News Ryzen 7000 CPUs Get Price Cuts In China, Up to 27 Percent Lower Than U.S. Pricing

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
In my opinion Ryzen 7000 prices are not unreasonable but AM5 mobos costing in excess of $500 are. Thankfully Asrock and perhaps other brands do offer perfectly fine, fully optioned mobos for $300 or less in the U.S. I don't see any justification for AM5 mobos costing in excess of $500 other than price gouging of the gullible.

YMMV

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
For "casual use", the most expensive MBs sure are excessive. These MBs usually offer something extra though, such as better VRM, better audio codec, and/or more SATA ports. So e.g. professionals working with music and/or sound, they may prefer an option which goes beyond what the usual end-user needs.

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
All this does is to confirm what wise consumers already knew for years anyway. NEVER purchase any AMD, etc. product at launch, unless the worst has happened and you need an replacement fast.

Reactions: thisisaname

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I guess the market has spoken, prices for AMD CPUs and Mobos were too high on release. They should've released with 20% lower MSRPs to begin with, IMHO. I'll consider the upgrade if the prices drop by 25%, if not I'm perfectly fine with the system I currently have.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like the above post said, it's not apple to apple if you compare 11/11 sales prices to retail.

Under current management Tomshardware probably will make up headline of "massive price drop of xxx chips!!!" using Black Friday sales prices as if these prices were regular retail.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
All this does is to confirm what wise consumers already knew for years anyway. NEVER purchase any AMD, etc. product at launch, unless the worst has happened and you need an replacement fast.

I'd just say: never buy anything you don't need or cannot get value from.

When I got my first 5800X just after launch, I needed a workstation much faster and bigger than anything I had. At 128GB RAM I wanted ECC and there was simply nothing else anywhere near that range from Intel or else, so I grabbed one of the very few Ryzen 5000 CPUs that were available when it launched. I really wanted the 16 core, but those were gone before I could even blink and would not return for months, even at scraper prices.

I swapped it perhaps a year later, when the 16 core prices had come down to earth and I was able to sell the 8 core at a reasonable €100 loss over a year or so.

I've never earned money on IT hardware that got more valuable after purchase, but I've made plenty of money using hardware that I bought. So I don't feel like complaining about dropping prices, but I also try to hit behind the very leading edge--if there is a choice.

For my latest upgrade, replacing a Haswell quad-core Xeon 24x7 lab server board, there just wasn't any DDR4 W680 board with ECC that could actually be bought and DDR5 ECC is again twice as expensive as DDR5--if you can get it. Both Ryzen 7000 and Raptor Lake failed in pricing and availability for a low noise server.

So finally I got a 5800X3D instead (yes, after the price drop), with 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC and an X570S mainboard, that actually lets me use my GPU, my RAID6 SmartRAID controller and my 10Gbit Ethernet NIC, which none of the current crop of Ryzen 7000 boards allow (Intel W680 would, but it's vaporware).

For €1000 total it's perhaps 80% current theoretical optimum at 50% price, but it's twice everything the Haswell offered almost 10 years ago, except noise, heat and price.

Not going for the absolutely leading edge is good advice generally, not something I see more true for AMD.

That's why the 16-core workstation got its RTX 3090 upgrade just a couple of months ago at half of what an RTX 4090 is going for now. I see it as an RTX4080 with 24GB of CUDA friendly VRAM. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why their prices seem to be going up, even if Nvidia has surplus stock.

Reactions: bit_user

creatorbros3

Honorable
Sep 15, 2017
I guess the market has spoken, prices for AMD CPUs and Mobos were too high on release. They should've released with 20% lower MSRPs to begin with, IMHO. I'll consider the upgrade if the prices drop by 25%, if not I'm perfectly fine with the system I currently have.
As a business, it does make some sense to launch a bit higher than what it ought to be. There are always people that will buy it straight away, no matter the price. Might as well get those suckers for what you can, then lower it to the common consumers price and let them in the door. For us, it just means waiting a few months and letting the price come down a bit. They will be reasonable at some point I'm sure.

Reactions: prtskg and bit_user
Over the last year the China / U.S. Foreign Exchange Rate has tank'd minus 16% or so, and there are rumors that the zero-COVID policy in China may be eased somewhat.

Over the last 2 weeks, "Chinese state banks sold dollars to support yuan"
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/26/chi...n-late-on-tuesday-reuters-citing-sources.html

"Major Chinese state-owned banks sold U.S. dollars in both onshore and offshore markets in late trade on Tuesday to prop up the weakening yuan, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

Such dollar selling comes as the Chinese currency is facing mounting downside pressure, with the onshore yuan hitting the weakest level since December 2007 and the value of yuan against currencies of its major trading partners at a five-month low."

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
For my latest upgrade, replacing a Haswell quad-core Xeon 24x7 lab server board, there just wasn't any DDR4 W680 board with ECC that could actually be bought and DDR5 ECC is again twice as expensive as DDR5--if you can get it. Both Ryzen 7000 and Raptor Lake failed in pricing and availability for a low noise server.
I agree with the rest of your post, but I feel this point. I had wanted to buy an Alder Lake with W680 board, but I wanted DDR5. Due to the virtual impossibility of sourcing ECC UDIMMs, I am left waiting.

I now plan to buy a Raptor Lake CPU, but by the time I can find ECC DDR5 UDIMMs, I'll probably end up waiting for a W780 board, as well. No such thing has been announced, but it's hopefully just a matter of time. It'd be a shame if their workstation users missed out on the PCIe improvements afforded to Raptor Lake desktop boards.

So finally I got a 5800X3D instead (yes, after the price drop), with 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC and an X570S mainboard,
Sweet!

that actually lets me use my GPU, my RAID6 SmartRAID controller and my 10Gbit Ethernet NIC, which none of the current crop of Ryzen 7000 boards allow (Intel W680 would, but it's vaporware).
What's the issue? Not enough PCIe slots?

As for the W680 boards, they're real! I keep one in my New Egg shopping card, just to watch pricing & availability. It comes in & out of stock.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As a business, it does make some sense to launch a bit higher than what it ought to be. There are always people that will buy it straight away, no matter the price.
Let's not forget: they launched it ahead of Raptor Lake. If you wanted the fastest CPU at the time, bar none, AMD had it.

We'd also do well to consider that it's typically easier to lower prices than to raise them. So, if they'd come out with a price that's too low, and all of the product got snapped up, that would leave them in an awkward spot. Starting with a price that's on the high side leaves you some room to adapt to competition and market conditions via discounts or eventual repricing.