Question Ryzen 7 5800x operating temps

poorbugger

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
The other day i was asking about ryzen 5 3600 temps, now i have concern about ryzen 7 5800x on my dad's setup. It idles for around 45 to 55C depending on what I'm doing. However, when i run cinebench r15 with the cpu pushed to full load, the temps is 85C to 90C holy crap. Clock speeds shown is 4.5ghz. The aio installed is the same as mine which is the id cooling zoomflow 240x. Could it be because of his aio orientation? Normally we mount the fans to the radiator then mount the radiator to the top of case. However, he chose to mount fans to top of case then radiator to the fans. So now the radiator is facing inwards of the case instead of the usual fans facing inwards of case. His case has plenty of airflow. It's a tecware forge atx case with mesh front and 2 big intake fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also that is cinebench,in no game you would be able to reach those temps.
AVX/AVX2 games could do it actually.

Is there anything i can do to reduce it? When it gets up to 90C, the fans start ramping up too.
As already mentioned, Ryzen 5000 has a higher temperature range for its boost algorithm, but folks have a tendency to overreact.
AMD says it's fine and within spec, but people are still going to needlessly meddle with the cpu's settings, because their feelings > AMD's own engineers.
Vcore Offset Mode should help. -0.01v, for example.

It could also be that a 240mm hybrid wasn't such a great idea for the 5800X.

Ryzen 3000-5000 are different beasts. It's best to just put the biggest possible cooler one can fit on them and let 'em do their thing.

Reactions: Master Djoza

poorbugger

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015

As already mentioned, Ryzen 5000 has a higher temperature range for its boost algorithm, but folks have a tendency to overreact.
AMD says it's fine and within spec, but people are still going to needlessly meddle with the cpu's settings, because their feelings > AMD's own engineers.

Ryzen 3000-5000 are different beasts. It's best to just put the biggest possible cooler one can fit on them and let 'em do their thing.
Initially that's what I thought too. "Only in cinebench, i'll let it pass". After that i tried installing a game and the cpu was pushed again to 100 cpu usage. Hence the high temps again. He does a lot of muxing audio and video so i think the cpu will be stressed again. I'll try out the vcore offset. Thanks for the suggestion.

poorbugger

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015

Initially that's what I thought too. "Only in cinebench, i'll let it pass". After that i tried installing a game and the cpu was pushed again to 100 cpu usage. Hence the high temps again. He does a lot of muxing audio and video so i think the cpu will be stressed again. I'll try out the vcore offset. Thanks for the suggestion.

poorbugger

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
Okay update here. I did some digging around the web and i decided to switch over to eco mode in the ryzen master. The temperature now is amazing lol. Previously it was 90C in cinebench or on load. Now it's peaking at 55C. Performance loss was about 10% with the initial score being 2459 and the new score is 2160. Gaming wise, i dont notice any difference. Previously it was in high 70s to mid 80s in cold war. Now it's 50 to 60C. I think my dad wont notice anything too in daily usage of muxing, compression and unpacking. I'll take the 10% loss over the 40C reduction any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master Djoza

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Interesting to see how the eco mode worked, I do wonder what the drop in frame rate was tho, my 5800x runs super hot depending on what I'm doing, idles around 40c, hunt showdown occasionally slaps the thing up to a whopping 91c, according to amd this is normal operating temps but still concerns me as I learned that cpus shouldn't hit that high when I started building, when testing to see what it can do in a stresstest I think pirme95, the cpu hit 91c too, and it just stayed there, it didn't get any hotter than 91c. I'm running a 240mm aio, gamemax iceberg cooler in a gamemqx gravity case. I'm tempted to try the eco mode to see if it helps alot but my concern is that the fps impact would be too noticeable, currently most games will run at 144fps except some running completely maxed out, so I'm not sure.

hotaru.hino

Respectable
Interesting to see how the eco mode worked, I do wonder what the drop in frame rate was tho, my 5800x runs super hot depending on what I'm doing, idles around 40c, hunt showdown occasionally slaps the thing up to a whopping 91c, according to amd this is normal operating temps but still concerns me as I learned that cpus shouldn't hit that high when I started building, when testing to see what it can do in a stresstest I think pirme95, the cpu hit 91c too, and it just stayed there, it didn't get any hotter than 91c. I'm running a 240mm aio, gamemax iceberg cooler in a gamemqx gravity case. I'm tempted to try the eco mode to see if it helps alot but my concern is that the fps impact would be too noticeable, currently most games will run at 144fps except some running completely maxed out, so I'm not sure.
It'll probably only be a problem in games where you want to exceed 144 FPS. If you're fine with meeting 60 FPS most of the time, you can detune the CPU heavily so it basically sips power and still be fine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go to guru3d.com and get Clocktuner2. Read and follow the setup instructions exactly, they are pretty simple but necessary.

What that'll do is setup priority load ranges and lower voltages. In affect it'll OC the cores by lowering temps. Ryzens lower clock speeds on individual cores starting at 60°C, so running higher voltages means higher temps, loss of performance. CT2 lowers VID need, which lowers the vcore/SVI2 down to optimized settings for your particular cpu. Default bios settings are set for Any cpu, not yours.

It's not actual overclock as such, if anything it's effectively an undervolt, but Ryzens see lower voltages and therefore lower temps and greater headroom for boosts per core.

On my 3700x, cinebench r20 went from 3753 at stock settings and 84°C to 5010 and 62°C with CT2. Stock settings were seeing 3.7-3.8GHz all core with upto 4.2GHz for 2 cores, to 4.28GHz all core, and 4.4GHz with 4 cores.

SVI2 went from 1.42v down to 1.232v.

Results will vary depending on how you want to setup load ranges, mine is set for stock at 18% or below, high performance multiple cores for 60% and below, and all core at 61% and above since all my games run @ 55% usage at best and don't use all cores. That gives me lowest temps gaming and highest performance possible at max boost on the cores that are used, without boosting unused cores unnecessarily.

It's set to run automatically with windows boot, and now it's done, I ignore it completely, haven't looked at it in months, no need to. It acts as a Ryzen when it should, and an OC Intel when I tell it it needs to.

Last edited:

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
OK so I did something that has helped, I went into bios into amd overlooking enabled pbo or whatever its called and set a thermal limit to the cpu, I set the limit to 80c so now when the cpu hits 80c it throttles itself and doesn't go any higher than that, is that a good solution? I'd imagine I'm losing out on some performance here but I'm not 100% sure, for now at least it seems to have had the desired effect.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS