News Ryzen 7 5800X3D vs Core i7-12700K and Core i9-12900K Face-Off: The Rise of 3D V-Cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
So 5800X3D is really a one trick pony.

Best at games, full stop, if you have something along the lines of a $1900 3090. The difference looks to be 5-10% with that GPU.

Outside of that , the 5800X3D gets shattered by the ~$80 less expensive 12700K in virtually all productivity tasks, both multi and single thread. And it's not close, like -20% not close in single thread and -30%+ in multi.

wTP773pViHLSj9PtvvwXMa-970-80.png.webp

Makaveli

Splendid

Best at games, full stop, if you have something along the lines of a $1900 3090. The difference looks to be 5-10% with that GPU.

Outside of that , the 5800X3D gets shattered by the ~$80 less expensive 12700K in virtually all productivity tasks, both multi and single thread. And it's not close, like -20% not close in single thread and -30%+ in multi.

I guess its a good thing that AMD is marketing this as a gaming cpu and most people buying it are doing so to game and not productivity task when a higher core count model would be a better fit.

What are you really pointing out that this article doesn't cover?

Last edited:

Tom Sunday

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
He's just doing a little shilling PR for intel, don't mind him.

To me the 5800X3D is simply a rehash or refresh of a 2021 disappearing CPU generation and clearly an apparent last minute cash grab by AMD. Besides AMD being very late to the party. A technically impressive processor and a fitting epitaph for the fledging AM4 era of AMD's Ryzen CPUs. But then being advertised as the 'fastest gaming CPU' is a moniker which serves marketing people more than it does us PC gamers.

It has been known since they first mentioned its release, that it only excels in gaming (if you completely discount it's already very decent multi core usage scores/metrics).

The mere fact that AMD can simply add a stacked cache on top, to bring about what is essentially a generational leap in performance (over existing Ryzen models) is impressive. That's it beats Intels latest and greatest at gaming is no small feat.

Zen 4 plus 3d cache could be trouble for Intels next gen.

It has been known since they first mentioned its release, that it only excels in gaming (if you completely discount it's already very decent multi core usage scores/metrics).

The mere fact that AMD can simply add a stacked cache on top, to bring about what is essentially a generational leap in performance (over existing Ryzen models) is impressive. That's it beats Intels latest and greatest at gaming is no small feat.

Zen 4 plus 3d cache could be trouble for Intels next gen.
It's not like it's some super secret patent that only AMD can do, intel had released the broadwell arch 7 years ago.
If intel chooses to they can release any CPU they want with a huge amount of cache as well, they have foveros going and now foveros direct, it's nothing difficult and they have all the r&d already done.

Losing performance in everything else plus increasing heat and loosing O/C is not a good thing for a complete line of CPUs.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
To me the 5800X3D is simply a rehash or refresh of a 2021 disappearing CPU generation and clearly an apparent last minute cash grab by AMD. Besides AMD being very late to the party. A technically impressive processor and a fitting epitaph for the fledging AM4 era of AMD's Ryzen CPUs. But then being advertised as the 'fastest gaming CPU' is a moniker which serves marketing people more than it does us PC gamers.
To me the 5800X3D is an amazing comeback of a 1.5 years old Zen3 CPU generation with just the addition of V-Cache. It completely breaks intel's and intels fanbois' narrative in half and it does so at almost half the price or even cheaper if you consider a full AL build vs just a drop in of the 5800X3D into an existing AM4 system.

What AMD set out to do and achieved with this CPU is exactly 100% score. Zen4 will again anger and turn intel and intel's fanbois narrative into a lie and make Raptor Lake irrelevant. See ya later, in Q3-Q4.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
As an IT tech we only utilize Intel, reliable and dependable work horses. AMD are for building toys.

You've already flagged yourself then as being the worst one-dimensional "IT tech" in your profession if you can't understand, or acknowledge, how good tech can be from any given particular brand, at any particular time, to serve a particular need. Not sure if you're aware of this, but it's not exactly something to be proud of, being a fanboy.

It's not like it's some super secret patent that only AMD can do, intel had released the broadwell arch 7 years ago.
If intel chooses to they can release any CPU they want with a huge amount of cache as well, they have foveros going and now foveros direct, it's nothing difficult and they have all the r&d already done.

Losing performance in everything else plus increasing heat and loosing O/C is not a good thing for a complete line of CPUs.

I don't disagree with you. However, AMD did it, and it punts their CPU above Intel's 12th Gen higher end CPU's for the most part in gaming. I'm not saying it's ground-breaking, or anything Intel can't do either. Only that it's no small feat nonetheless. Intel had to bring out a whole new platform and architecture to take the 'gaming' crown. AMD jam a big cache on top of a 2 year old arch, and beats Intel.

This was a one off CPU to try out the tech. If Zen4 can bring about another big increase in IPC as Zen 3 did, and with the established increase in performance that the 3d cache brings, then that's good for competition.

edit: You're making out this huge drop in performance. That's a bit misleading. Until ADL The Ryzen 5800x was one of the top dog CPU's. With the 3D version it's a stellar gamer, with slightly reduced single core performance, and more or less the multi core performance. The only difference is that, yes ADL with the number of P cores and E Cores there is some amazing multi core performance.

Anyway, it's good that both AMD and Intel are pushing each other to bring out new advances for CPU's and bring more performance to us end-users.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For those GAMING on AM4, this cpu is a great last hurrah. New system builders/prebuilt buyers or upgrading from an older Intel/AMD platform? They can skip this.

Like, "OMG, it does worse than a 12-7 and the original 5800X! What a dumpster fire!", and so on... <- Blown out of proportion. Productivity isn't the focus of the 5800X 3D, but it's not like it's automatically/instantly garbage at it either.
If it's something a user will do as a side gig, it'll perform just fine. It's not like it's gimped like a 9600K or a Ryzen 2600; the former which lacks threads, and the latter which is a little slow, even though it has a decent thread count.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
To me the 5800X3D is an amazing comeback of a 1.5 years old Zen3 CPU generation with just the addition of V-Cache. It completely breaks intel's and intels fanbois' narrative in half and it does so at almost half the price or even cheaper if you consider a full AL build vs just a drop in of the 5800X3D into an existing AM4 system.
I came from a Z97 that was as good as Ryzen 3000 even though it came out before AM4. I went with a Prime-P, cheap 32 GB DDR5, and a 12700k that was far better and cost less than what it replaced. ALL Ryzen was at best a gaming sidegrade to my 2015 cpu until the 5000 series and anybody who bought into AM4 prior wasted their money for gaming. If you are dropping this in as an upgrade then you can't pretend you didn't waste your gaming bucks on 2015 performance and if you are replacing a 5000 series you are being silly on a dead platform. Wait a couple months. Don't throw more good money after a long history of failure.

What will Raptor buyers do? Drop in upgrade maybe? What will you say then? Same as I am now?
What AMD set out to do and achieved with this CPU is exactly 100% score. Zen4 will again anger and turn intel and intel's fanbois narrative into a lie and make Raptor Lake irrelevant. See ya later, in Q3-Q4.
Tom's has the worst time getting DDR5 to work. The rest see it as enough % better to drop 5800X3D to second. See ya later in Q3-Q4 when Zen4 falls just short of this chip in gaming (and Raptor as well) but is worth it because suddenly DDR5 and more PCIE lanes matter again. Zen4 also won't have the W11 stutter.

Reactions: KyaraM
I don't disagree with you. However, AMD did it, and it punts their CPU above Intel's 12th Gen higher end CPU's for the most part in gaming.
What is considered "for the most part" ?
It all depends on the amount of games you test and how many of them can use the bigger cache, hardware unboxed a site that openly hates intel shows that if you test a big enough number of games the difference becomes basically zero because a lot of games don't use the bigger cache so they are still a lot slower.
AMD-Ryzen-5800X3D-Gaming-Perforamnce-vs-12900K-1.jpg

Intel had to bring out a whole new platform and architecture to take the 'gaming' crown. AMD jam a big cache on top of a 2 year old arch, and beats Intel.
Intel releases a new gen every year...
They didn't have to just to take the gaming crown, they just released a new gen, it was good in gaming, so they advertised that as well as anything else because...why wouldn't they?!
edit: You're making out this huge drop in performance. That's a bit misleading.
Is this directed towards me?!
I just said "Losing performance" you made up the 'huge drop' part.

Islam Ghunym

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
We put the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Intel Core i7-12700K, and Core i9-12900K through a six-round fight to see which gaming chip comes out on top.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D vs Core i7-12700K and Core i9-12900K Face-Off: The Rise of 3D V-Cache : Read more
The comparison can't be worse. Showing tests then concluding with incorrect statements. Tests have shown an average difference in game FPS going from 194 FPS on 12700K to 201 FPS on 5800X3D which is about 3% difference then try advertise AMD as better by about 13% and so with better value because of improperly configured 12700K sample while Intel was the clear value winner here.

It is pretty hard to recommend the 5800X3D over the 12700K just because it gives 3% more FPS... While the 5800X3D is dramatically worse in everything else. High end gamers don't just play games. They stream games on different platforms, they use discord and a lot of other softwares that can make use of the extra cores in the 12700K which can even offer x264 high quality streaming. With the 12700K... gamers can do things they can't with the 5800X3D and it's worthless 3% additional FPS not even at a good price. The CPU is completely dump in comparison with the 12700K. It is pretty hard to recommend an uncapable CPU over the capable one....

Last edited:

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
I came from a Z97 that was as good as Ryzen 3000 even though it came out before AM4

I'm quite sure you believe that yourself.

Me on the other hand upgraded from my Asrock Z97 extreme6 with a 4790k to a x570 board with a 3800x when it was painstakingly clear my 4790k was completely outdated - and had been for a long time.

Not quite sure which cpu you could have had, since the 4790k was the peak of the z97 chipset.

The performance of thethe 4790k can be viewed here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

It had roughly 35% the multithread and 90% of the singlethread 3800x performance. Too bad 4 cores didn't make an excellent gaming nor desktop cpu anymore.

Reactions: Thunder64 and VforV

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I'm quite sure you believe that yourself.

Me on the other hand upgraded from my Asrock Z97 extreme6 with a 4790k to a x570 board with a 3800x when it was painstakingly clear my 4790k was completely outdated - and had been for a long time.

Not quite sure which cpu you could have had, since the 4790k was the peak of the z97 chipset.

The performance of thethe 4790k can be viewed here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

It had roughly 35% the multithread and 90% of the singlethread 3800x performance. Too bad 4 cores didn't make an excellent gaming nor desktop cpu anymore.
2015 cpu, 5775c, and in gaming. In the sentence after the one you quoted I specified that twice.

You can make the exact same arguments for the 5800X3D vs Alder today, from single core performance, to multicore, to platform.

Other than gaming a 3800x beats a 5775c every which way, but stays close in cpu bound gaming. Test Setup and #CPUOverload Benchmarks - A Broadwell Retrospective Review in 2020: Is eDRAM Still Worth It? (anandtech.com) This compares a 5775c to a 3600, but is at stock speeds and +500mhz (4.2ghz all core) is what I got for a reasonably cool 24/7. I also ran 32GB 2400c10.

I was responding to V's statement because hypocrisy bugs me. Your 3800x is definitely more useful for multicore and platform options than a 5775c on a Z97. It won't get completely occupied doing just gaming. And you can upgrade it without getting new ram, mobo. But unlike today's comparison the 5775c came out 4 years before the 3800x.

Edit: If I had a choice between buying a 3800x pc and a 5775c pc I would buy the 3800x. I just already had the 5775c.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder64
Status
Not open for further replies.