Ryzen 7 System Stuttering Horribly

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hello all, been a lurker on this site for a long time but I finally decided to make an account because I am at my wits end with my system. I just recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and Memory from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, Asus M4A79XTD-Evo Mobo, and 14GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory (8GB Team Dark + 6GB cheap generic Dell prebuilt stuff) to a Ryzen 7 1700, Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5, and 16GB of G. Skill Trident Z RGB (CL14, 3200MHz). I can give more detailed specs when I get home but I'm currently doing this from work so I can hopefully get some ideas to try by the time I go home. Anyway, I put the whole system together about 3 weeks ago, and it gave me quite a few hiccups setting the whole system up, but I finally got it working, and was really enjoying it. I would occasionally experience in-game stutter (Win10 1703) but that's a known issue and it wasn't often enough for me to worry about it.

Well fast forward to this past Saturday, and after building a PC for my friend, we wanted to test it out and play Rocket League together. I hop on, and my framerate is stuttering BAD. Frequent dips down to 25-40fps when I usually run 60fps stable (MSI RX 470 Armor 4G w/ VSync enabled). My audio also started hitching and popping, and even with no programs running my cursor would jump around and freeze. It seems that the ENTIRE system is stuttering, not just games. I looked online and I found one youtube video that showed the Gigabyte Lighting Service causing his issue but it didn't fix mine.

So as far as troubleshooting, here is what I have done so far.

• -Verify Temps (everything well under 70C at ax load)
    -Check System Usage (stuttering happens even with 1% CPU and 20% Mem Usage)
    -Verify Drivers
    -Fresh install of Windows 10 (on my SSD and a separate HDD to make sure SSD wasn't bad)
    -Replace Surge Protector (saw a thread where that was the cause)
    -Remove Cable Extensions
    -Moved cables out from under the MoBo to rule out EMI (I have a desk PC, I can post pictures for a visual of what I'm talking about if need be)
    -Disabled XMP and restored Memory clocks to MoBo default (2133MHz)
    -Updating BIOS to latest version (F10)
    -Resetting BIOS
    -Clearing CMOS
    -Ran Memtest (passed)
After all this, I found two programs, LatencyMon and WhySoSlow, LatencyMon recorded my longest driver delay was my RAID driver so I copied my files off my RAID, deleted the arrays, and ran Windows that way (since Gigabyte's RAID driver installation is weird how you have to install them with a disk during Win10 installation, I figured that could have been my cause) and still had stutter. WhySoSlow said my Kernel Responsiveness, App Responsiveness, and my SM BIOS delays were all at critical levels although I don't know what to make of all of that. One thing I did notice is that my Win10 fresh install from the disk (1607) didn't stutter hardly at all while once it updated to 1703 shortly after, it became borderline unusable from all the stuttering (on both the SSD and HDD installs). The only things I feel I have yet to test are CPU, MoBo, Memory, and PSU, because I don't have spares of any of those around. I'm getting a gut feeling that I drew the short stick with my motherboard, but I want to eliminate any other possibilities before RMAing my board. Oh also something worth noting, one of my RAID HDDs up and died right after I pulled all my data off of it (THANK GOODNESS) so I ordered some new ones (needed an excuse for new storage anyway, current drives are 5-6 years old) that will be here tonight. Not sure if it's unrelated or not but felt it was worth mentioning.

• FULL SPECS
    MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    Memory: 16GB (2x8) G. Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz (14-14-14-34 Timing)
    SSD: Zotac T400 120GB
    HDDs: 2x WD Black 1TB in RAID 0
    GPU: MSI RX 470 4G Armor OC (on EZDIY 10" Riser Cable)
    PSU: RaidMax Scorpio 735W

Well that's about everything guys. I seriously need help figuring this one out. It sucks spending ~$700 on system upgrades to have everything not work properly. Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
So I did end up figuring it out! No, it wasn't my motherboard, and no it wasn't my power supply. It was my d*mn PCIe riser cable! I didn't think to check it because the audio would stutter as well. Had it just been my video, that would have been my my first assumption. Now to find a new riser cable that isn't garbage...

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

Could you give me a brief summary? Reddit is blocked at my work :/

My Gaming 5's Audio Chips are garbage. I have to use an older Realtek Driver with all audio enhancements disabled or else audio gets corrupted with distortions and cracklings.
It appears Gigabyte has a QC problem with these mobos...

The only issue I've ran into with the gaming 5 is a strange "stutter" when you boot up the system from a cold state. If you reboot the computer (to do so, you need to push the reset button, or windows will be stuck at the "rebooting" screen"), then everything will work 100% normally.

My Gaming 5 has some USB problems too. Sometimes, an USB port doesn't work and i must restart the computer to make it work again.

Mine works ok I guess, except I can't enter bios settings, so I can't really change anything.

etc.

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

My audio chips seem fine, because when it isn't stuttering (used to only happen occasionally) I don't have any problem with audio. Everything is clear, crisp, and the Audio Enhancement control panel is fantastic. The stuttering happens whether I'm using rear audio, USB DAC, or FP headphones, but my cursor is also stuttering and sticking at the same time, which tells me it's not the audio chip itself.

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

Probably, I was just wondering if there was anything else that I could try before being without a motherboard for 2 weeks+ for an RMA. Also, as far as your inability to enter the BIOS, do you have fast boot set to Ultra Fast? Because I did that and having it enabled disables usb devices until further in the boot process, so unless you have a PS/2 keyboard you have no way of entering the BIOS short of resetting it. :/ Had that happen to me last night during my testing.

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

That's not the PSU I have, it's this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152065&cm_re=raidmax_scorpio-_-17-152-065-_-Product (maybe I do only have a 635W I can't seem to find a 735W, it's been forever since I actually looked at that, I can let you know in an hour when I get home)

In regards to using a spare PSU, I don't have any on hand curently, which sucks. I might be able to borrow the PSU from the build I just did for my friend, but only if hes not busy.

officialbay35

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
So I did end up figuring it out! No, it wasn't my motherboard, and no it wasn't my power supply. It was my d*mn PCIe riser cable! I didn't think to check it because the audio would stutter as well. Had it just been my video, that would have been my my first assumption. Now to find a new riser cable that isn't garbage...

Solution