[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800x Hot

Vinny95

Prominent
Apr 28, 2020
Hey, so I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 7 5800x and it seems to be running at high temps occasionally. I’ve seen online that it runs quite high generally, compared to other cards, so not too worried. (About 40-43C idle)

I’m cooling it with a Cooler Master ML240R.

I don’t know much about coolers so just wondering what people think about the ML240R for the 5800x. Is it good enough?

Thanks in advance, any input is appreciated

Solution
I think most people are seeing 90C unless there on D15 or some decent water loop in multi core benchmarks or stress tests. 90C is within spec though.
Just opposite.
Yes yes. My wording seems to be very bad today. 😅 I meant Zen3 can sustain higher clock at higher temp compared to zen 2 as this quote explains :
5600X: 95C
5800X: 90C
5900X: 90C
5950X: 90C

@Prad_Bitt
I think what CountMike was saying is that Zen 3 has a higher temperature threshold for it's boost algorithm compared to Zen 2.
I could've sworn that 80C was the boost limit on Zen 2 due to all the times the number kept popping up in other threads.
Thank you for clarifying!

Reactions: Phaaze88

jmrnilsson

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Awesome, all sorted, I’m seeing 32/33-38c idle and 40-50C playing most games now!

I believe after installing the chipset drivers AMD puts the power plan is “balanced mode”. I notice this each time because it also inserts a “sleep computer after 30 mins”. Then IMHO it seems the CPU is not a as spiky when it comes to temperatures and frequencies. But once you turn on performance mode it goes al over the place. But performance is good but idle is significant less frequent.

I believe after installing the chipset drivers AMD puts the power plan is “balanced mode”. I notice this each time because it also inserts a “sleep computer after 30 mins”. Then IMHO it seems the CPU is not a as spiky when it comes to temperatures and frequencies. But once you turn on performance mode it goes al over the place. But performance is good but idle is significant less frequent.
Frequency spikes are fine, even temp spikes are fine. Happens on my 3600 literally all the time. What's not fine is thermal throttling, as long as that's not there you're good