[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x high temps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, I recently did a new build and its the first I've done in approx 10 years.
specs are as follows:
Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
msi x470 gaming plus mobo
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB - extra fan added to heat sync
Fractal Design Meshify ATX High Air Flow Case
Rtx 2070 Super GPU
I have 2 intake fans in the front, 2 exhaust mounted on top and one exhaust on the back.

My concern is while gaming my CPU temps are hitting 85-90c
is this normal temps for the Ryzen 9 3900x? I can't seem to find a straight answer. 90c seems pretty high and somewhat concerning for me, but again, this is my first build in 10+ years and I've been out of "the game" for a while.

Solution
I wouldn't recommend a Hyper 212 for a 3900x. That's your issue. I'd swap to something like a dark rock pro 4.

90C should be your max temperature under system load, but if you are getting that while gaming that's not great.

However there still might be hope, try re-installing the CPU cooler. Make sure you are using enough thermal paste (i recommend the X pattern) as you should be using more paste than Intel CPUs for example.

Worst case scenario and you can't get temps down and you can't get a better cooler, drop your TDP in BIOS from 105W to 65W. This will dramatically lower core clocks.

If you need a reference, I run a hyper 212 EVO Black Edition (basically identical to your unit) on a Ryzen 5 3600, on MAX load i get anywhere...

KTMx

Commendable
Sep 11, 2020
@dimtodim @KTMx
You folks also have a significant difference in gpu - assuming both signatures are still accurate.
150w card VS 285w. One is going to have a stronger effect on chassis ambient temps than the other.
The chassis aren't listed either, but I'd imagine the temperature of the air right in front of KTMx's cpu cooler to be warmer by default - under loads, at least.

I'm having NZXT H710i case with stock fans (3x 120mm intake and 1x 140mm out)
And yeah the gpu temps at idle is between 45-50c. I set Adaptive power management.