[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800x operating temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorbugger

Distinguished
The other day i was asking about ryzen 5 3600 temps, now i have concern about ryzen 7 5800x on my dad's setup. It idles for around 45 to 55C depending on what I'm doing. However, when i run cinebench r15 with the cpu pushed to full load, the temps is 85C to 90C holy crap. Clock speeds shown is 4.5ghz. The aio installed is the same as mine which is the id cooling zoomflow 240x. Could it be because of his aio orientation? Normally we mount the fans to the radiator then mount the radiator to the top of case. However, he chose to mount fans to top of case then radiator to the fans. So now the radiator is facing inwards of the case instead of the usual fans facing inwards of case. His case has plenty of airflow. It's a tecware forge atx case with mesh front and 2 big intake fans.

Solution
Also that is cinebench,in no game you would be able to reach those temps.
AVX/AVX2 games could do it actually.

Is there anything i can do to reduce it? When it gets up to 90C, the fans start ramping up too.
As already mentioned, Ryzen 5000 has a higher temperature range for its boost algorithm, but folks have a tendency to overreact.
AMD says it's fine and within spec, but people are still going to needlessly meddle with the cpu's settings, because their feelings > AMD's own engineers.
Vcore Offset Mode should help. -0.01v, for example.

It could also be that a 240mm hybrid wasn't such a great idea for the 5800X.

Ryzen 3000-5000 are different beasts. It's best to just put the biggest possible cooler one can fit on...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Is there anything i can do to reduce it? When it gets up to 90C, the fans start ramping up too.
As already mentioned, Ryzen 5000 has a higher temperature range for its boost algorithm, but folks have a tendency to overreact.
AMD says it's fine and within spec, but people are still going to needlessly meddle with the cpu's settings, because their feelings > AMD's own engineers.

Ryzen 3000-5000 are different beasts. It's best to just put the biggest possible cooler one can fit on them and let 'em do their thing.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished

Ryzen 3000-5000 are different beasts. It's best to just put the biggest possible cooler one can fit on them and let 'em do their thing.
Initially that's what I thought too. "Only in cinebench, i'll let it pass". After that i tried installing a game and the cpu was pushed again to 100 cpu usage. Hence the high temps again. He does a lot of muxing audio and video so i think the cpu will be stressed again. I'll try out the vcore offset. Thanks for the suggestion.

poorbugger

Distinguished

Initially that's what I thought too. "Only in cinebench, i'll let it pass". After that i tried installing a game and the cpu was pushed again to 100 cpu usage. Hence the high temps again. He does a lot of muxing audio and video so i think the cpu will be stressed again. I'll try out the vcore offset. Thanks for the suggestion.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Okay update here. I did some digging around the web and i decided to switch over to eco mode in the ryzen master. The temperature now is amazing lol. Previously it was 90C in cinebench or on load. Now it's peaking at 55C. Performance loss was about 10% with the initial score being 2459 and the new score is 2160. Gaming wise, i dont notice any difference. Previously it was in high 70s to mid 80s in cold war. Now it's 50 to 60C. I think my dad wont notice anything too in daily usage of muxing, compression and unpacking. I'll take the 10% loss over the 40C reduction any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany
Status
Not open for further replies.