[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x or i9-9900KS

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm thinking to upgrade my gaming system and I'm a bit stuck (much like Sheldon between consoles) on which side to pick.

I'm down to two options atm:
i9-9900KS and Ryzen 9 3900X.

I have an RTX 2080Ti and 1000W PSU (can't keep much else from my setup) and I will be playing on a tripple 1080p monitor setup

They are similarly priced (~£30 difference) and both are very good.

Intel pros / cons:
  • Better single core performance
  • Slightly better fps (~10-15 fps extra from the comparisons I've seen)
  • 5GHz turbo boost
  • 14++++++++++++++ nm
  • PCIe 3.0
  • fewer cores

AMD pros / cons:
  • Better multi-core performance
  • PCIe 4.0 support
  • 16/32 cores/threads
  • 10nm
- lower fps

As I will be using the system primarily for gaming, I am leaning towards the blue side, but I would also like to have the extra cores there and newer technology, just in case I need it.

Any input is welcome, as I am stuck at the moment. Thank you

Solution
You are at the very high end and if this is a gaming build then the 9900KS cannot be beaten with its all core 5GHz....and it will be more than good enough at streaming tasks but make sure you get a good AIO cooler...360mm
If you are building a computer and the main task is gaming, then go with Intel i9-9900KS.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X excels with apps that take advantage of more than 8 cores.
There aren't that many consumer apps that take advantage of the extra cores and gaming clearly does not.

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
If you are building a computer and the main task is gaming, then go with Intel i9-9900KS.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X excels with apps that take advantage of more than 8 cores.
There aren't that many consumer apps that take advantage of the extra cores and gaming clearly does not.
I know the extra cores won't help with gaming. I was thinking they might be good to have just in case. (Plex server or other stuff in the future).
One other thing with the ryzen, I noticed it runss cooler than the i9. I'll need to think what cooler to stick on it as well.

Ryzen use less wattage, thus runs cooler.
If you will be gaming and running other apps at the same time then go with Ryzen 9 3900x.

Depending on the Plex server scenario and usage there could be different requirements.
How many apps will be playing at the same time, remote access, will it support more than one simultaneous transcode, at which resolution (720, 1080 or 4k), etc...

Plex server uses PassMark as guideline and both CPU score very well, of course Ryzen 9 3900x score around 10k above.

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
Generally, I will only do one thing at a time. Either gaming, or streaming a movie to my TV. I've experimented with plex in the past, and my 4790K handles 1080p streams very well, bit breaks down when transcoding a 4K file. (No more than 1 stream at a time)

My main priority is gaming anyway, as I have 144Hz monitors, the priority is high fps. I imagine the 9900KS should be able to transcode a 4K file, but even if it doesn't, I can live with it.

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
You are at the very high end and if this is a gaming build then the 9900KS cannot be beaten with its all core 5GHz....and it will be more than good enough at streaming tasks but make sure you get a good AIO cooler...360mm
I don't have enough space for a 360. The best I can do is 280. I was thinking of a kraken or one of new corsairs AIO.

TRENDING THREADS