gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
So i recently built a new rig with a ryzen 7 5800x and this thing idles at 60+ degrees. I've got a CM Masterair MA410M on it right now, plus 7 case fans. I also remounted the cooler with better thermal paste already. I know that's not uncommon for this chip to run a bit hot due to its design, but it hit 90 degrees in cinnebench. Any cooler recommendations? should i switch to an aio? what kinds of temps are you guys getting on this chip?

Solution
For one reason or another, the entire network went down in my area for several hours...

One more thing. I was also thinking about just going with a dark rock pro 4 instead of an aio. Would you still recommend an aio over a high end air cooler for this chip because of its thermal behavior?
You can choose whichever type you wish - I'm not against having options. They both have their pro and cons.
I was trying to warn you that an AIO wouldn't offer a 'knock-your-socks-off' difference over air, especially not against the 5800X's little... 'quirk'.

A)Large single tower, dual tower, 280mm AIO.
I find these types to be the best overall, thanks to their use of 140mm fans, thus they offer a better balance of performance to noise...
Yes the Ryzen 7 5800x does run hot especially under load.

The only real solution is an AIO 280mm twin rad of H110i or equivalent. (If it will fit your case) and you intend to Overclock.

Temps can also be reduced disabling boost clock for an all core Overclock to 4.7-4.8Ghz. Reducing Vcore to 1.375V will also help.

If unsure then list your full system specs.

Stress test using Aida64 and HWinfo64 for monitoring Temps, Rail Voltages and general system stability.

I can fit a 360mm in the front of my case. Do you think its worth it over a 280mm?
A 360mm AIO runs it's fans slower (1600rpm) so may impede or restrict the flow of Air thru your case and reduce noise. The H110i runs its fans at 2100rpm and adequate for a decent Overclock.

The $10 extra cost is justified IMO, and will make a difference if rendering 3D surfaces or editing long Videos.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're not really going to be able to 'fix' it by slapping a bigger cooler on it. Not even a 360mm AIO 'fixes' it.
The problem with this cpu lies underneath the IHS: AMD did not design an efficient enough thermal solution under the IHS.

Even excluding the fact that Ryzen 5000's dies have greater thermal density than Intel's current chips(7nm finFET Vs 14nm)...
The 5800X, even though it isn't capable of the higher power draw as the recent i7s and i9s are, somehow 'needs' as big a cooler as them? Something's not right there...
The 5800X doesn't come close to saturating a big ol' 360mm AIO compared to those Intel chips, yet it manages to run even hotter than they do with one.
That's because some of the energy doesn't get up and through to the cooler, becoming 'lost' in the socket, and the dies bathe in it.

In short:
-The thermal solution under the hood sucks. The other 3 Ryzen 5000s don't have this problem.
-AMD designed these cpu's with very aggressive turbo boost algorithms; even up to 90C, they'll still search for higher turbo boost bins before backing down due to thermals.
-A bigger cooler does not really fix, when the lost energy still doesn't reach it in the first place.

it hit 90 degrees in cinnebench
I think you should:
-Re-evaluate the cooler and backplate installation. Make sure neither is loose. Also, do not completely secure a screw and move on to the next - do a half, or one complete turn, then move to the next screw. Continue until they stop you.
-Re-evaluate how you applied the paste, as well as what paste you used. Hope you didn't use TG Kryonaut; bad pairing with Ryzen 5000 due to its 'low' thermal ceiling.
-You don't have fans pulling air away from the MA410M before said air can pass through it, hm? 7 sounds like a lot...
For reference:
iu

gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Bruh. Actually I did use tg keyonaut. From what I've gathered I think I will swap to a 240 or 280 aio and get a thermal paste with a higher thermal ceiling, found out my cooler Actually won't handle it at full power draw anyway so I at least want something made to handle the correct tdp, even though I know that's not the be all, end all, of measurement for this. Also I'm not overclocking or anything. Just would like to get those Temps down since I'm coming from an i7 4790k which idled at around 35 to 40 degrees and these higher temps just make me feel uncomfortable even though I know this thing is rated to 95 degrees.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do not take what you know from the 4790K and try to apply it over the 5800X. It will not work without trying to cripple the cpu's performance.
People have used undervolts, fixed frequency OCs, and running Cinebench as some kind of end all be all... and completely forget - or just don't know - that these cpu's clock speeds scale with how many cores are active, just like Intel's cpus do.

The reason the AIO works a little better is due to the liquid being more effective at absorbing the energy that already gets to it compared to an air cooler.
You will still see 50+ when you're not doing anything, and 80+ when under various loads, because of the energy that gets lost in the socket.

gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Yeah I know I'm not going to get it down anywhere near what I saw on my i7, just need something I know I can trust to keep this chip in good working condition. Thanks for all the info.

gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
One more thing. I was also thinking about just going with a dark rock pro 4 instead of an aio. Would you still recommend an aio over a high end air cooler for this chip because of its thermal behavior?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For one reason or another, the entire network went down in my area for several hours...

You can choose whichever type you wish - I'm not against having options. They both have their pro and cons.
I was trying to warn you that an AIO wouldn't offer a 'knock-your-socks-off' difference over air, especially not against the 5800X's little... 'quirk'.

A)Large single tower, dual tower, 280mm AIO.
I find these types to be the best overall, thanks to their use of 140mm fans, thus they offer a better balance of performance to noise profile, which can cause them to match or beat coolers larger than them - which are few, anyways...
By large single tower, for example: Thermalright's Macho Rev. C or Noctua NH-U14S.
The MA410M, underneath that 'armor', is more of a medium size tower cooler.

B)360mm or larger AIO.
These lack flexibility due to tubing length, and being huge. You are more or less stuck with mounting the radiator at the top of the chassis - not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it could create compatibility issues with future chassis picks.
A front mount fits, you say? Well, the 'drip-drip', or running water noises that inevitably appear from mounting it that way WILL make you move it to the top eventually - and if it doesn't fit up there, then you have to get rid of it...
Kind of a waste, when the unit isn't even broken.

C)240mm AIO.
Just straight up skip these if you can fit any of the types from point A. 240mm just don't have enough going for them in comparison. Heck, I think even the less flexible 360mm and 420mm are better options...
People often eat them up due to pricing, and 'because liquid'.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens boost according to several factors, like core voltage, load amounts, core usage etc. They are limited by temps. So the difference in boost performance is the change, not the temps, when switching coolers. If you run in the 80's now, chances are you will still be in the 80's with a bigger cooler, but the offset is higher clocked boosts.

Using Ryzen master or (even better) clock tuner2 to lower power supplied to the cores can improve temps, the tradeoff being you'll get best performance but not necessarily the highest clocks.

gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
yeah If i still run at 80 during certain workloads that's fine. I just need temps to not shoot up as fast as they are now and to know that my cooling solution will keep it in the safe temp range. thanks for the info guys. i will post an update on Dante's Inferno when i get the new cooler

gettindabelt

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Update. i got my dark rock 4 pro in and mounted it, which was one of the most aggravating pc build experiences I've ever had. removed the front fan and put one on the rear of the cooler leaving a blank face of heat fins at the front. did this so it wouldn't cover my trident z royals. with my current configuration I am idling at around 53 degrees and in 6 runs of cinebench I only ever reached 85 degrees with a non stop boost clock of 4.7GHz. in games I'm down about 10 degrees on average and while 3d modeling I'm only hitting 65 to 70 degrees if its a large or complex object to render, and thats with it turboing to 4.8GHz. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this thing.

TRENDING THREADS