News Ryzen 7 7700X Edges Past Core i9-12900K In New Benchmark

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel there is no need to rely on these grey benchmark results now. The chips will officially be available soon and we should just stick with more transparent testing results. But the sense is that Zen 4 is going to be competitive to Raptor Lake. Ultimately, I guess it just boils down to cost or whether people are looking for upgradability. I guess outgoing platforms like the Intel 600 series chipset is likely going to be cheaper and allows the use of DDR4 (which lowers cost), but it also seems that Raptor Lake is going to be the last CPU that uses LGA1700.

Reactions: Makaveli

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I feel there is no need to rely on these grey benchmark results now. The chips will officially be available soon and we should just stick with more transparent testing results. But the sense is that Zen 4 is going to be competitive to Raptor Lake. Ultimately, I guess it just boils down to cost or whether people are looking for upgradability. I guess outgoing platforms like the Intel 600 series chipset is likely going to be cheaper and allows the use of DDR4 (which lowers cost), but it also seems that Raptor Lake is going to be the last CPU that uses LGA1700.

I feel the same. For people that are buying all-new and plan to upgrade in a couple years, AMD will be preferable due to AM5. For people upgrading with current LGA1700 setup Intel will be obvious choice. For everyone else it will be mostly personal preference or what the sales person throws at them. I expect new systems with comparable specs & features (PCIe 5.0, DDR5, ...) to both cost and perform close enough that most people won't notice or care.

KyaraM

Admirable
I feel the same. For people that are buying all-new and plan to upgrade in a couple years, AMD will be preferable due to AM5. For people upgrading with current LGA1700 setup Intel will be obvious choice. For everyone else it will be mostly personal preference or what the sales person throws at them. I expect new systems with comparable specs & features (PCIe 5.0, DDR5, ...) to both cost and perform close enough that most people won't notice or care.
And be unable to make full use out of your chip, as with Ryzen? I'm sorry, but to me it just doesn't make sense to slap a brand new CPU on a 5 year old board. It might for people with tighter budgets, but let's be frank here. Those people won't be able to afford dropping 800-1000 bucks on CPU, MB, and RAM at the same time initially, or even more. DDR5 is still overpriced, the CPUs cost quite a bit as well, and the MBs won't be cheap, either. And at the lower end, the boards might not even be able to support newer chips like with the current socket.

It's a nice feature in theory, but nothing more to me.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
For those who can't understand:
i9-12900K is the top Intel processor with 8 Performance and 8 Efficiency cores (16 in total) at 125W TDP and 241W MTP
Ryzen 7 7700X is the 3rd strongest processor of Zen4 lineup with only 8 cores (all performance) at 105W TDP

I am not even mentioning the pricing of the processor or the motherboard.
Just remember that the stronger AMD processor is the 7950X with 16 cores and 170W TDP and believe me, the top i9-12900K doesn't stand a chance against it...

If I'm reading it correctly then this isn't as impressive as it sounds. The 7700X has not beaten the 12900K in single thread or multi-threaded performance. They've run 16 threads on a 24 thread chip artificially limiting the performance extracted from the 12900K. If this was Cinebench the 12900K would beat it.

Reactions: KyaraM

Tugrul_512bit

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Also AMD's advantage is that its AVX2 is more supported in market rather than AVX512 which even causes performance issues in some servers.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
And be unable to make full use out of your chip, as with Ryzen? I'm sorry, but to me it just doesn't make sense to slap a brand new CPU on a 5 year old board. It might for people with tighter budgets, but let's be frank here. Those people won't be able to afford dropping 800-1000 bucks on CPU, MB, and RAM at the same time initially, or even more. DDR5 is still overpriced, the CPUs cost quite a bit as well, and the MBs won't be cheap, either. And at the lower end, the boards might not even be able to support newer chips like with the current socket.

It's nice that somebody remembers that the upgrade path for AM4 wasn't perfect. Or free. Buying cpus more frequently can cost more or less money than buying a cpu + motherboard less frequently. And the AM5 platform is already a bit dated how it is 95% last year's lga 1700.
i9-12900K is the top Intel processor with 8 Performance and 8 Efficiency cores (16 in total) at 125W TDP and 241W MTP
Ryzen 7 7700X is the 3rd strongest processor of Zen4 lineup with only 8 cores (all performance) at 105W TDP

Just remember that the stronger AMD processor is the 7950X with 16 cores and 170W TDP and believe me, the top i9-12900K doesn't stand a chance against it...
Multicore isn't using the 8 e-cores on the 12900k, only 16 threads. It does show that SMT performs a bit better than HT though. Hopefully they find a fix for squip.

This wasn't any official bench so it's not sure if it was running at 105W (142W actual) we don't know if and how much they are overclockable and if it was overclocked or at official 105W clocks.

Also the 12th gen is over, 13th gen is releasing in less than two month.
The 12900k also won't stand a chance against the 13900k.

D

Deleted member 14196

I totally agree, yet you will see the fan boys support there intel chips

You could make similar arguments about Intel's new line up. The i7 13700K is faster than both the 12900K and the 7700X, also that benchmark has not demonstrated that the 8 cores of the 7700X are as fast as the 16 in the 12900K. I do think though that the 7950X will be the best all round CPU, but I also think that about the 5950X relative to the 12900K.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
"Ryzen 7 7700X Edges Past Core i9-12900K In New Benchmark"

How about we wait for official reviews ?

Edges Past is worthless metric for most. It will be platform cost & agesa stability.
And suprise... platform cost is not there for AM5 & AMD is bad at sofware so you know the agesa will be crap.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

In theory? I'd rather look at practice. Sure AM4 wasn't perfect, but 43€ MSI A520M Pro has bios released on 2022-04-20 saying "Support AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D". Cheapest AM4 board.

Just a smidge more expensive at 50€, also "Supports Ryzen 7 5800X3D processor", GA-A320M-H, BIOS from 2022/06/24.

Sure there will be boards that never got support for ALL CPUs, sure it may happen again, but even so they eventually got more than equivalent Intel boards.

Oh, and these cheap boards still push basically same performance from these newer CPUs, that's what matters.

So if you buy board with good features, you won't lose in the future. Yes, when PCIe 6.0 comes, but that won't be next year. Or something similar that drastically changes landscape.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Now that AMD can design and manufacture competitive CPUs, competition is back. So the pursuit of "faster" isn't as much of a beneficial factor as it was before. Rather, performance per watt, per dollar is now more important as both INTEL and AMD try to outdo each other. I have an INTEL 12700K and as an average home computer user and gamer, it's more than enough for my needs for the future. Probably 4-5 years from now.

Reactions: LuxZg

KyaraM

Admirable
In theory? I'd rather look at practice. Sure AM4 wasn't perfect, but 43€ MSI A520M Pro has bios released on 2022-04-20 saying "Support AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D". Cheapest AM4 board.

Just a smidge more expensive at 50€, also "Supports Ryzen 7 5800X3D processor", GA-A320M-H, BIOS from 2022/06/24.

Sure there will be boards that never got support for ALL CPUs, sure it may happen again, but even so they eventually got more than equivalent Intel boards.

Oh, and these cheap boards still push basically same performance from these newer CPUs, that's what matters.

So if you buy board with good features, you won't lose in the future. Yes, when PCIe 6.0 comes, but that won't be next year. Or something similar that drastically changes landscape.
So either I somehow wrote in a different language than English, reading got exponentially harder all of a sudden, or you misunderstand what I said on purpose (or didn't read at all...), because I got a seriously hard time wrapping my head around where your problem even is. I kinda rule out one and two since I clearly wrote in English and others understood me, too. Anyways. Here we go.

First. Neither of those boards even match my qualifier, namely, 5 years or older.

Second, the 500 chipaet it literally AMDs latest, so it doesn't count at all, ever, in this context. Again, since that didn't seem to connect, I am talking about upgrading from the first or maybe second CPU generation of Ryzen CPUs on a first generation board to the latest generation.

Third, if that isn't enough, "not utilizing the CPU to its fullest" does not mean only the raw performance of the CPU itself, but also stuff like connectivity. Some modern graphics cards will have huge performance losses, and future ones, if rumors are true, might have, too. Why? They only use 8 instead PCIe lanes, and those old boards have PCIe 3.0, which, again, causes problems. Unfortunately times two, those vards that exist today are also cards you would expect in a cheap system like this, just for the double ouch. However, you will also lose access to PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSDs, which can be an issue for some users, and possibly also fast RAM plus OC depending on the board. That's a lot of cuts.

Fourth and last, are you seriously proposing slapping a high-end CPU on a board with crappy VRMs like these?
I mean you can, I guess, if you don't mind your great shiny new CPU dying after a year or two, or your board. Pretty zure that anyone who even considers bying one of those does, though. If you want your CPU to thrive, get a board with more than 6 crappy power phases. AKA one that isn't trash.

I can't currently check any more specs etc for those boards since my mobile connection is agonizingly slow this morning for some reason, but what I have seen so far is more than enough I need to k ow to steer far, FAR away from those cheap trash boards... and that doesn't even have anything at all to do with what I was even talking about in my post.

Also, again because you apparently didn't get that, either. Boards with good features will be far too expensive for anyone with a small wallet.