Question Ryzen 7700x goes over TJ Max for a second when playing CPU intensive game

Nov 8, 2022
My Ryzen 7700x when playing BF1 average around 70 C - 80 C from. But there will be times when the game first loads or occasionally the CPU CCD1 TDie reaches 100C for a brief second before jumping down to 70C.

Is this ok behaviour? Most of the time it stays below TJ max of 95C, only occasionally for a brief second it goes to really high temperatures like 100C
My CPU cooler is Bequiet Dark Rock 4, non pro versoin

View: https://imgur.com/sf2Vld2

The TJMax from product page says it's 95 C.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-7700x

So I guess it's ok for the temperature to reach above 100C briefly from time to time?
95C is where it starts to throttle, 105C is limit, but briefly reaching that shouldnt matter, CPU/agesa takes care of that if its within safe limits or not
7000 CPUs are hard to cool due to really fat IHS
look at boost clock, if it doesnt drop too much

https://www.techspot.com/review/2537-amd-ryzen-7700x/
here they used 360mm aio and they peaked at 97C

Nov 8, 2022
They are designed to run hott to max performance. I don't see any issue it should protect itself with stock settings from burning a hole in your motherboard, game on!
Would there be an issue where my CPU temperature is too hot for my motherboard (MSI x670 pro WIFI)? The CPU is meant to run pretty hot at 95C, max at 105C.

Jan 14, 2023
If it bothers you, you have a few options..

Eco mode to limit power and sacrifice some performance.
Step down to a 7700(non-X) which runs much cooler even on stock cooler, though Eco mode on the 7700X will be similar.
Undervolt with Curve Optimizer and cap power.
Setup a custom loop that won't suck compared to an AIO(I think they're garbage TBH).

Unfortunately, any CPU that runs stock over 5Ghz is going to run hot since they are power hogs. Personally, I would sacrifice performance as that level of heat(and noise) is unacceptable to me, though I'm fine with 60 FPS so I wouldn't need something that powerful.

You should be ok, expect AM5 to have teething issues or maturity issues for at least another few months. The current AGESA codes, and BIOS's do have some issues, so this minor issue will probably be fixed soon. Same goes for chipset drivers.

A very short spike to 105C shouldn't hurt anything, as previously mentioned 95C is what these new Ryzen processors target, to maintain maximum performance.

To make you feel at ease, there is a scientific reason 95C is ok with these processors - at least according to what I've seen. If you check the core voltage in CPU-Z or HWINFO64, you'll notice Ryzen 7000 chips run at some of the lowest core voltages we've ever seen from any Ryzen CPU generation.

The voltages are incredibly low, as low as 1.05 to 1.1v and 1.2v (under a full multi-core load) depending on the chip. These voltages are laptop CPU levels of low, and we've had mobile chips operating at 90+C for decades at this point in time without problems. Effectively, the lower the voltage - the lower the CPU degrades - meaning CPU temperature headroom can increase.

This is why low CPU temperatures are often recommended when overclocking and overvolting. The higher you overvolt the chip, the more heat sensitive it becomes, and the more unstable it gets, with higher voltages and higher temps at the same time.

Obviously this is without even mentioning any additional thermal enhancements TSMC's 5N node includes by itself.

So you should be perfectly fine. If it we're me, I'd ask AMD about it, but not worry about it that much. A few milliseconds at 105C is MUCH different compared to hammering the chip at 105C 24/7.

TRENDING THREADS