clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, I recently did a new build and its the first I've done in approx 10 years.
specs are as follows:
Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
msi x470 gaming plus mobo
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB - extra fan added to heat sync
Fractal Design Meshify ATX High Air Flow Case
Rtx 2070 Super GPU
I have 2 intake fans in the front, 2 exhaust mounted on top and one exhaust on the back.

My concern is while gaming my CPU temps are hitting 85-90c
is this normal temps for the Ryzen 9 3900x? I can't seem to find a straight answer. 90c seems pretty high and somewhat concerning for me, but again, this is my first build in 10+ years and I've been out of "the game" for a while.

Solution
I wouldn't recommend a Hyper 212 for a 3900x. That's your issue. I'd swap to something like a dark rock pro 4.

90C should be your max temperature under system load, but if you are getting that while gaming that's not great.

However there still might be hope, try re-installing the CPU cooler. Make sure you are using enough thermal paste (i recommend the X pattern) as you should be using more paste than Intel CPUs for example.

Worst case scenario and you can't get temps down and you can't get a better cooler, drop your TDP in BIOS from 105W to 65W. This will dramatically lower core clocks.

If you need a reference, I run a hyper 212 EVO Black Edition (basically identical to your unit) on a Ryzen 5 3600, on MAX load i get anywhere...

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I also recently did my 1st build in 10 years with a 3900X/2060 RTX/Noctua U12S cooler and the highest I've ever seen it get on any games is low 60s, Prime 95 76C after hours, Idles 30-45ish. Your temps are on the high side. I'd make sure your BIOS are updated, as well as chipset. My chip actually gets the best performance/temps with a 0.1v negative voltage offset, and PBO and other overclocking stuff is off. Otherwise, I'd try resetting the cooler or buying a better one

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
I wouldn't recommend a Hyper 212 for a 3900x. That's your issue. I'd swap to something like a dark rock pro 4.

90C should be your max temperature under system load, but if you are getting that while gaming that's not great.

However there still might be hope, try re-installing the CPU cooler. Make sure you are using enough thermal paste (i recommend the X pattern) as you should be using more paste than Intel CPUs for example.

Worst case scenario and you can't get temps down and you can't get a better cooler, drop your TDP in BIOS from 105W to 65W. This will dramatically lower core clocks.

If you need a reference, I run a hyper 212 EVO Black Edition (basically identical to your unit) on a Ryzen 5 3600, on MAX load i get anywhere between 70-75C and sometimes 80C if my GPU is working hard.

And that's just a 65W TDP part, not to mention your 105W monster :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
Solution

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks all for the feed back. I do have a Wraith Prism stock cooler that came with the ryzen 9 3900x that i think im going to put in tonight and see if thats any better for now till i get a new cooler.
any feed back on the Wraith Prism that comes stock with the CPU?

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014

If you need a reference, I run a hyper 212 EVO Black Edition (basically identical to your unit) on a Ryzen 5 3600, on MAX load i get anywhere between 70-75C and sometimes 80C if my GPU is working hard.

And that's just a 65W TDP part, not to mention your 105W monster :)

Decided to go with the dark rock pro 4. Was stuck between that and the noctua d15se. Not a fan of the color option for the noctua as I have glass case and it would just look ugly as hell I think. Dark rock looks great and has awesome reviews. Should have it sept 9th. Thank you so much for your time and response.

Decided to go with the dark rock pro 4. Was stuck between that and the noctua d15se. Not a fan of the color option for the noctua as I have glass case and it would just look ugly as hell I think. Dark rock looks great and has awesome reviews. Should have it sept 9th. Thank you so much for your time and response.

I have a 3900X with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and it's perfectly fine. I have a very non aggressive fan curve under 65C. Temperatures would be cooler without that non aggressive fan curve but the system is dead quiet.

Easy to install. The only thing to watch is when you put the cooler on the CPU and you have to kinda eyes it a bit. The contact plate is big and you can put it on one side more than the other. You have to middle it. They even give you cool long screwdriver because you need it to install the cooler.

What RAM do you have? Did you check for RAM clearance?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be careful with Dragon Center on those MSI mobo's, it will artificially boost the cpu to all core PBO levels and then some, and with large core cpus like the 3900x, that's a ton of heat that's totally unnecessary or warranted. For a 3100/3300x it's a good boost in performance but for your cpu, it's a disaster unless you have serious overboard cooling.

Reactions: Nemesia

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
I have a 3900X with a Dark Rock Pro 4 and it's perfectly fine. I have a very non aggressive fan curve under 65C. Temperatures would be cooler without that non aggressive fan curve but the system is dead quiet.

Easy to install. The only thing to watch is when you put the cooler on the CPU and you have to kinda eyes it a bit. The contact plate is big and you can put it on one side more than the other. You have to middle it. They even give you cool long screwdriver because you need it to install the cooler.

What RAM do you have? Did you check for RAM clearance?

I have gskill ripjaw ram v series. I should be fine. I read reviews and other builds with same ram type

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
I have gskill ripjaw ram v series. I should be fine. I read reviews and other builds with same ram type
Now you got me worried again lol. Ram height for gskill v series is 42mm. The tridents are 44mm and theres some pics of builds with trident so I should be fine. With my x470 gaming plus and g skill v series

Now you got me worried again lol. Ram height for gskill v series is 42mm. The tridents are 44mm and theres some pics of builds with trident so I should be fine. With my x470 gaming plus and g skill v series

You're ok if yours is 42mm ;p The heatsink goes over the first ram slot here with like a 2mm clearance. The fan goes over all 4 slots but with a much higher height than the heatsink. You can even raise the fan if you want a bit so yeah you're ok. It was just about the first RAM slot clearance for the heatsink and I think you will be fine and you will be happy about that cooler.

What did you have before that 3900X that you kept for 10 years? I switched from an i7 4770K. Night and Day difference lol.

Last edited:

clayton2k9

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
You're ok if yours is 42mm ;p The heatsink goes over the first ram slot here with like a 2mm clearance. The fan goes over all 4 slots but with a much higher height than the heatsink. You can even raise the fan if you want a bit so yeah you're ok. It was just about the first RAM slot clearance for the heatsink and I think you will be fine and you will be happy about that cooler.

What did you have before that 3900X that you kept for 10 years? I switched from an i7 4770K. Night and Day difference lol.

I actually had an i7 4770k as well but wasn't my build. Bought computer assembled and stuck couple new parts in. This was first build from scratch in long time.

Going from i7 4770k to ryzen 9 3900x and gpu r9 290x to a rtx 2070 super.

Yeh little bit of a upgrade lol

theofilos888

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey Clayton
I also build a partial new PC as I kept my old graphics card for now and my Case which I think is amazing for the airflow. My build is:
Thermaltake V71(Older version with the holes on top and front)Full Tower Case
Thermaltake RGB 850W (80Gold)
Asus Rog Strix X570 Gaming
GSkill RGB (2X32) 64 MB 3600 MHz
M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 T
2 X 500 SSD 850EVO
2 x 4T Seagate Baracuda for storage and backups
Corsair H110i 280mm AIO liquid cooler
Gigabyte 1050 ti 4GB OC graphics card
DVD-R iHAS124
So I bought these items with a bit of skepticism and I had a really hard time to get to start Windows installation but after going through the BIOS for a bit I figured out a lot. This Processor is very good and also depending on your luck you may get a good chip. As the rest of the guys say, I would recommend an AIO liquid cooler because the High Temperatures are not really good for the silicone on any chip. You have to make sure in your motherboard the Voltages don't go over 1.325V. Some say it could be more, but AMD has not really released any info on that officially. My without any boost or overclock was idling at 25-35C. And when loaded it reached 59C even with bench tests. So it is very important that you check your voltages because the motherboard companies are defaulting the 3900X Voltage over 1.4 V(mine was 1.448). That would rise the temperatures dramatically.
But until now I was using my FX8350 running at 5.1GHz when gaming and 4.7GHz for 24/7 at 1.425V and temps below 50C.
So I had to OC this new CPU too or at least test it's capabilities. Right now at 1.320 I am all core overclocked at 4.4GHz and my RAM at 3600 MHz and my highest Temps are 77-79C when rendering or doing heavy stuff. But while doing normal things I am getting no more than 52C. I don't know if I am lucky with the silicone lottery but it seems to work well. I believe you should get your PC to Run all Cores at 4.2GHz without a problem but I would do it from the BIOS and do not use Ryzen Master...Make sure if you use Wraith or any other cooler, to put some good Thermal Paste and I would recommend ICDiamond...I bought this some years ago and my temperatures dropped significantly and it lasts for some years. Not that the other are bad, but I could never get them low as this one does.
So:
  1. Check your Cooler - Thermal Paste (what ever cooler you use)
  2. Check and Lower your Voltages to be below 1.325V on CPU
  3. Also Check your RAM voltages because as I said, Motherboard manufacturers haven't don't a great job with BIOS
  4. Make sure your fans above are pulling out.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate. I would be glad to help you as much as possible. And really don't use Ryzen Master...it really sucks!

KTMx

Commendable
Sep 11, 2020

Hi @clayton2k9 ,

Did u install DR pro 4? How are the temps now?
I'm also planning to get a cooler for my 3900x. My Idle temps are between 58-68c and while gaming its more than 85c.

dimtodim

Reputable
Noctua 15 have also black color cooler cromax ❤ btw i have drp4 bicouse its short and ram clearance

KTMx

Commendable
Sep 11, 2020
I have drp4 on same cpu idle without air condion in room is from 38 to 45 jumping..

38-45 for real ?? which power plan are you using? I have been using Ryzen Balanced Plan. If i switch to Power saver the temps drops to 44-50c. Ambient Temp is between 25-30c here in India without Air Conditioning.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@dimtodim @KTMx
You folks also have a significant difference in gpu - assuming both signatures are still accurate.
150w card VS 285w. One is going to have a stronger effect on chassis ambient temps than the other.
The chassis aren't listed either, but I'd imagine the temperature of the air right in front of KTMx's cpu cooler to be warmer by default - under loads, at least.

dimtodim

Reputable
@dimtodim @KTMx
You folks also have a significant difference in gpu - assuming both signatures are still accurate.
150w card VS 285w. One is going to have a stronger effect on chassis ambient temps than the other.
The chassis aren't listed either, but I'd imagine the temperature of the air right in front of KTMx's cpu cooler to be warmer by default - under loads, at least.
yes i dont play games and go for 1660...i have close pc case with 5 fan...when i open side i can get -2 -3 better temp...but i smoke a lot :) keep it close :)

Reactions: Phaaze88