Build Advice Ryzen 7800X3D vs 77700X ?

acegaming90

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Last edited:

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
When you do get your system built, don't be surprised if you cant get DOCP to overclock your RAM all the way up to the 6,000MHz rating. Some motherboard/CPU/RAM combinations are more overclockable than others and 6,000MHz is not "guaranteed" in all systems.

As Lutfi said, if you fit two more 6,000MHz DIMMs at a later date making a total of four DIMMs, be prepared to drop the memory overclock to 5,400, 5,200 or even lower to regain stability. If you think you might need 64GB RAM soon, it's better to buy 2x32GB now, if you can afford it.

acegaming90

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
I'd get the X3D CPU but have you narrowed down what motherboard you want to go with? As for your ram, they should be good to drop into the slots. Just 2x16GB, right? I wouldn't advise on a 4x stick layout on the Intel and AMD platform since that can cause stability issues.
Any recommendations ? I had 77700x build but i have been seeing x3d being worth it perhaps (100 euro more) for longevity so was considering it ,
this is the mobo i had picked but if there is any recommendations over it? even for 77700x system let me know.

acegaming90

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
When you do get your system built, don't be surprised if you cant get DOCP to overclock your RAM all the way up to the 6,000MHz rating. Some motherboard/CPU/RAM combinations are more overclockable than others and 6,000MHz is not "guaranteed" in all systems.

As Lutfi said, if you fit two more 6,000MHz DIMMs at a later date making a total of four DIMMs, be prepared to drop the memory overclock to 5,400, 5,200 or even lower to regain stability. If you think you might need 64GB RAM soon, it's better to buy 2x32GB now, if you can afford it.
What would you recommend as combo then? i am not PC wizard , i have been out of loop for over a decade, The ram i got was compatible with 77700x But i saw there is same ram but slight CL (not too sure what that is) difference on PC part picker.

I am open for recommendations , If you would change anything in the build , Even the PSU or GPU for a longivity build. I do however don't wanna stretch the budget too high

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
The slight differences you may be seeing in CL are due in part to the fact that RAM can often be used at a number of different clock speeds. Faster speeds generally mean higher CL numbers.

As you increase the memory bus speed (in MHz) all the timings (in clock cycles) are increased by the DIMM manufacturer, to maintain stability.

In the screen grab below for DDR4 RAM (sorry I couldn't find a suitable shot in English), you can see that at 1200MHz, the CL is 18 and at 800MHz, the CL is 11.

N.B. Aida64 displays single data rate frequencies, but most people use the double data rate, so 1200MHz in Aida is normally described as 2400MHz DDR and 800MHz in Aida as 1600MHz DDR.

The table of timings is held in the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) chip on each DIMM.

SPD-v-AIDA64-1.png

When you start a machine, the BIOS checks the SPD for a set of memory timings and uses them to boot the machine.

If you want to overclock your DDR5 RAM, e.g. up to 6,000MHz, you select the appropriate XMP (Intel) or DOCP (AMD) profile and the BIOS loads a different set of timings from the SPD, which may or may not work.

The higher you push your memory overclock, the more likely it is to fail. When the RAM overclock is too high, you get a BSOD or complete failure to load Windows.

If you want to play safe, buy RAM in the mobo QVL (Qualified Vendor List). Memory that isn't on the list usually works, but success is not 100% guaranteed if the RAM hasn't been checked by the mobo manufacturer and placed on the list.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
For longevity, I would pass on the x3d versions.
While you may be gaming exclusively initially, in time you may do other things like streaming/discord/apps.
On other environments the X3D versions do not do as well as their base counterparts.

Your part picker list does not show your selections.

As to ram, I can't say. Be very careful to buy compatible ram. Look for a explicitly supported kit from eith a ram vendor support list or from the motherboard support list.
Buy all the fam you will ever need up front. Adding ram later is not well tolerated, if at all.