Question Ryzen 7 5700U Vega 8 iGPU memory clock lower than expected

Allyboi

Reputable
Jun 30, 2020
Hello there! I've recently acquired a brand new Acer laptop with the Ryzen 7 5700U, Improved Vega II generation of Vega 8 iGPU and 16Gb of dual channel 4266 MT/s LPDDR4X RAM, but so far the performance I've seen in some games seem... Middling at best, with some games running slower compared to the performance I'd get on my old Optiplex desktop PC with an i5-6500, LP GT 1030 and just 8Gb of 2133 MT/s RAM.

My main concern right now is the iGPU memory clock speed which seems to be set at 1333 instead of the expected 2133, on AMD Adrenalin, HwInfo64 and MSI Afterburner it says the GPU memory clock tops out at 1333mhz while GPU-Z shows a value of 2133 for the current memory clock on the sensors tab which seems to be wrong since it isn't changing at all, I'm also noticing the iGPU running at about 25 watts when I'm playing a game like Project Zomboid at 1920x1200p.

Does anyone know how to fix this iGPU memory clock issue and set it to something higher like perhaps 1600 or 2133? I also have access to my laptop's advanced BIOS should the key to fixing it lie there, I'm also running the latest AMD Adrenalin Drivers as well, I'd highly appreciate any help I can get regarding the matter, thank you :)

A couple of things:
  • When RAM speed is reported in MHz, it means its actual operating clock speed. The MT/s value or DDR value is the operating clock speed times 2, because DDR transfers data on the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle. Some people may erroneously report MHz as the MT/s or DDR value.
  • At some point, laptops (and desktops even) have gotten the ability to lower the operating clock speed of RAM to conserve energy. Run a load on the system to see if this changes to what it should be.

Reactions: Allyboi

Allyboi

Reputable
Jun 30, 2020
A couple of things:
  • When RAM speed is reported in MHz, it means its actual operating clock speed. The MT/s value or DDR value is the operating clock speed times 2, because DDR transfers data on the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle. Some people may erroneously report MHz as the MT/s or DDR value.
  • At some point, laptops (and desktops even) have gotten the ability to lower the operating clock speed of RAM to conserve energy. Run a load on the system to see if this changes to what it should be.
I see, thanks for the clarification on the MT/s v. MHz thing then, I almost always use MT/s over MHz because it's what I was taught to use when referring to RAM clock speeds lmfao

As for the under load part, I've done that right now using Cinebench R23 multi core and single core plus CS:2 at 1200p medium settings and while monitoring the iGPU on Hwinfo64 the Memory clock really just tops out at 1333 MHz unfortunately, honestly I'm absolutely stumped as to why it's clocked so low, granted I understand that the Vega iGPU's have dynamic memory clock but this seems a tad underpowered considering the fact that I specifically bought my current model because I thought it'd have better iGPU performance because of the faster onboard RAM :(