Mar 5, 2023
I think it's a time to finally learn something more about my new CPU 🙈. I went from 5600X to 5700X as I found it at 100£ price new, and extra 2Cores are always nice to have, especially in FPS games like CoD etc.

5700X cooled with AK620 Zero Dark DeepCool.
B550 Aours PRO AX Itx
2x8 3666mts 17.19.19.19 (it's 4000 cl19 originally, but whea error everywhere)
2080 Gigabyte Gaming OC
Aorus 850W psu

So my question is about PBO, as with Curve optimizer all cores -15 to -20 while PBO enabled, wi getting on Cinebench around 14100 pkt with 82C (but also loss in performance in games)

With stock, CPU not exceeding 58C with around 13000pkt, but no loss performance in games.

PBO just Enabled without curve optimizer over 15k pkt, but temperature goes up to 88-89 which is close to TjMax for 5700X operative temperature. In games stays at 70'sC in FPS games, but I can't really notice any major difference or at all in FPS.

Maybe I doing something wrong, is there any best PBO settings, or just leave this at stock ? Any few extra fps are pleased to get 🙈. So let me know what's best to do in my case please 😁

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If you can't detect any improvement when PBO is enabled, leave it switched off. Your CPU will run cooler and your electricity bill will be slightly lower. Of course it's fun to experiment, but take care not to be too be too aggressive with your overclock settings if you're not an expert. There's a vague chance you might kill something expensive.

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
If you can't detect any improvement when PBO is enabled, leave it switched off. Your CPU will run cooler and your electricity bill will be slightly lower. Of course it's fun to experiment, but take care not to be too be too aggressive with your overclock settings if you're not an expert. There's a vague chance you might kill something expensive.
Yeah you may have right, and I struggling enough time to run stable 1900mhz/3800MT/s cl17.19.19, but it's only posting when I set voltage at 1.5V, whcih for Hynix DJR I heard is too much, so I have to keep it at 1.45V and run at 3600 cl17.19.19.. can't really figure out how to run at its best, as 4000MT/s cl19.25.25 (XMP) it works, even if bios setting voltage automatically on 1.45V then 1.4V which is voltage what this ran comes with.

Can I run Hynix DJR at 1.5V for daily use ? I gaming only without doing any long term rendering, only some AVX2 if the game doing one at start of so.

I using this as an reference for RAM OC, Voltages ect, cuz I was trying to get rid of WHEa errors, while running stock XMP which is 4000MT/s.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I really wouldn't advise running memory above the manufacturer's recommended maximum XMP Voltage setting. The RAM might survive 1.50V for some time but overvolting it could also shorten the life of the CPU memory controller.

If you see a significant improvement in some games and can afford to buy a new mobo, CPU and RAM if anything fails catastrophically, it's your choice if you want to "push the envelope".

You could load an extreme 1.50V RAM overclock profile for specific games, then revert to a lower overclock profile for less demanding games. This assumes your mobo supports multiple profiles.

Maybe I doing something wrong, is there any best PBO settings, or just leave this at stock ? Any few extra fps are pleased to get 🙈. So let me know what's best to do in my case please 😁
With a 5800X, reduced EDC settings... 10-20A lower than the stock... gives better lightly threaded performance. Gaming is a light, bursty workload which also responds well to it. I imagine a 5700X would too but haven't played with one and haven't seen what people do for optimizing it for gaming. The results are especially pronounced when using Curve Optimizer and increasing the boost clock 25-50Mhz (no more).

But also, 5700X is a 65W part while 5800X is a 105W part. That means the default PBO settings are already lower so it also makes sense you could increase PPT and TDC a bit (142W and 105A is stock for a 5800X). Things to experiment with to see what results in better performance.

Pushing voltage does not work well on all memory chips. Some, like Hynix CJR, actually perform worse if you push it above 1.4V. But Samsung B-Die is one that can handle it...performing best at 1.5V and even 1.55. But have a case with good airflow across the DIMM's when you do it. It's wise to know exactly which sort of RAM your memory has in it before pushing voltage.

Last edited: