[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800X with Kraken X63 RGB

Aug 10, 2021
Hi.
I built my first PC. The temp reading is from NZXT CAM. The lowest idle CPU temperature of my CPU is 36C when I covered both sides of my PC case which is Corsair ICUE 4000X RGB. At the front, I replaced three stock fans with three Corsair H150i RGB magnetic levitation fans with maximum performance of spinning at 2400RPM. As running a stress test it's about 80C-90C. Is Kraken X63 RGB enough for 5800X if I do not overclock my CPU? Is Z73 have better performance than X63? In addition, I applied Arctic MX-5 thermal paste onto my CPU. Will the temp of my 5800X be lower if changing better 280mm AIO cooler, if any?

One more question, I know kraken Z63 have no RGB effects but seems it has better cooling performance than that of X63. Is Z63 a good value to go for cooling improvement from X63 for 5800X?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
X63 280 performs better than some 360 model when CPU is fully loaded.
The fans can make the difference.
The AIO market has stagnated, with much of it being the 'same ol, same ol', save for the fans. 140mm typically move more air than 120mm while having a nicer sound profile.
In noise-normalized testing, this means that the coolers using 140mm fans can break even, or even surpass ones with 120mm.
The X63's a 280mm AIO...I'd have to think that's more than enough for a 5800X.

What stress test are you running when it goes so high? Considering temps upwards of 90C are normal and to be expected for Ryzen 5000, as AMD has told us, what you are seeing doesn't seem so bad for a synthetic stress test like Prime95 or Aida64 Extreme.

So what's really important is the temperature you are getting when running a real-world heavy task. Something like Cinebench23 running for 30 min's minimum. A better test of the AIO is to run the test for several hours and watch if temperatures trend higher as temp of the liquid saturates, comparing temp after 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours later.

As far as z63 vs x63: AFAIK they're the same base AIO (pump and radiator) with only difference being RGB effects. They should perform very similarly so I'd say choose one based on the value placed on aesthetics.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
The X63's a 280mm AIO...I'd have to think that's more than enough for a 5800X.

What stress test are you running when it goes so high? Considering temps upwards of 90C are normal and to be expected for Ryzen 5000, as AMD has told us, what you are seeing doesn't seem so bad for a synthetic stress test like Prime95 or Aida64 Extreme.

So what's really important is the temperature you are getting when running a real-world heavy task. Something like Cinebench23 running for 30 min's minimum. A better test of the AIO is to run the test for several hours and watch if temperatures trend higher as temp of the liquid saturates, comparing temp after 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours later.

As far as z63 vs x63: AFAIK they're the same base AIO (pump and radiator) with only difference being RGB effects. They should perform very similarly so I'd say choose one based on the value placed on aesthetics.

I run the test on Passmark Performance Test & Prime95.
Those below were the results. Those videos uploaded onto YouTube are processing so check this later if you cannot check this at that moment.
View: https://youtu.be/_0gznDQzPl4

View: https://youtu.be/MkQ6niA7hEw

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
Videos are blank. But no matter...if it takes Prime95, or any other synthetic stress test, to see temps upwards of 90C I'd consider that acceptable. I'm more interested in temps during real-world stress test like Cinebench23 long term....30 min's minimum, hour preferred.
It is because the video is now processing by the YouTube. So I afraid you need to check this after 10minutes.
Moreover. Despite CPU temp is around 80-90C, the liquid temp is 35C. Is this suggest the problem of my thermal paste application?

It is because the video is now processing by the YouTube. So I afraid you need to check this after 10minutes.
Moreover. Despite CPU temp is around 80-90C, the liquid temp are 35C. Is this suggest the problem of my thermal paste application?
Not necessarily....it takes a LONG time for the liquid to raise temp, that's the nature of it. That's why you'd do a test for two, three hours and compare temp at start and towards end to see how much it's raising.

Problem is rarely paste application, it's usually mounting of the cooler or water block. Just make sure it's evenly tight all around and it will be fine. Especially since idle temps drop as low as 36C.

Aug 10, 2021
Not necessarily....it takes a LONG time for the liquid to raise temp, that's the nature of it. That's why you'd do a test for two, three hours and compare temp at start and towards end to see how much it's raising.

Problem is rarely paste application, it's usually mounting of the cooler or water block. Just make sure it's evenly tight all around and it will be fine. Especially since idle temps drop as low as 36C.

Sorry I set the video private on YouTube. I think now you could check it but the second video running on Prime95 is still processing.

Hello. Those below were the results you concerned, Cinebench23 for 30 min and 9-hour Prime 95 Torture test

I'm not gonna watch all 9 hours of a video...not even 30 minutes, nor spend too much time trying to figure out what you did. But if what I see at the end is right, and that NZXT software is accurate, then CPU temps in the 70's and liquid temp (still) in the 30's after 9 hours of P95 suggests you have way more CPU cooling capacity than is actually needed. You're in great shape.

I'd start lowering fan speed so it's as silent as possible, even under heavy load. You've got the cooling setup for it.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
I'm not gonna watch all 9 hours of a video...not even 30 minutes, nor spend too much time trying to figure out what you did. But if what I see at the end is right, and that NZXT software is accurate, then CPU temps in the 70's and liquid temp (still) in the 30's after 9 hours of P95 suggests you have way more CPU cooling capacity than is actually needed. You're in great shape.

I'd start lowering fan speed so it's as silent as possible, even under heavy load. You've got the cooling setup for it.

Sorry for inconvenience to check it. I point out three main time points which I noted CPU temp on NZXT CAM reached 90C in Prime95.

They are 3:14:54, 7:53:21 and 7:53:35.
It was the highest 93C at 7:53:35.

The NZXT CAM is displaying the CPU package temperature.

In between AMD RYZEN MASTER and NZXT CAM , they always have 4C-5C difference and the first used to having lower temperature.

For example. If NZXT reading is 37, I have 33.89 on Ryzen Master. The NZXT shows 39 while Ryzen Master shows 35.62.
You already bailed me out because at first I suspected the capacity of X63 Andy thermal paste application.
But now in my mind at least this temperature is acceptable.

Last but not least, is CPU Temp 90C-93C on NZXT software (i.e. expected 86C-90C on Ryzen Master) safe for 5800X? I afraid that cause CPU damage for long-term.

Last but not least, is CPU Temp 90C-93C on NZXT software (i.e. expected 86C-90C on Ryzen Master) safe for 5800X? I afraid that cause CPU damage for long-term.
I don't know that I trust NZXT's software, I'd want to use HWINfo64 and look at the Tdie and Tdie average temperatures which is a known trustworthy reading. RyzenMaster is also a good software to use for its proper averaging reading. HWInfo let's you collect data in a spreadsheet for you to run your own analysis on, or just monitor min/max/averages for each metric.

But if it is accurate 93C is high and certainly higher than I'd like to see on a 5000 series. But two things mitigate: one if it's just excursions and not sustained throughout the test or significant portions of the test, that's why an averaged reading is better. And the second and most important: this is Prime95. One of the most unrealistic and irrelevant stress tests there is (Intel Burn Test is another).

You will never run across a functional software that does what P95 or IBT do with the way they run such tightly looped AVX code out of L1 cache so it's highly irrelevant. Most people who run P95 for extended testing on modern AVX-capable processors disable the AVX functionality (using the custom torture test settings) just to try and make it a bit more relevant. If you didn't and your system did that well then you'll be fine.

One thing it did demonstrate, though, is your liquid temp ended up in the 30's. That's shows your cooling capacity is more than sufficient. You're CPU would have shut down, or melted down, during the course of that 9 hour test if the water block was not making good contact with the IHS so that can't be an issue.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
I don't know that I trust NZXT's software, I'd want to use HWINfo64 and look at the Tdie and Tdie average temperatures which is a known trustworthy reading. RyzenMaster is also a good software to use for its proper averaging reading. HWInfo let's you collect data in a spreadsheet for you to run your own analysis on, or just monitor min/max/averages for each metric.

But if it is accurate 93C is high and certainly higher than I'd like to see on a 5000 series. But two things mitigate: one if it's just excursions and not sustained throughout the test or significant portions of the test, that's why an averaged reading is better. And the second and most important: this is Prime95. One of the most unrealistic and irrelevant stress tests there is (Intel Burn Test is another).

You will never run across a functional software that does what P95 or IBT do with the way they run such tightly looped AVX code out of L1 cache so it's highly irrelevant. Most people who run P95 for extended testing on modern AVX-capable processors disable the AVX functionality (using the custom torture test settings) just to try and make it a bit more relevant. If you didn't and your system did that well then you'll be fine.

One thing it did demonstrate, though, is your liquid temp ended up in the 30's. That's shows your cooling capacity is more than sufficient. You're CPU would have shut down, or melted down, during the course of that 9 hour test if the water block was not making good contact with the IHS so that can't be an issue.

i think I found the problem. As I remove the stock dust filter of Corsair icue 4000X on the top, overall CPU TEMP is decreased by 5C.
The dust filter blocked heat from the radiator.
If I fix it, I must remove the filter. But I am unhappy with this option.
If I change to mount the radiator at the front, it solves the heat trapped from the radiator. I wish that change might help if I wanna keep the Dust filter on the top.
As I mentioned, I use three Corsair RGB fans spinning @ 2400rpm to suck the fresh air. I got those fans because I bought Corsair iCUE H150i elite Capellix.
Does this 360mm radiator has better cooling performance than NZXT x63 RGB? If so, I think I might TRY this AIO if I change to mount the radiator at the front.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The purpose of a top filter is to keep out dust that falls in from above. Pointless while the PC is running, because top exhaust fans are blowing it away anyway.
Dust will make it's way through all possible intakes anyway, so the top filter not only keeps falling dust out, but it keeps dust that entered from elsewhere in. Nice job!
Too bad we don't have an optional filter we can slide on the top when the PC isn't in use, or DIY our own filters... /s

The purpose of a top filter is to keep out dust that falls in from above. Pointless while the PC is running, because top exhaust fans are blowing it away anyway.
The cases I've seen with top filters are fairly ugly when it's not in place since it also masks large holes and slots used for mounting different size fans and radiators.

It's easy enough to slip it off when needed for something like running another Prime95 stress test. Then put it back on for routine use.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cases I've seen with top filters are fairly ugly when it's not in place since it also masks large holes and slots used for mounting different size fans and radiators.
I get it, but it's not something that bothers everyone.
Functionality Vs aesthetics strikes again.

It's easy enough to slip it off when needed for something like running another Prime95 stress test. Then put it back on for routine use.
Some models have their filters weaved into the panel. For some of the ones that aren't, they're 'too much trouble to get to', aka, I'm lazy and can't be bothered to remove/install the filter whether the PC is in use or not, so Imma just leave it there.
¯\(ツ)

Jun 8, 2021
Hi.
I built my first PC. The temp reading is from NZXT CAM. The lowest idle CPU temperature of my CPU is 36C when I covered both sides of my PC case which is Corsair ICUE 4000X RGB. At the front, I replaced three stock fans with three Corsair H150i RGB magnetic levitation fans with maximum performance of spinning at 2400RPM. As running a stress test it's about 80C-90C. Is Kraken X63 RGB enough for 5800X if I do not overclock my CPU? Is Z73 have better performance than X63? In addition, I applied Arctic MX-5 thermal paste onto my CPU. Will the temp of my 5800X be lower if changing better 280mm AIO cooler, if any?

One more question, I know kraken Z63 have no RGB effects but seems it has better cooling performance than that of X63. Is Z63 a good value to go for cooling improvement from X63 for 5800X?
Your thoughts appreciated.
This reviewer is noticing the same thing. I'm interested to see how you resolve this, a relative is looking to get a 5800X for a content creation build.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79659veYsSM

Aug 10, 2021
This reviewer is noticing the same thing. I'm interested to see how you resolve this, a relative is looking to get a 5800X for a content creation build.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79659veYsSM
Do not think of overlocking 5800X as it has been near to 90C as running stability test on cinebench23, prime95, whatever...
The CPU is used to being hot in full load even I finally tried Corsair h150i elite capellix 360mm AIO cooler. Despite there is 2C-3C lower for idle temp when using 360mm rad, no noticeable temp difference is seen between 280mm and 360mm at full load. I found that is consistent with reviews from thinkcomputers.org. You might check these links. They suggest lower idle temp for Corsair 360 but better temp at full load for NZXT 280.

X63:

H150i

If your relative go for 5800x, go for NZXT x63 280mm AIO if he/she need a compact PC Case because this 280mm cooler has same performance of 360mm, or even better. There is no need to waste money on one more fan on 360mm.

I have no advise for air cooler because I never use it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 5800X doesn't come close to soaking a 280mm cooler, much less a 360mm one.
Neither of these classes of coolers is a real fix, when the problem lies under the hood of this cpu.

X63:

H150i
Neither of those reviews apply, because the test cpu was an 1800X - completely different from the 5800X.
The 1800X is much like the monolithic dies Intel uses, but it's still in the center, which today's coolers are focused at:
iu

The following is a die shot of a failed 5600X delid, but the 5800X is just like it; the dies are off-center, so the heat isn't radiating directly from the center - this completely screws with current cooling solutions.
iu
It also doesn't help that the 5800X is pushed as hard as it is from the factory; it's become an odd man out, because it can run even hotter than the 5900X and 5950X.

Aug 10, 2021
The 5800X doesn't come close to soaking a 280mm cooler, much less a 360mm one.
Neither of these classes of coolers is a real fix, when the problem lies under the hood of this cpu.

Neither of those reviews apply, because the test cpu was an 1800X - completely different from the 5800X.
The 1800X is much like the monolithic dies Intel uses, but it's still in the center, which today's coolers are focused at:
iu

The following is a die shot of a failed 5600X delid, but the 5800X is just like it; the dies are off-center, so the heat isn't radiating directly from the center - this completely screws with current cooling solutions.
iu
It also doesn't help that the 5800X is pushed as hard as it is from the factory; it's become an odd man out, because it can run even hotter than the 5900X and 5950X.
So you suggest the heating paste is ought to be applied down the centre of 5800X's heat spreader, do you?

Aug 10, 2021
No, I'd make sure the paste completely covers the IHS. Applying paste down the middle doesn't work for all pastes.
Thanks for bringing me about the “inside the 5800x”.

But the result of cooling performance result of thinkcomputer should be similar. Cooling performance won’t be affected due to different CPU model...
X63 280 performs better than some 360 model when CPU is fully loaded.