[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800x temperature during normal usage at 55C to 60C with Id Cooling SE 207xt cooler

poorbugger

Distinguished
I recently installed a tower cooler for my dad's cpu. However the temps I'm getting was kinda disappointing. Because I have no other reference for this cooler other than this video Five for 5000: Ryzen 7 5800X Dual Tower Round-up - YouTube where he's using the exact same cooler and cpu, I'm wondering if the temps im getting are normal or good at least. Temperature in the desktop with web browsing and editing documents with microsoft office is 55C to 60C Ambient temperature is around 30C. I forgot what the case is called but it has mesh front panel and atx size with a lot of airflow. I ran the cpuz benchmark test and the temps went up to 83C which is disappointing considering in the video the guy only got up to 75C. The motherboard is Asus Tuf B550 Gaming

Solution
I recently installed a tower cooler for my dad's cpu. However the temps I'm getting was kinda disappointing. Because I have no other reference for this cooler other than this video Five for 5000: Ryzen 7 5800X Dual Tower Round-up - YouTube where he's using the exact same cooler and cpu, I'm wondering if the temps im getting are normal or good at least. Temperature in the desktop with web browsing and editing documents with microsoft office is 55C to 60C Ambient temperature is around 30C. I forgot what the case is called but it has mesh front panel and atx size with a lot of airflow. I ran the cpuz benchmark test and the temps went up to 83C which is disappointing considering in the video the guy only got up to 75C. The...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
he's using the exact same cooler and cpu
Silicon quality is a thing.
They're also working with lower room ambient.

Temperature in the desktop with web browsing and editing documents with microsoft office is 55C to 60C...
If all cores aren't being monitored, what is the basis of good/bad/normal? Too often, people are just looking at the package or Core 0 report, and those don't represent the other cores.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I recently installed a tower cooler for my dad's cpu. However the temps I'm getting was kinda disappointing. Because I have no other reference for this cooler other than this video Five for 5000: Ryzen 7 5800X Dual Tower Round-up - YouTube where he's using the exact same cooler and cpu, I'm wondering if the temps im getting are normal or good at least. Temperature in the desktop with web browsing and editing documents with microsoft office is 55C to 60C Ambient temperature is around 30C. I forgot what the case is called but it has mesh front panel and atx size with a lot of airflow. I ran the cpuz benchmark test and the temps went up to 83C which is disappointing considering in the video the guy only got up to 75C. The motherboard is Asus Tuf B550 Gaming
What are you using to monitor temperatures?

The CPU has a lot of temp sensors and some motherboards even have a socket temperature...yours might, my B550m Tuf Gaming Plus does. That also raises the question of which of the many sensors were being monitored by the review site...they almost never provide good information on that.

You're advised to get HWInfo64 as it provides a clearly labeled reading of many sensors...CPU Die, each CPU core temperature, average CPU Die, I/O die are some. Some of the sensors are 'hot spot' sensors, so spike quicky with processing load to show you the hottest spot on the CPU. Some are a weighted average of many sensors to better show the entire CPU's thermal state. And as well motherboard sensors which would include a socket temp sensor, usually much lower than the other sensors and slower to respond to changes. Incidentally, the CPU fan follows the socket sensor on my Tuf motherboard for fan speed control.

As far as temps for Ryzen: as previously mentioned, it's highly variable based on silicon, room temp, case layout, GPU output and other variables. Your best test to know if your cooling is adequate is simply run some heavy loaded all-core benchmarks...probably the best being Cinebench20. Ryzen's boost algorithm is extremely temperature sensitive so if it's getting expected results then you can be confident that temperature is well enough controlled.

And something to keep in mind is that AMD's told us it's safe and expected for a 5800X temp's to go as high as 90C in heavy use.

Last edited:
Solution
Temperatures look normal to me, it's a hot CPU and you have a high ambient temperature. You could get lower by having a more aggressive fan curve, but as I say it's a relatively toasty chip.

That cooler seems to be decent enough : ID-Cooling SE-207-XT Black CPU Cooler Review - The One to Beat | TweakTown

Prob ambient temps, as others have suggested. As well as the extra heat output from more cores.

shADy81

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
@poorbugger One other thing I'd mention is its always worth removing, repasting and reseating the cooler and seeing if it helps.

I'd also ask exactly what your fan configuration is? If its really hitting over 83 C with just the CPU running in CPUz bench you might expect some throttling if a game were to be played and some hot GPU exhaust is mixed in with that.

poorbugger

Distinguished
What are you using to monitor temperatures?

The CPU has a lot of temp sensors and some motherboards even have a socket temperature...yours might, my B550m Tuf Gaming Plus does. That also raises the question of which of the many sensors were being monitored by the review site...they almost never provide good information on that.

You're advised to get HWInfo64 as it provides a clearly labeled reading of many sensors...CPU Die, each CPU core temperature, average CPU Die, I/O die are some. Some of the sensors are 'hot spot' sensors, so spike quicky with processing load to show you the hottest spot on the CPU. Some are a weighted average of many sensors to better show the entire CPU's thermal state. And as well motherboard sensors which would include a socket temp sensor, usually much lower than the other sensors and slower to respond to changes. Incidentally, the CPU fan follows the socket sensor on my Tuf motherboard for fan speed control.

As far as temps for Ryzen: as previously mentioned, it's highly variable based on silicon, room temp, case layout, GPU output and other variables. Your best test to know if your cooling is adequate is simply run some heavy loaded all-core benchmarks...probably the best being Cinebench20. Ryzen's boost algorithm is extremely temperature sensitive so if it's getting expected results then you can be confident that temperature is well enough controlled.

And something to keep in mind is that AMD's told us it's safe and expected for a 5800X temp's to go as high as 90C in heavy use.

It has been running a year around 90C due to fault aio and i just recently got back to help him replace it. I am using hwinfo64 to monitor the temps.

@poorbugger One other thing I'd mention is its always worth removing, repasting and reseating the cooler and seeing if it helps.

I'd also ask exactly what your fan configuration is? If its really hitting over 83 C with just the CPU running in CPUz bench you might expect some throttling if a game were to be played and some hot GPU exhaust is mixed in with that.
The fans are set on auto. I sort of solve it by following a guide on youtube which sets my cpu clock speed at 4.2ghz and disabling pbo. Now my temps are only 56C when i run the benchmark. The voltage fed is now 1.08V instead of the previous constant 1.44V. I hope it's fine to run the cpu at constant 4.2ghz tho

poorbugger

Distinguished
Silicon quality is a thing.
They're also working with lower room ambient.

If all cores aren't being monitored, what is the basis of good/bad/normal? Too often, people are just looking at the package or Core 0 report, and those don't represent the other cores.
Well I locked the cpu speed at 4.2ghz now and disabled pbo. Temps are running far better at 56C during the bench test with the voltage fed at 1.08V to 1.11V instead of the previous 1.44V.

Well I locked the cpu speed at 4.2ghz now and disabled pbo. Temps are running far better at 56C during the bench test with the voltage fed at 1.08V to 1.11V instead of the previous 1.44V.

Well, okay. At least that's something.

But, it's not an ideal solution. You are in a way just masking the issue. You want your CPU to run at it's full speed with low temps. You are leaving a lot of performance on the table by not using your CPU the way it's meant to work.

But, if you are happy with your result, then that's all that's important.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Well, okay. At least that's something.

But, it's not an ideal solution. You are in a way just masking the issue. You want your CPU to run at it's full speed with low temps. You are leaving a lot of performance on the table by not using your CPU the way it's meant to work.

But, if you are happy with your result, then that's all that's important.
I dont think there's a way for it. From what i research that cpu just runs generally hot if i leave everything on auto unless i get a super beefed cooler. I also cant relocate it to a cooler room for better ambient temps.

shADy81

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
If you only have one exhaust fan and its running slower or is just lower CFM than your cooler fans then you'll be having hot CPU exhaust mix with the coolers intake and it'll just heat up more over time. That could be helped by increasing the speed of the exhaust via a fan curve or adding a second exhaust at the top back position, for example. That will also get a lot worse if your put a GPU into the mix.

You could also just have disabled PBO and run at stock, you wouldnt lose a lot of performance, and if it was throttling because of that it might even run faster with power limits on.

Also its always possible to have a bad cooler mount, and its free to re-do it. But up to you in the end :)