Question Ryzen 7 7700X worked fine before. Replaced AIO and now PC doesn’t boot and CPU light is on. No bent pins found

Dec 10, 2022
Hey guys weird problem here

Cpu: Ryzen 7 7700x
Mobo: gigabyte b650m Aurors elite
Gpu: Msi RTX 3060 ti
Psu: lian li sp850
Ram: Corsair vengeance 32 (16x2) 5600 Mem: Samsung 980 pro m.2

Windows 10 home

Built pc a week ago and it was working fine, but aio was too bulky to deck out the case with those nice lian li sl 120 fans. It was an artic liquid freezer II.

Actually, I noticed it was putting some pressure on the capacitors next to the cpu since the damn cpu mounting plate is enormous on the artic aio. Nothing seemed damaged or swollen though.

So switched to Galahad 240mm AIO and a bunch of lian li sl 120 fans. Hooked up to lian li hub and connected everything together. AIO pump is 3 pin and on CPU_opt and put everything else from hub on cpu_fan1

When I start up all lights come on and all fans spin. But now have a red solid cpu light and weirdly the front IO power button won’t shut down pc, have to use switch on the PSU to shutdown, the front power pins are seated properly and never had this issue prior.

Troubleshoot I did :

1. Reset CMOS
  2. I figured could be the wrong fan headers so switched from running all fans -> hub -> cpu_fan1 to now all case fans -> hub -> sys fan 1 and radiator fans only to cpu_fan 1
That, unfortunately, didn’t work so I thought worst case I bent some pins, it did take quite a bit of pressure installing this aio in. I took it all apart but no pins were bent (yay I guess?)

I noticed some artic mx5 thermal paste on the top of the Ryzen cpu where the little capacitors are so I cleaned that off with isopropyl as best as I could, (Underneath is clean) reapplied a new non conductive thermal paste and prayed for the best

Unfortunately, none of these things worked

Tldr: PC was fine before, switched aio, CPU light is solid red. Tried switching fan pins, cleaning thermal grease tried reinstalling aio, no bent pins were seen.

Any ideas about what is next?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's not the wrong header, relieve some pressure from the CPU's mount by the AIO, perform a 90 degree anti-clockwise turn for the screws holding the pump/block down. A similar issue happens with all of Intel's platforms when you overtighten the cooler mount/mechanism to cause some pins to bend and prevent contact with the CPU's underside(it doesn't damage the pins, per se, it just inhibits a contact from happening).