Ryzen 7 RAM question

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv
Hello, I'm thinking of buying a R7 2700 and the Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.

I currently have 3 8 gig sticks of KHX2666C15D4 and i'm wondering if i will have any issue(s) using it in that build? or is it not compatible?.

Thanks!

I don't see those modules among the list of user verified memory, so I'd be somewhat skeptical, but there is likely a lot of memory that has NOT been added to the list as well. Memory compatibility has gotten much better via BIOS updates over the last year, but there are STILL compatibility issues with some memory modules especially on older Ryzen chipsets. The B450 and X470 boards don't have a LOT of problems, but I still generally recommend sticking to those modules listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/649ay8/ram_collection_thread_please_post_your_ram/

But it's probably worth at least trying with your current modules first, and then if it doesn't work or there are issues, you may need to find other memory that IS on the user verified list. Modules using Samsung B-dies are much preferred, but a lot of other memory has been made to work as well.

The one thing that stands out though is that I have not seen a whole lot of Kingston or HyperX modules that have been verified for use on Ryzen chipsets, so that makes my doubts even stronger, but again, worth trying first. You'll be no worse off than you are now if they don't work and won't have to buy additional memory if they do.

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv

Thanks for the quick answer!.
I'll give my current memory a try. I see that most lists right now are from July 2017 so who knows?, might be ok.
If not i'll have to wait to order something that will work with those components i suppose. RAM is sooOooO expensive right now in Canada!. Well, everywhere really lol.

Actually, most memory is back down pretty close to where it was when the prices started going up two years ago. I don't expect to see it fall any further during 2019. I think it is pretty much stable right now so if you're going to need memory I'd just get it. Very doubtful you will see prices get a whole lot better anytime soon. But, you never know.

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv

Ya money is an issue right now. $285 for 16g roughly. Kinda sucks to i'm just going to cross my fingers and hope these modules can at least post the machine.

Well, these are not "fast" in the sense that they don't have a high frequency, but they are at least inexpensive somewhat AND are verified on Ryzen. They are also CL14 CAS latency which means that they are most probably Samsung B-die modules.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($147.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $147.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-29 15:14 EDT-0400

These will work as well, and are much faster, which Ryzen also likes.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($170.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $170.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-29 15:18 EDT-0400

Both are much less than the 285.00 you suggested. Perhaps that is though local shops, which are always much more expensive.

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv

Ya that was from Amazon. They can be a bit pricey with some things.
I'll keep those modules in mind though. Right now my budget allows a CPU and a MB. trying to scrape buy without having to worry about things like rent lol.

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv

UPDATE TIME!

SO!, got all the components!. Slapped it all together and everything seems to be smooth asf.

Went with an MSI B450M Gaming Pro Motherboard instead of the Gigabyte one after reading reviews about a lot of issues for the Gigabyte boards.

SO, Confirmed: KHX2666C15D4 Works on the B450m, out of the box. No BIOS flashing needed.

I'd still check to see if there is a newer bios. There are a basket full of issues that get addressed through frequent bios updates these days including a lot of issues with graphics card architectures. But that's your call. Generally, these days, I usually always recommend updating the bios anytime there is a new release. Often, without updating the bios, even Windows might cause issues after the spring and fall updates.

BARRlCADE

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
www.twitch.tv

I plan to update at some point. I'm going to let the cpu settle in with some extended tests and such first. I'm just happy that my current ram worked :)