G model has an internal GPU. The X model has more cache and is clocked higher.

For someone without a gaming GPU the 5700G is about the only choice as it has a useable one built-in. It is only just useable so they'll be looking to upgrade that if/as costs come down in the future...but the CPU in it is good enough to make even top-end discrete GPU's sweat at 1440p and up resolution.

If they've already got a good GPU a 5800X is better as far as CPU performance goes. A 5700G is really quite decent too but if they really need a fast highly threaded system for rendering or video transcoding the 5800X will be the better choice.

It's actually not an easy, cut and dried answer. Luckily, where I live a 5800X can be had for only $20US more than a 5700G and I already have a decent gaming GPU. Makes the choice a bit easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
Solution

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015

It's actually not an easy, cut and dried answer. Luckily, where I live a 5800X can be had for only $20US more than a 5700G and I already have a decent gaming GPU. Makes the choice a bit easier.
I'll be still using my plucky Rx580 due to the fun prices of GPU's at the moment with plans to move to a better GPU once things (hopefully) settle down, which makes me lean towards the 5800x for future performance overall. Like I will be working with Premiere, DAW's and the Unreal Engine so there's a need for a good CPU but will be 5800x provide a massively noticeable bump? Something I need to research some more...

The idea of having the internal GPU in case of any issues I have but it's not like I've ever had to resort to that in my past two builds

You're definitely right on this not being cut and dry! I wish the 5800x was also part of Black Friday, it's barely gone down in price!

Like I will be working with Premiere, DAW's and the Unreal Engine so there's a need for a good CPU but will be 5800x provide a massively noticeable bump? Something I need to research some more...
Depends on what you're moving from as to how much of a noticeable bump. I just upgraded to 5800X from 3700X (it replaces the 1700 in in my son's machine so it can be Windows11 compatible) and it's not night and day but noticeable in some cases. But then my needs aren't as great as previously when I was doing a lot more video transcoding with handbrake.

It's seems a nice thing to have a backup GPU but I don't think it's wise to let that sway a CPU purchase. Just get a cheap non-gaming card and have that available for backup if it's that important.

Reactions: Adam1998

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Depends on what you're moving from as to how much of a noticeable bump. I just upgraded to 5800X from 3700X (it replaces the 1700 in in my son's machine so it can be Windows11 compatible) and it's not night and day but noticeable in some cases. But then my needs aren't as great as previously when I was doing a lot more video transcoding with handbrake.

It's seems a nice thing to have a backup GPU but I don't think it's wise to let that sway a CPU purchase. Just get a cheap non-gaming card and have that available for backup if it's that important.
It's an i5 7600k I'm moving from so quite the bump indeed...

Yeah that's a good point actually, I think overall I'm better with the 5800x

The 5800X is a better choice if you do not need the iGPU as your not just getting a slightly lower clocked chip with the 5700G your losing half the cache as well (16MB instead of 32MB). That help's in productivity and in some games as well. That's a huge upgrade from a 7600K, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS