[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800X system now, or wait for Alder Lake?

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hello,
My current build is very old, and I have been wanting to upgrade for quite a while.
My thoughts were to buy a 5800X based system, but than the Alder Lake rumors came along. But after some thinking, the said "15-20% improvment" is relative to current gen zen 3 and not zen 4, so I'm again considering buying a 5800X based system.
Now since the GPUs are super expensive, I'm thinking about staying with my R9 390 Nitro with the next build, and later on buy a newer GPU, because I mostly play COD, GTA and RDR2, and I guess it's fine for now for the highest settings with a 1080P monitor (VG249Q). Maybe buying a 3060 but that depeneds on prices.

The build I'm thinking about is:
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS B550M-A (no wifi)
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB CL16
Samsung 980 1TB (and adding my current Samsung 850 EVO 250GB just to have a bit more memory for softwares and such)
Cooler Master MasterBox LITE 5 ARGB
Corsair RM650 650W
and R9 390 Nitro

What are you opinions? Do you think it's worth waiting for the Alder Lake or just buy now the above build (which I think will be more than enough, especially after upgrading the GPU when needed)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I would wait for Alder Lake. It is going to support ddr5 and pcie 5.0, and can use ddr4 and pcie 4.0 now, which makes it upgradable for quite awhile. Why pay good money now and be left behind? It is rumored to drop October/November. That way you can save money up for a newer gpu. The R9 390 will be a bottleneck for both Ryzen 5800 and Alder lake.
I would wait for Alder Lake. It is going to support ddr5 and pcie 5.0, and can use ddr4 and pcie 4.0 now, which makes it upgradable for quite awhile. Why pay good money now and be left behind? It is rumored to drop October/November. That way you can save money up for a newer gpu. The R9 390 will be a bottleneck for both Ryzen 5800 and Alder lake.

Solution

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
That's exactly what made me wait for Alder in the first place, the DDR5 and PCIE 5, not for now but for future upgrades (the Samsung 980 is pcie 3 for example). I hope the 12700 will costs around the same price of the 5800X.
And yea, the GPU is a bottleneck but even the 3060Ti is so expensive, it costs almost as much as all the other component combined.

That's exactly what made me wait for Alder in the first place, the DDR5 and PCIE 5, not for now but for future upgrades (the Samsung 980 is pcie 3 for example). I hope the 12700 will costs around the same price of the 5800X.
And yea, the GPU is a bottleneck but even the 3060Ti is so expensive, it costs almost as much as all the other component combined.
I know gpu prices are crazu, and the rumors about the Rtx 4000 series pricing is not good. Perhaps when the 4000 series comes out all the lower gpu's prices will fall. When The 3080 came out I paid $1200 for mine. I rationalized it by saying the 2080 cost that much. Turns out I got a good deal since 3080 prices went ballistic after that.

logainofhades

Titan

Initial DDR5 isn't going to be really any better, than good DDR4 kits now. This has been the case with every DDR spec change. Gen 5.0 pci-e isn't really necessary either. By the time either of these technologies will offer any real improvement, Intel will already be a generation, or two, further down the line.

Initial DDR5 isn't going to be really any better, than good DDR4 kits now. This has been the case with every DDR spec change. Gen 5.0 pci-e isn't really necessary either. By the time either of these technologies will offer any real improvement, Intel will already be a generation, or two, further down the line.
I'll have to disagree with you on ddr4 being as good as ddr5
ddr4-and-ddr5-comparison.png

I'd wait for reviews. Lots of marketing leaks right now making things look good...but when have marketing leaks ever told the complete story?

Thing is, Alder Lake hits and everyone's gaga for a while. Then the hype for Zen 4 starts and boy, you made a major screw up jumping in so soon. So wait for Zen 4.

But then...what's next on the charts for Intel?

Or just stop the craziness: if you need something NOW buy NOW, don't wait for something else because you'll ALWAYS be waiting for something else. And along with that, give up the idea of getting the latest and trying to live on the bleeding edge as it only leads to disappointment as soon as you realize you spent way too much.

Reactions: Why_Me

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I'd wait for reviews. Lots of marketing leaks right now making things look good...but when have marketing leaks ever told the complete story?

Thing is, Alder Lake hits and everyone's gaga for a while. Then the hype for Zen 4 starts and boy, you made a major screw up jumping in so soon. So wait for Zen 4.

But then...what's next on the charts for Intel?

Or just stop the craziness: if you need something NOW buy NOW, don't wait for something else because you'll ALWAYS be waiting for something else. And along with that, give up the idea of getting the latest and trying to live on the bleeding edge as it only leads to disappointment as soon as you realize you spent way too much.
Yea that's exactly what made me think "well why won't I just buy a 5800X which is great for gaming" but then again thinking on the king run, maybe just this time it's worth waiting for the ddr5 and pcie5 support for future upgrades. I mean, why won't an Alder Lake or Zen 4 support future upgrades?
But yea it's a constant chase after your own tail.