Question Ryzen 7 5800X3D troubles

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
Unboxed the new ryzen 7 5800x3D, took my old Ryzen 7 2700x out put the new 5800 in. Started the pc up and the pc lit up but nothing happened on the screen. Did this 3 times with the same result of nothing (just pc turning on) Am I needed to update my bios?
Thanks for the help I do not do this often,

Current Bios Version
  • ROG X-570 E motherboard
  • Ryzen 7 2700x CPU (trying to get 5800x3d to work)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800)
  • Custom EK Liquid Loop
  • 1200 watt PSU
  • 6900 GPU
  • 2 TB Samsung Pro M.2

Last edited:
Asking if you need to update BIOS suggests your board's not on the latest so without knowing what version it is on I'd say yes, you need to update it.

Update to the latest. Also reset CMOS after updating and installing the 5800X3d. If it does happen to be on the latest also reset CMOS and try again.

Reactions: ShavedKitty

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
I never updated bios since getting MOBO in 2019, running version 2.20.1271 so I have to be out-of-date. I need to download software from AMD website to a blank USB and go that route?

I never updated bios since getting MOBO in 2019, running version 2.20.1271 so I have to be out-of-date. I need to download software from AMD website to a blank USB and go that route?
You get the BIOS from your motherboard mfr's support web site.

The version to get...the latest...is v 4403.

Read the instructions in your owners manual on how to do the update. It has a BIOS flashback feature where you can update the BIOS with an unsupported CPU in place, or even no CPU, or you can re-install the 2700X and do it through the Q-Flash utility you access through BIOS setup screen.

Okay THANK YOu! I put the 2700x back in, do I need to download the new bios to a USB or can I just use that Q-Flash?
You'll need to download the package and extract the BIOS file from it then put it on a USB drive. You'll look on that drive once you start the Q-Flash utility. The instructions for this are in the manual. You can download a PDF of it if you've lost it from that same Asus support web site.

Also, be sure to reset CMOS once you've re-installed the new processor, after updating the BIOS. The instructions are in your manual.

ASK THE COMMUNITY