[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 and ryzen 9 same cpu usage ?

Jan 11, 2021
I was watching a benchmark for ryzen 7 5800x and ryzen 5900x. In some games e.g hitman 2 , at certain points r7 and r9 would have the same cpu usage , the same fps and the same 1% lows. Sometimes it would only be a 5% cpu usage difference. How is this possible if one is 8c 16t and one is 12c 24t ?

Solution
I was watching a benchmark for ryzen 7 5800x and ryzen 5900x. In some games e.g hitman 2 , at certain points r7 and r9 would have the same cpu usage , the same fps and the same 1% lows. Sometimes it would only be a 5% cpu usage difference. How is this possible if one is 8c 16t and one is 12c 24t ?
They have the same cores, so if a game only uses 6 cores you will not see a difference between the 6, 8, 12, 16 core variants. You will only see a difference in performance in games that utilize more cores. You will not get more performance just because you have more cores. This is why single core clock speed matters more than the number of cores you have. If you want to see a difference you need to run multi-core applications like...

USAFRet

Titan
Because a lot of games don't/can't use all the cores/threads of a CPU.

Reactions: CountMike

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
They have the same cores, so if a game only uses 6 cores you will not see a difference between the 6, 8, 12, 16 core variants. You will only see a difference in performance in games that utilize more cores. You will not get more performance just because you have more cores. This is why single core clock speed matters more than the number of cores you have. If you want to see a difference you need to run multi-core applications like Blender.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
That would make the CPU with twice the threads have half the usage not the same usage, which is why the OP is wondering how that happens.
1 CPU is endowed with 6 threads, and a different one is endowed with 12 threads.
A particular software only uses 2 threads.

Whether there is the capability of 6 or 12 is of no consequence, if the software is only going to use 2.