Question Ryzen 7 5800x idle temp spikes?

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
Looking through some older posts on here as well as some that I found on Reddit, it seems like idle temperature spikes are a commonality with this CPU, but I had a few other questions I wanted to ask. I recently replaced some of the components as well as the case on my computer. Before, I had a prebuilt Thermaltake Tower 100, as at the time I could get it for cheaper than it was to buy a GPU and other components separately (if I could find them at all). That system was an MITX setup with a small 120mm radiator that struggled all the time to keep this 5800x cool. Eventually I decided to swap parts because I was tired of it getting so hot and shutting down while playing certain games. Here's what my current build looks like:

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow (2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM on top in exhaust config, 1x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM on back in exhaust config)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750w
CPU: Ryzen 7 57800x (not overclocked)
Cooler: Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT
RAM: 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @ 3600MHz (not overclocked)
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB

I'm getting idle temperature spikes, e.g., it sits somewhere around 28C-40C depending on what I'm doing in Windows. But every so often (every few minutes or so it seems), it jumps up to 55C or higher, sometimes in the 60's. I won't have opened a program or done anything differently, it just seems to do this. From what I read on here and on Reddit, I guess this is from handing off all the work to one core? I'm not sure if I mistakenly read that or if that's what's going on. But basically, it causes my AIO fans to ramp up and dump a bunch of air on it before ramping back down again. I'm just not sure if this is normal, and if there's something I can do about it to maybe maybe it more consistent as far as the noise goes. At the moment, I'm using Ryzen Master to monitor the CPU temps and I have the ICUE software that controls the pump set to the Extreme setting to make sure that it stays cool while gaming. I'm just trying to figure out if this is to be expected and if there's anything I can do about it. Any help is appreciated!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Normal function.
From what I read on here and on Reddit, I guess this is from handing off all the work to one core?
Yes. Other cores are sleeping, but if you're not using the right apps, you wouldn't see that.
Idle doesn't exist, and the term needs to disappear. It's never idle, because Windows is always doing something. It's more accurate to say low load instead.
Spikes are going to happen, there's no getting around that.

Until someone who's familiar with iCUE pops in, I believe something can be done about the revving up and down.
I use AIOs that are controlled from bios, and what I've done is set higher temperature limits in advanced mode. One of the curves looks like this:
Cpu upper temperature limit: 75C(mobo won't let me set it any higher)
Cpu fan upper limit rpm: 100%

Cpu middle temperature limit: 60C
Cpu fan middle limit rpm: 80%

Cpu lower temperature limit: 45C
Cpu fan lower limit rpm: 80%

iCUE might have something like that, but I've no idea. The key to reducing, or keeping the revving down should be to raise the middle and lower temperature limits; the defaults for those were awfully low on my board...

Reactions: CountMike

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
Normal function.

Yes. Other cores are sleeping, but if you're not using the right apps, you wouldn't see that.
Idle doesn't exist, and the term needs to disappear. It's never idle, because Windows is always doing something. It's more accurate to say low load instead.
Spikes are going to happen, there's no getting around that.

Until someone who's familiar with iCUE pops in, I believe something can be done about the revving up and down.
I use AIOs that are controlled from bios, and what I've done is set higher temperature limits in advanced mode. One of the curves looks like this:
Cpu upper temperature limit: 75C(mobo won't let me set it any higher)
Cpu fan upper limit rpm: 100%

Cpu middle temperature limit: 60C
Cpu fan middle limit rpm: 80%

Cpu lower temperature limit: 45C
Cpu fan lower limit rpm: 80%

iCUE might have something like that, but I've no idea. The key to reducing, or keeping the revving down should be to raise the middle and lower temperature limits; the defaults for those were awfully low on my board...

Okay awesome. I'll do some more Googling and see if that's possible with this cooler, I couldn't say off the top of my head. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll lead with that.

TRENDING THREADS