Question Ryzen 7600X extremely slow boot times?

Jan 23, 2023
Hi all, I was studying this review of 7600X ( https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-7600x/28.html ) and I was shocked reading the "cons" in the "Value and conclusion" page: "Very long boot times" - Explained as:

"When I first booted up my Zen 4 sample I assumed it was hung and kept resetting/clearing CMOS. After first boot, the super long startup times improve, but even with everything setup you'll stare at blank screen for 30 seconds. To clarify: after a clean system shutdown, without loss of power, when you press the power button, you're still looking at a black screen for 30 seconds, before the BIOS logo appears. I find that an incredibly long time, especially when you're not watching the POST code display that tells you something is happening. AMD and the motherboard manufacturers say they are working on improving this—they must. I'm having doubts that your parents would accept such an experience as an "upgrade", considering their previous computer showed something on-screen within seconds after pressing the power button.
Update Sep 29: I just tested boot times using the newest ASUS 0703 Beta BIOS, which comes with AGESA ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.3 Patch A. No noticeable improvement in memory training times. It takes 38 seconds from pressing the power button (after a clean Windows shutdown), until there ASUS BIOS POST screen shots. After that, the usual BIOS POST stuff happens and Windows still start, which takes another 20 seconds or so."

Really?!? Should i upgrade my full rig, add a super fast SSD which should load Windows in 1-2 seconds, and wait 30 (i have read recent posts on reddit about even 45 secs seconds to get to the POST? View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y49yhi/how_are_your_7000_series_boot_speeds/
)

Anyone knows if there's still this problem? I have read that even updating the motherboard bios doesn't help, and these are recent posts, there are many...

They also talk about the RAM "training" that should improve after sometime, but it doesn't.

I mean, with my 11 years old i7 3770K and SATA SSD, i am on the desktop in 20ish seconds :)

Last edited:

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Hi all, I was studying this review of 7600X ( https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-7600x/28.html ) and I was shocked reading the "cons" in the "Value and conclusion" page: "Very long boot times" - Explained as:

"When I first booted up my Zen 4 sample I assumed it was hung and kept resetting/clearing CMOS. After first boot, the super long startup times improve, but even with everything setup you'll stare at blank screen for 30 seconds. To clarify: after a clean system shutdown, without loss of power, when you press the power button, you're still looking at a black screen for 30 seconds, before the BIOS logo appears. I find that an incredibly long time, especially when you're not watching the POST code display that tells you something is happening. AMD and the motherboard manufacturers say they are working on improving this—they must. I'm having doubts that your parents would accept such an experience as an "upgrade", considering their previous computer showed something on-screen within seconds after pressing the power button.
Update Sep 29: I just tested boot times using the newest ASUS 0703 Beta BIOS, which comes with AGESA ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.3 Patch A. No noticeable improvement in memory training times. It takes 38 seconds from pressing the power button (after a clean Windows shutdown), until there ASUS BIOS POST screen shots. After that, the usual BIOS POST stuff happens and Windows still start, which takes another 20 seconds or so."

Really?!? Should i upgrade my full rig, add a super fast SSD which should load Windows in 1-2 seconds, and wait 30 (i have read recent posts on reddit about even 45 secs seconds to get to the POST? View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y49yhi/how_are_your_7000_series_boot_speeds/
)

Anyone knows if there's still this problem? I have read that even updating the motherboard bios doesn't help, and these are recent posts, there are many...

They also talk about the RAM "training" that should improve after sometime, but it doesn't.

I mean, with my 11 years old i7 3770K and SATA SSD, i am on the desktop in 20ish seconds :)
I think it’s still an issue. What you described is my experience with the 7600 and x670e Crosshair hero motherboard I recently built.

Jan 23, 2023
Sorry to hear that man. How long does it take for you to get to the post or to the desktop? Did you try with xmp off in the bios?

I'm glad i read about this problem before. I really wanted to buy the 7600 too, but i finally yesterday ordered the intel i5 12400F to avoid any issue.

Anyway i think, and i honestly hope, that AMD will wake up and will solve this issue with newer bios. And you will have a future proof MB where you will be able to upgrade to a 7950X3D or some beast like that in the future :)

Apr 7, 2023
Anyway i think, and i honestly hope, that AMD will wake up and will solve this issue with newer bios. And you will have a future proof MB where you will be able to upgrade to a 7950X3D or some beast like that in the future :)

7950X3D on an ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F here. 50 seconds to POST. Scary as hell when you make an adjustment of any kind and it takes that long.

Apr 7, 2023
No updated for this BIOS yet?

There was a BIOS update March 30, 2023, which I installed. It doesn't change anything; RAM training is still extremely slow. However, it turns out that there's an option in BIOS that you can turn on: "Memory Context Restore." I had one very long boot after that, and since it's been MUCH quicker. Links for steps below. Note that the guy on YouTube who mentions it warns that it can make your system more unstable, and he even BSODs when he boots after demoing the change, but I've not had any problems since turning it on yesterday. Try at your own risk/be ready to revert.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpzhpjkTjs

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10isyna/mobo_doing_a_full_memory_training_session_with/