Question Ryzen 7950X3D + x670E not stable with 4 sticks of RAM with DOCP/EXPO enabled

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Hello, recently I built a new system and I'm running into some issues... The system isn't stable with 4 sticks of RAM with DOCP/EXPO enabled.

CPU: R9 7950X3D
MOBO: TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS (latest bios)
RAM: KINGSTON FURY BEAST KF560C40BB-16 DDR5 6000MT/s CL40-40-40 1.35V XMP
GPU: MSI RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
WC: MSI MAG CORELIQUID P360
CASE: NZXT H9 FLOW

Fresh windows install, latest drivers, chipset drivers, etc etc

When I stress test (blend on P95) with only 2 sticks (2X16) with DOCP enabled (6000MT/s), the system is stable, but when I stress test the system with all the 4 (4x16) sticks, I get errors on P95 (not running)

With DOCP off, the system is stable (no errors) with the 4 sticks, but the RAM is only at 3600MT/s.

Tried DOCP 1, DOCP 2, DOCP TWEAKED, same results.

I tought AMD already fixed this.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, can you please state the BIOS version that you're on for your motherboard at this moment?

AMD's latest issue is that Asus are pumping voltages that are enough to blow your processor. As for the issue, can you regain stability when using 2 sticks of ram instead of 4? The issue is the same on Intel's 13th Gen platform, whereby using high frequency sticks of ram and populating all 4 slots on a motherboard will bring up stability issues.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
For the sake of relevance, can you please state the BIOS version that you're on for your motherboard at this moment?

AMD's latest issue is that Asus are pumping voltages that are enough to blow your processor. As for the issue, can you regain stability when using 2 sticks of ram instead of 4? The issue is the same on Intel's 13th Gen platform, whereby using high frequency sticks of ram and populating all 4 slots on a motherboard will bring up stability issues.
TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS BIOS 1601
1601 Version
Beta Version
9.13 MB
2023/05/04
"Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TX670EPL.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.
1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.
Please note that this is a beta BIOS version of the motherboard which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. The UEFI, its firmware and all content found on it are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. ASUS does not give any warranties, whether express or limited, as to the suitability, compatibility, or usability of the UEFI, its firmware or any of its content. Except as provided in the Product warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by law, ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from using this beta BIOS."

100% stable with 2 sticks w/ DOCP 1 enabled.

But with 4 sticks and DOCP enabled, I didn’t get any bsod or anything, just errors on P95, so I’m assuming the system is unstable (I didn’t even get the time to get a bsod tho, I finished the build today)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS BIOS 1601
1601 Version
Beta Version
9.13 MB
2023/05/04
"Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TX670EPL.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.
1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.
Please note that this is a beta BIOS version of the motherboard which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. The UEFI, its firmware and all content found on it are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. ASUS does not give any warranties, whether express or limited, as to the suitability, compatibility, or usability of the UEFI, its firmware or any of its content. Except as provided in the Product warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by law, ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from using this beta BIOS."

100% stable with 2 sticks w/ DOCP 1 enabled.

But with 4 sticks and DOCP enabled, I didn’t get any bsod or anything, just errors on P95, so I’m assuming the system is unstable (I didn’t even get the time to get a bsod tho, I finished the build today)
That is not the exact memory part number because it comes as nothing. Or you bought 4 different packages of 1X 16GB stick.

EDIT this part number? KF560C40BB-16

Looking at Kinston part codes you bought 4 individual sticks instead of a matched kit so good luck getting them to work together. (don't take that the wrong way)

This is the reason most times we tell people to post first buy after we would tell you not to buy individual sticks, you should of bought a 2X32GB set as in one package if you need 64GB.

Post a link to the memory you bought.

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
Hello, recently I built a new system and I'm running into some issues... The system isn't stable with 4 sticks of RAM with DOCP/EXPO enabled.

CPU: R9 7950X3D
MOBO: TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS (latest bios)
RAM: KINGSTON FURY BEAST KF60C40BB-16 DDR5 6000MT/s CL40-40-40 1.35V XMP
GPU: MSI RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
WC: MSI MAG CORELIQUID P360
CASE: NZXT H9 FLOW

Fresh windows install, latest drivers, chipset drivers, etc etc

When I stress test (blend on P95) with only 2 sticks (2X16) with DOCP enabled (6000MT/s), the system is stable, but when I stress test the system with all the 4 (4x16) sticks, I get errors on P95 (not running)

With DOCP off, the system is stable (no errors) with the 4 sticks, but the RAM is only at 3600MT/s.

Tried DOCP 1, DOCP 2, DOCP TWEAKED, same results.

I tought AMD already fixed this.
I think Buildzoid once stated that it was not recommended to run EXPO on a 4-DIMM setup.

D

Deleted member 2838871

This is the reason most times we tell people to post first buy after we would tell you not to buy individual sticks, you should of bought a 2X32GB set as in one package if you need 64GB.

That's what I was told... get 2x 32 sticks instead of 4x 16 sticks so I did... and haven't had any stability issues.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
That is not the exact memory part number because it comes as nothing. Or you bought 4 different packages of 1X 16GB stick.

EDIT this part number? KF560C40BB-16

Looking at Kinston part codes you bought 4 individual sticks instead of a matched kit so good luck getting them to work together. (don't take that the wrong way)

Post a link to the memory you bought.
Yup, I bought 4 different 16gb RAM sticks... but they are exactly the same (supposedly)

I get this part number from the dimm box, so I don't know if it's the correct one.

So far, the system is stable with EXPO disabled, I didn't even try with the EXPO enabled... I will sell this 4x16gb sticks and get a 2x32gb kit.

Link: https://www.visaovip.com/produto/me...t-ddr5-16gb-6000mhz-preto-kf560c40bb-16/32406

** I think I forgot a 5 on the part number.. the correct is KF560C40BB-16

But like.. Wth AMD??! Why this is happening? Will a bios update fix this someday?

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yup, I bought 4 different 16gb RAM sticks... but they are exactly the same (supposedly)

I get this part number from the dimm box, so I don't know if it's the correct one.

So far, the system is stable with EXPO disabled, I didn't even try with the EXPO enabled... I will sell this 4x16gb sticks and get a 2x32gb kit.

Link: https://www.visaovip.com/produto/me...t-ddr5-16gb-6000mhz-preto-kf560c40bb-16/32406

** I think I forgot a 5 on the part number.. the correct is KF560C40BB-16

But like.. Wth AMD??! Why this is happening? Will a bios update fix this someday?
Their sold in matched tested sets for this reason. Individual sticks could even be made using different parts.

Reactions: jkrm

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019

Their sold in matched tested sets for this reason. Individual sticks could even be made using different parts.
System not stable with EXPO enabled.. according to OCCT, all 4 dimms are exactly the same, but, apparently it doesn't matter! 4 dimms on 7 gen, big no!

Latest bios
BIOS 1616 2023/05/16

YDs97PJ.jpg

D

Deleted member 2838871

System not stable with EXPO enabled.. according to OCCT, all 4 dimms are exactly the same, but, apparently it doesn't matter! 4 dimms on 7 gen, big no!

Man that sucks. As said people told me 2x 32GB was the best option. Are you gonna switch?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Yep, I'm gonna switch to 2x32GB 6000Mts. It's the only option.

If you haven't made the purchase yet I highly recommend these.

G Skill Trident Z5 Neo

What's funny is I've always been a G Skill user and chose that ram based on past experiences... and after I built the PC I saw a Gamers Nexus video with that exact ram and it was mentioned that AMD had recommended that 6000mhz option... so I feel good about my choice.

No stability issues at all.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
If you haven't made the purchase yet I highly recommend these.

G Skill Trident Z5 Neo

What's funny is I've always been a G Skill user and chose that ram based on past experiences... and after I built the PC I saw a Gamers Nexus video with that exact ram and it was mentioned that AMD had recommended that 6000mhz option... so I feel good about my choice.

No stability issues at all.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will look for these ones for sure. Btw, very nice looking dimms.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Regardless of any other issues, I'd return the TUF motherboard and replace it with any other brand. The High Voltage issues remain in ASUS BIOS setups which will eventually kill your CPU.

AS Rock and MSI seem to be safely under the 1.30v requirement
I’ve been looking for the sOc voltage, with EXPO disabled, it was locked at 0.94v, and when enabled, 1.24v.. should I still be worried about that? And it’s not just the 7800x3d cpu’s?

I think I will just disabled EXPO for now until I get the 2x32 setup, hopefully ASUS will release a new bios in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for the sOc voltage, with EXPO disabled, it was locked at 0.94v, and when enabled, 1.24v.. should I still be worried about that? And it’s not just the 7800x3d cpu’s?

I think I will just disabled EXPO for now until I get the 2x32 setup, hopefully ASUS will release a new bios in the meanwhile.

Per the investigation by Gamers Nexus, the actual voltage delivered was much higher than the amount reported in BIOS,
(Set to 1.30, delivering 1.41 before the beta bios update, still 1.39 after). This was on the very top-end Crosshair board.)

D

Deleted member 2838871

Per the investigation by Gamers Nexus, the actual voltage delivered was much higher than the amount reported in BIOS,
(Set to 1.30, delivering 1.41 before the beta bios update, still 1.39 after). This was on the very top-end Crosshair board.)

Yeah my MSI Mag x670e Tomahawk shows 1.3v in BIOS and HWinfo/Aida 64 and I've had no further issues since updating to that BIOS on 4/28. The BIOS I was running when mine imploded was removed from MSI's page. I just got the new AGESA update the other day.

EXPO has been enabled... too much performance left on the table not to run it.

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Wow, that's bad. I will keep EXPO disabled until I get a 2x32gb config and ASUS sort this thing out. Am I safe with EXPO disabled? I think so, right?