[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800x temps.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Is it normal for a ryzen 7 5800x to be around 40c whilst idle, jumping to 80c when doing something like updates and then sitting at about 80c whilst gaming?. Im using a water cooler GameMax iceberg RGB watercooler 240mm

Solution
-Ryzen 5000 has even more aggressive boost behavior than Ryzen 3000.
-While Ryzen 3000 and 5000 have great power efficiency, the greater thermal density of the 7nm dies beneath the IHS cannot be effectively transferred up through the heatspreader; some of the heat is 'lost' before it can move up.

-Also: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/
Probably not all that helpful, but AMD wouldn't see your current situation as a problem.

Also, it's been like this as far back as Ryzen 1800X; all the x800 parts up to now run rather hot compared to the rest of their respective stacks.
Too bad there's no 5700X in this lineup - but I suspect that's to avoid confusion with the RX...

Makaveli

Splendid
In my eyes your temps are too high -at least the way you describe and assuming 5800X is not overclocked.
I'm having 60$ air cooler on 5900X and (at room temp 22°C) idle temps are about 34°C and at full load (Cinebench) it goes up to about 74°C. And yes, I try to keep my PC silent.
In short, I would expect your AIO to perform at least equal. Maybe you should check thermal paste and if water block is mounted properly.. and if water pump is running at 100% at full load.

PS: Your temperatures are still withing specs, so you're safe in this regard.

As someone that owns a 5800X his temps are fine. You cannot compare the dual CCD chips 5900x,5950x to the single CCD chips for temps. The Dual chips have more surface areas to dissipate the heat.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
As I mentioned in my first post in this thread.. are you sure water pump is running at 100% at full load?
Btw. where's you radiator mounted? On top or in front?
Radiator is mounted on top, im almost 100% the pump is at 100%

As someone that owns a 5800X his temps are fine. You cannot compare the dual CCD chips 5900x,5950x to the single CCD chips for temps. The Dual chips have more surface areas to dissipate the heat.
The thing i will say so far is that the temps dont hit 80c or more really when playing games. So i dont think its really an issue.

Reactions: Makaveli

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
-very good.

-agree. I just somehow expected lower temps with water cooling, that's all.
But then, it's good you asked for opinions, so you at least know for sure. Happy gaming :)
Thank you! and yeah i was shocked when i first saw the temps! the system was built for me by gladiator pc so i didnt really know what to expect, but the temps whilst gaming jump around like normal can hit 80c but it rockets down after lol.

As someone who has used an AMD CPU in various systems since an FX-8300 Vishera, those temps with a 240mm cooler are to be expected. There is so much more than just the cooler..... ambient temp, case airflow etc. My 5900x gets 70-75c under load and 37-42 idle depending on the load with a good 360 Rad at an ambient of aroud 24c, so 15c more with less area to disapate the heat is not out of the ordinary. I also have Intel PC's and at the end of the day Ryzen is still way easier to control from temps than Intel in my opinion.

I have always recommended a top class air cooler like a Noctua N15 OR a 360 AIO to mates for anything above 6 cores on both Intel and Ryzen. That might sound daft but then you get not only temps under control but for the sake of a few bucks you avoid giving the dishwasher competition for noise levels.

If you have the money to buy a 400€ CPU and extra 50€ for a cooler that will do you for 5 years should not be an issue.

That is the 12v rail, it will fluctuate......DO NOT MESS with that. Just let the CPU and Mobo do their thing, your temps are fine and just enjoy your rig and clear your mind. If there was an issue your CPU would throttle and at worst shut down. Use HWinfo64 and it will tell you all you need to know and more. If it says "Thermal Throttle...... NO" then there is no problem to solve. I have never enjoyed playing Userbenchmark personally.... LOL

You could also just up the fan curve in Bios by +10% that when you game it ramps up to get better temps.......

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To start with idle and load are 2 different things.
At idle, a Ryzen puts all cores to sleep status except 1. That single core deals with the entirety of all the background tasks, all the stops and starts of services and windows processes etc. According to power plan, min state is 5%, which isn't 5% on each core, it's 5% of the cpu all cores combined. With 7 cores asleep you get a 35-40% load of a single core. And being that cpu temps always report the highest single core temp, it becomes perfectly normal to see 40°C idle, with spikes over 60° as services initially startup.

Load is different. With any load higher than idle, which includes anything as simple as moving the mouse, all cores become active and sit at a Standby state of @ 2.2GHz. The amount of cores in actual use and the amount of load applied determines the temp.

VID is the voltage supplied by the motherboard, vcore is the amount of voltage demanded by the cpu. SV12 TFN is the amount of voltage actually used by the cpu. Those 3 are not the same thing.

Offset affects VID, not vcore or SV12 TFN voltages.

jtk2515

Distinguished
Tuning PBO would get you better performance results but it you just want a fast way to do it Download CTR 2.0 and install correctly. Put your Bios options in auto. Then all you have to do is hit the Diagnostic Button. It will run about 15 cycles and tell you What your best all core overclock(P2 Profile values) and undervolt is(P1 Profile Values). Then you can just use these numbers in ryzen master under manual mode.

I ran it this morning on one of my 5600x to see what values it would give me for a undervolt. 4.475GHZ@1.15v. So now I have 2 profiles in ryzen master my 4.75GHZ@1.35 for overclock and 4.475@1.15v for a underclock. Overclock runs at ~82C full load. Underclock runs at ~61C full load.

This guy explains it very well, but just leave it on default. Also with CTR you will understand the quality of the Bin you got on your 5800x.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam4HkP8DTk&t=596s

PBO and Tuneing will give you the best performance but it is more time consuming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nemesia

jtk2515

Distinguished
In all honesty I have no intention of overlooking the 5800x at this stage, whilst I'm sure itl push more performance I don't think it's necessary atm in games.

A Underclock is mostly used to reduce Temperatures by reducing voltage with some Performance reductions. A overclock increases voltage and temperatures with performance increases You can choose which Profile you would like to use.

D

Deleted member 2720853

It's fine. Your temps are fine, stop worrying and enjoy your rig. Especially for the 5800X which is the hottest running chip out of all Ryzen 5000 chips.

Also don't put a negative voltage offset on Ryzen, entirely pointless, sacrifices single thread performance for nothing. That 1.45v or above you see is idle voltage where there is low load, it won't matter, because under a full load/gaming the Vcore will drop, otherwise the CPU will fry itself and it's not dumb to do that.

Idle temps have a lot to do with how many TSR-type programs are running in the background I think. If you are a gamer nowadays you can have so many, one for each of the online game store/distribution apps, discord, zoom, even the browsers everything has a helper app running in the background.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also don't put a negative voltage offset on Ryzen, entirely pointless, sacrifices single thread performance for nothing.
Geez, even a little -0.01v is too much?

Idle temps have a lot to do with how many TSR-type programs are running in the background I think. If you are a gamer nowadays you can have so many, one for each of the online game store/distribution apps, discord, zoom, even the browsers everything has a helper app running in the background.
I KNEW having all those different apps would bite people in the butt somehow!

jtk2515

Distinguished
Undervolting Zen 2 and above is pointless. Can't change my mind.

Also Nemesia above recommended -0.1v. That is way too much and WILL downgrade the CPU's single thread.

Stock settings my all core was 4.4GHZ@1.375 ~80C and singlecore boost was around 4.725GHZ. Allcore undervolt was 4.475GHZ@1.15GHZ ~60C. That is .75mhz higher all core and -300MHZ singlecore.

Then you have PBO and using -Curves and +Boost and undervolting. This gets very time consuming and will greatly depend on the Bin of your chip and motherboard Bios, but the top end is greater for single core and multi core sometimes. But if your main goal is lower temps I would do a all core underclock/undervolt.

Here is a good GENERAL guide. If you desire.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5qLJqTSAc

I Cannot stress enough That any changes either performance gains or losses will be Directly a result of the Bin of the CPU. The manufacturer needs to have built in tolerances running at default voltages. The whole point of stress testing is seeing the quality of your chip or we could just all use the same voltages.

PBO Around ~1.3v and negative 10-15 curves I see alot those results getting better single core boosts. But you never know until you try.

Last edited:
Undervolted my 3900X by -0.1V. Got a better cinebench score and better idle temp. How is that pointless?

It boost as high as before. No changes at all except better temp and a few points higher than my last score.

I will remove the undervolt if you can tell me one good reason to do it. 1.5V was too high to begin with.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A Underclock is mostly used to reduce Temperatures
Correct.
by reducing voltage with some Performance reductions
Incorrect. Especially with Ryzen cpus. Undervolting a Ryzen often results in increased performance as boost ratios are determined by voltages, temps and load. With an equal load, a Ryzen will boost higher, longer when less voltage is used and the resultant temp is comparitively lower.
A overclock increases voltage and temperatures with performance increases
Incorrect. A good overclock will decrease voltages, and temps and raise performance. Voltage isn't the primary source of heat in an OC. Amperage is. Voltage is the multiplier, so to speak. You aren't putting 60-90A through a cpu and not have it get hot, at any voltage.

Both Intel and Amd make guarantees on a stable cpu run at stock default settings. Because of the differences in manufacture of the silicon, the cpu, it's components etc, every cpu responds differently. All unique. On a microscopic scale. Meaning some cpus need a little more power, some a little less, some have more wasted heat, some a little less. And that's not including the additional voltage supplied by LLC settings to cover craotastic psu outputs. To balance that out and be able to make a guarantee of stability, cpus are over-spec'd. They'll demand 1.4v if allowed to, and be supplied 1.4v, even if they only use 1.08v.

A good OC will reduce demand and supply (VID etc) and force the cpu to actually use a more moderate voltage to the load requirements, dropping LLC added voltage to a more reasonable level.

It's only in extreme OC's where the cpu needs more voltage than stock settings allow for, and higher LLC added voltage to cover the vdroop. Which exponentially adds to wattage output, and thereby temps.

jtk2515

Distinguished
Incorrect. Especially with Ryzen cpus. Undervolting a Ryzen often results in increased performance as boost ratios are determined by voltages, temps and load. With an equal load, a Ryzen will boost higher, longer when less voltage is used and the resultant temp is comparitively lower.
I was referring to a allclock undervolt/underclock in that post and I did document a increase .75MHZ with -300mhz singlecore

Incorrect. A good overclock will decrease voltages, and temps and raise performance. Voltage isn't the primary source of heat in an OC. Amperage is. Voltage is the multiplier, so to speak. You aren't putting 60-90A through a cpu and not have it get hot, at any voltage.

Again I was referring to allcore and gave my numbers. It is .025mv under stock volts. I could of pushed more voltage for increased performance, but for my bin was not worth it.

As far as PBO setting. I agree that -curve and undervolting will increase performance and I stated such already.

"PBO Around ~1.3v and negative 10-15 curves I see alot those results getting better single core boosts. But you never know until you try."

In all honesty I have no intention of overlooking the 5800x at this stage, whilst I'm sure itl push more performance I don't think it's necessary atm in games.

A Underclock is mostly used to reduce Temperatures by reducing voltage with some Performance reductions. A overclock increases voltage and temperatures with performance increases You can choose which Profile you would like to use.

So again here if you read it in Context. I advised Dreadbeard to undervolt his CPU and then he responded with the above comment. All this was in reference to using CTR 2.0 to get Profile 1 values for a allcore undervolt/underclock.

Last edited:

Latest posts