[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x Idle Temperature spike 33-45 °C~

Dec 27, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I just finished building my new rig and everything seems okay besides the CPU temp ( I do have to adjust memory speeds but I was more concerned of how hot things were getting since I have a custom loop running) . I am not sure if this is normal, I have been reading about a lot of problems with temperatures on this chip.

My temperature cycle starts at 45°C and trickles its way down to 33°C (maybe a degree higher or lower each cycle) . After it goes down the lowest temperature its spikes right back up to 44°C and repeats the cycle.

I am running a custom water cooling loop and I have a Corsair xc7 on top the CPU. My GPU is in the same loop and its at a stable 45°C .

Motherboard MSI x570 ACE
G.skill Royal DDR4 4x8gb 3200 mhz
MSI RTX 2080 seahawk ek x
Watercooling: 2x Corsair 360 radiators, XD5 Pump/res, XC7 CPU waterblock, PETG tubing, EK cyberfuel coolant, primochill revolver sx fittings, Bitspower flow meter.
Cooling is controlled through corsair's icue software.

So far I am guessing its either poor thermal paste applied, air bubbles in the water block that haven't left yet, or settings that need to be adjust in the bios for the cpu and ram. Any reason why the temperatures spike 10 degrees on idle with a new build, fresh new windows installed with just 2 or 3 programs installed? (corsair ICUE, MSI afterburner, and MSI's Dragon center)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
D
Temps fluctuate on most CPUs? Lost on what your issue is here temps seem normal for that chip even with a custom loop.

If your load temps are under 65c your doing just fine.
D

Deleted member 362816

Temps fluctuate on most CPUs? Lost on what your issue is here temps seem normal for that chip even with a custom loop.

Solution

Roman Ohmann

Distinguished
May 5, 2013
Same on my custom watercooled system.

Idle temps between 33 and 45 degrees on stock clock speed.

Watertemp and GPU temps are well below that.

I would expect that to be normal.

Dec 27, 2019

Yea I have seen temperatures fluctuate on other CPUs but not like this. From what everyone is saying it seems like this is normal. I am sure there is a reason for the spiking and dropping of temperature, might be related default settings on the x570 motherboards. But if you guys say its normal I will keep it at that.

Uh....so?

Im sorry but what are you on load temperatures? boot up some game and register please.

Will do stress tests tonight, right now tweakin the bios settings. (Ram, cpu volts, frequency etc) This is a new CPU for me I haven't upgraded in 7 years so I missed out on a lot of the new stuff. I will post results tonight.

Roman Ohmann

Distinguished
May 5, 2013
Mine are fluctuating like this as well. Sometimes up to 10 degrees from one reading to the next.

Since I kept my GFX card from my last system with the same watercooling setup, I can say, that the watertemps and the temps of the card are the same as with the old CPU (i7 4790K)

It had me worried as well from the start but I can now say that this seems normal.

The CPU gets hotter than the i7 for sure.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I just built a 3900X system and have observed the same behavior. The temperature bounces around a lot especially at idle or near-idle. I did not see this behavior on the i7-3820 or i7-4930k on my old build.

I observed the 3900X frequently bouncing between 37 and 55 C on the Wraith Prism which caused the fan to rev frequently. Gaming temps were bouncing between 80 and 87 C! I replaced the Wraith with an NH-12S and observe the temperature bouncing between 33 and 50 C on the low end and steady at 71 C on the high end now.

The 3900X seems to bounce around a lot on the low end. You should see the temps stabilize when they reach a higher number during a benchmark or stress test.