Question Ryzen 7/9 with Server 2019 Datacenter / Esxi

Folks,
I look a look at some older threads that hit this topic to a degree but didn't find what I was looking for.

I am considering building a testbed for virtual machines and with the new Ryzen CPU ( haven't build a desktop in many years ). Specifically I am interested in hearing from anyone who uses a well equipped custom Ryzen desktop with either a baremetal esxi install, or Windows Datacenter with Hyper-V.

Ultimately, I really just need tons of cores and tons of memory and buying old servers isn't doing to for me.

Thank you for any input into this build.

P.S First post in a decade. I do get a sticker? I guess I can give myself a sticker. ;)

kanewolf

Titan
Folks,
I look a look at some older threads that hit this topic to a degree but didn't find what I was looking for.

I am considering building a testbed for virtual machines and with the new Ryzen CPU ( haven't build a desktop in many years ). Specifically I am interested in hearing from anyone who uses a well equipped custom Ryzen desktop with either a baremetal esxi install, or Windows Datacenter with Hyper-V.

Ultimately, I really just need tons of cores and tons of memory and buying old servers isn't doing to for me.

Thank you for any input into this build.

P.S First post in a decade. I do get a sticker? I guess I can give myself a sticker. ;)
I would look at threadripper. With "tons of memory", ECC makes sense. Desktop Ryzen doesn't support ECC.

Reactions: Nemesia
That is probably what I meant Kanewolf. Thank you! I think my question is still valid, but for future readers, yes indeed, Threaddripper was the first consumer CPU that made me think I could pull this off reasonably well. Provided compatibility with enterprise solutions.

Nov 3, 2020
Hi,
Do you have your answer?
I'm trying to build up a computer that would be Hyper-V dedicated and cannot find a clear statement about Ryzen latest CPU and the compat with Hyper-V.
Thanks