[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800x temps.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Is it normal for a ryzen 7 5800x to be around 40c whilst idle, jumping to 80c when doing something like updates and then sitting at about 80c whilst gaming?. Im using a water cooler GameMax iceberg RGB watercooler 240mm

Solution
-Ryzen 5000 has even more aggressive boost behavior than Ryzen 3000.
-While Ryzen 3000 and 5000 have great power efficiency, the greater thermal density of the 7nm dies beneath the IHS cannot be effectively transferred up through the heatspreader; some of the heat is 'lost' before it can move up.

-Also: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/
Probably not all that helpful, but AMD wouldn't see your current situation as a problem.

Also, it's been like this as far back as Ryzen 1800X; all the x800 parts up to now run rather hot compared to the rest of their respective stacks.
Too bad there's no 5700X in this lineup - but I suspect that's to avoid confusion with the RX...
D

Deleted member 2720853

I also just tried applying the same -0.1V undervolt on my 3900X. My multicore score in Cinebench increased but barely, but my single core score tanked, so no thanks.

I also just tried applying the same -0.1V undervolt on my 3900X. My multicore score in Cinebench increased but barely, but my single core score tanked, so no thanks.

That's ok. We might not use our system the same way. I don't play games often and If I do it's gonna be a game that doesn't require having an amazing single core performance and I like the temperature difference.

D

Deleted member 2720853

That's ok. We might not use our system the same way. I don't play games often and If I do it's gonna be a game that doesn't require having an amazing single core performance and I like the temperature difference.
Single thread score went from 528 on stock to 490. That's quite the substantial decrease, multicore score went up by a hundred which in my eyes doesn't really justify it as I mostly game. If you're happy with the multicore score, sure.

My temps weren't really all that different, instead the CPU used the temp headroom to boost a bit higher I've noticed.