News Ryzen 7000X3D Voltages Maybe Be Limited to 1.35V After Der8auer's CPU Catastrophe

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Seeing over 1.35v in transients is common with modern chips. 1.55 isn't a crazy voltage either. Just more than you can cool, but ln2 fixes that.
Maybe the cache broke off because of the huge thermal gradient.

Reactions: artk2219

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Apparently, Tom's sponsoring for this YouTuber.
I hope I'm wrong tho.
To be fair, his activity goes beyond that. E.g. the company Thermal Grizzly has been working with him in the development of thermal pastes, and the company Alpenföhn has been working with him in regard to cooling solutions - such as in regard to the AiO Gletscherwasser (280 or 360). And then there is also some collaboration with the retailer Caseking, where one can get among other custom built rigs such as this one:
sipc-560_sipc_560_01.jpg

And such products may not be on par with the big players on the international market, in particular in regard to availability. But aside from his renown as overclocker, it arguably puts him in the scope of such "business news" as well.

To be clear, his name has no relevance for me when picking components. But as I have Caseking pretty much around the corner here in Berlin, I went through the listings of components they have there, and then ended up with an Alpenföhn AM5 CPU cooler - which is why I know a bit about it.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Although it was pointed out that a sample of one is not enough for a conclusion, the article itself with the title, the wording and the pretending to be funny image, leads to imply these CPUs are bad for overclocking.

Instead of an article, this looks more like a low blow to AMD.

Reactions: btmedic04
If this guy were any good, he wouldn't be on YouTube.
he is a well known XOC record holder, is CEO of a company (thermal grizzly) that makes delidding your cpu less risky as well as producing some of best thermal solutions & CEO of HWbot, is a mechatronics engineer, has a very popular youtube channel (in 2 languages), & more.

YT doesn't mean you are good or bad.
YT is a platform to share your ideas/craft to public for free.

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
Although I generally respect this YouTuber's opinions and methodology, 1.35 directly to 1.55 seems a bit cavalier. Perhaps 1.4 to 1.45 to 1.5 might have been the proper sequence. Then again, it was someone else's CPU!
He probably didn't think or know the new X3D Cashe chips was that fragile. Put the blame on AMD for this. Not the tester, HeHe

Intel chips at +1.55 and LN2 is good match. With AMD's X3D not. There is for a reason AMD have locked out OC'ing fro their gaming chips. But AMDs QC and QM problems made it so that they forgot lock down the voltage.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
is CEO of a company (thermal grizzly) that makes delidding your cpu less risky as well as producing some of best thermal solutions & CEO of HWbot
Wow, I knew he made custom delidding kits (which now seem pretty outdated) and CPUs, but I didn't know about HWbot or Thermal-Grizzly.

I could corroborate the HWbot claim:

...however, Thermal Grizzly just says they "worked closely with" him.

DSzymborski

Titan
His LinkedIn Profile.

https://de.linkedin.com/in/roman-hartung-24868490

Also, the 011 Dynamic case was, in fact, a collaboration between him and Lian Li, and at times it's seemed like half the builders were using that case (I use the larger one, it's a great case). His reputation is well-known and I doubt that ASUS brought him in to give the CPU a gentle, stable overclock; I'm quite certain the intention was to have him torture the thing one way or another, though he may not have intended to push it all the way into destructive testing zone.

Amdlova

Distinguished
To be fair, his activity goes beyond that. E.g. the company Thermal Grizzly has been working with him in the development of thermal pastes, and the company Alpenföhn has been working with him in regard to cooling solutions - such as in regard to the AiO Gletscherwasser (280 or 360). And then there is also some collaboration with the retailer Caseking, where one can get among other custom built rigs such as this one:
sipc-560_sipc_560_01.jpg

And such products may not be on par with the big players on the international market, in particular in regard to availability. But aside from his renown as overclocker, it arguably puts him in the scope of such "business news" as well.

To be clear, his name has no relevance for me when picking components. But as I have Caseking pretty much around the corner here in Berlin, I went through the listings of components they have there, and then ended up with an Alpenföhn AM5 CPU cooler - which is why I know a bit about it.

I have wanted some time ago the Alpenföhn Olymp but the freight was too costly. Some day maybe I get :)

And de8auer are great on YouTube I like the videos and the info.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I doubt that ASUS brought him in to give the CPU a gentle, stable overclock; I'm quite certain the intention was to have him torture the thing one way or another, though he may not have intended to push it all the way into destructive testing zone.
From what I've read, LN2 overclocking pretty much always results in destruction of the hardware used. So, they went into it knowing the hardware would be a writeoff. The only issue seems to be that he didn't get any results before that happened. Still, knowledge (and publicity) were gained.

Last edited:

dalek1234

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 27, 2019

That's Tom's Hardware for you. And it almost seems like the large voltage jump without trying anything in-between was done on purpose, to make the CPU look bad. That, or this Der8auer guy is either reckless or a bonehead.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I remember going with +0.01v steps at a time when trying to max overclocking on my 7700k.
What a pansy I was 🤷‍♂️
You had all of the time in the world, only time was lost in your taking your time. That isn't the case with LN2 where condensation and thermal gradients make component failure an imminent threat.

A quick search on LN2 voltage showed 1.506 for Zen4 and 1.792 for Raptor. That is a vast difference. I've personally seen 1.6v transients on 10nm before I limited the top to 1.5v in bios. Just upping the clocks and not adjusting voltage, with default Asus enhancements enabled, using normal consumer components in a normal case with normal cooling.
I also disabled those enhancements because my chip uses enough power with Intel's limits enforced as it is. And I appreciate things being as simple as possible.

Seems like TSMC makes low power, relatively delicate chips and Intel's 10nm node is a high power tank where the other components of your system will fail before it takes damage.

Maybe Der8auer should have been more careful, but he might have just gotten 3 attempts before something broke and 1.51,1.52,1.53v final is not nearly as good as a one shot 1.55v OC run. Also even a guy like him probably doesn't have access to completely unlocked setups for completely locked chips often. If I were in his situation I may have tried for what I thought would be the best I could get as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Although it was pointed out that a sample of one is not enough for a conclusion, the article itself with the title, the wording and the pretending to be funny image, leads to imply these CPUs are bad for overclocking.

Then you missed the part about motherboard manufacturers patching to drop the voltage limit from 2.5v to 1.35v.
But hey, I guess those AMD motherboard manufacturers are just shilling for Intel, right?

Reactions: Sluggotg