Ryzen 7 stuck at 2133Mhz RAM

bregn710

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
I am running a MSI X370 Pro motherboard bios version 1.20, 16Gb of 3200Mhz G. Skill TridentZ RAM, and a Ryzen 7 1700 overclocked to 3.9 Ghz. I enable the XMP in my bios and set the ram frequency to 3200Mhz, although right below it the adjusted frequency is 2133Mhz. The ram is running at 2133Mhz and I can't seem to find a way to overclock it to 3200Mhz. Are their additional steps I would need to take to successfully do this? Should I mess with the dram voltage or advanced settings? I know Ryzen 7 has had many issues with overclocked ram but I thought with BIOS updates this has been fixed. Has anyone else been able to use this set of ram with a ryzen 7 processor and successfully overclocked it?

Solution
The 1.20 BIOS is not the current BIOS according to the MSI website. You should verify that you have the latest BIOS. Even the 1.5 BIOS is a month old. I would expect a new one soon with even more RAM compatibility improvements.

kanewolf

Titan
The 1.20 BIOS is not the current BIOS according to the MSI website. You should verify that you have the latest BIOS. Even the 1.5 BIOS is a month old. I would expect a new one soon with even more RAM compatibility improvements.

Solution

bregn710

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Thank you I didn't even realize my bios was so outdated I assumed since my msi live manager said everything was up to date that I was good but I checked again and it doesn't search for bios updates. This fixed my issue thank you for your help

Christian_133

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Did the BIOS update fix your issue? I have been having a problem with overclocking my RAM. Every time I OC the RAM, the OC on the processor goes back to stock settings. The RAM stays at the same stock settings as well. I have updates my BIOS to the latest and I am running 16Gbs of Corsair LPX 3000Mhz ram in an ASRock AB350 PRO4 motherboard.

bregn710

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
It's touchy I have successfully over locked my ram to 3200, but it doesn't seem to stay there. Next time I turn it on it fails to boot and goes back to stock. The 2933 seems to be more stable, but still ocationally crashes on boot and goes back to stock. This still needs updates to fix issues I believe.