[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800X Clock Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2022
My CPU clock speed been jumping from 3600mhz to 4800mhz like every second and the temperature been hitting 50c'-60c' just opening one app
How can I fix this

Last edited:
Solution
My CPU clock speed been jumping from 3600mhz to 4800mhz like every second and the temperature been 50c'
How can I fix this

Hi ttorri (y)and Welcome to the Forum.

Your 5800X has a base clock frequency of 3.8GHz and a boost clock of 4.7GHz

Boost is an overclock frequency that is automatic and when conditions are correct a number of cores will boost depending on your core temperature and demand from an application. So it's really all about performance.

Boost can be disabled in Bios and you can set an all core overclock depending on your requirement. For most everyday use it's best to leave boost alone and 50C is nothing to be concerned about.

Some enthusiasts and Power users will
pursue a MAX all...
Hey there,

This is very normal behavior for that CPU. It's base clock is 3.6ghz and boost clock is 4.7ghz. The CPU will boost to it's higher speed when thermal conditions allow.

It also depends on what task you are doing. If it is a lightly threaded app it's a good chance the CPU will boost to it's higher speeds, which give you more performance.

If it's a heavy threaded app (like some games), then the boost speed might drop back to 4.6 or 4.5 or perhaps slightly lower.

You have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: PaulC55
My CPU clock speed been jumping from 3600mhz to 4800mhz like every second and the temperature been 50c'
How can I fix this

Hi ttorri (y)and Welcome to the Forum.

Your 5800X has a base clock frequency of 3.8GHz and a boost clock of 4.7GHz

Boost is an overclock frequency that is automatic and when conditions are correct a number of cores will boost depending on your core temperature and demand from an application. So it's really all about performance.

Boost can be disabled in Bios and you can set an all core overclock depending on your requirement. For most everyday use it's best to leave boost alone and 50C is nothing to be concerned about.

Some enthusiasts and Power users will
pursue a MAX all core overclock however this depends on the rest of the system and it's cooling capability.

Solution
May 20, 2022
Fix what? there's nothing wrong. It's perfectly normal with good cooling.
It was not like this when I build my pc back in 2021 it only started acting like that recently
I had more performance before my CPU started acting weird and some games I play now keep crashing since it started acting weird
I try to reset settings in bios and AMD Ryzen Master settings it didn't change anything

It was not like this when I build my pc back in 2021 it only started acting like that recently
I had more performance before my CPU started acting weird and some games I play now keep crashing since it started acting weird
I try to reset settings in bios and AMD Ryzen Master settings it didn't change anything
There's not much to go on here. But uninstalling RyzenMaster is a logical first step: it seems obvious you don't want to benefit from the "overclocking" it's meant for and it's known to adversely affect performance under certain conditions. If you're looking for a good monitoring program the best one for Ryzen is HWInfo64.

Another option is to clean install Windows.

ADDED: fyi, my 5800X is frequently boosting from about 3400 (or less) to 4900 (or more) whenever something is active; that's just the way it works when it's properly set up. It can be changed that by changing Power Mode in Windows 11 from "Best Power Efficiency" to "Balanced" or "Best Performance"....or even by changing the particular Power Plan. That might make it not lower the clock so far but then it will boost less often and usually not as high. That's something for you to experiment with.

Check that your BIOS is up-to-date as there have been some fixes with later ones for Ryzen 5000 CPU's.

Reset CMOS to see how that changes things too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ittorri
Status
Not open for further replies.