[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x or Intel i9 9900k Which to choose? Open to opinons!

Derangerous

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Hello All! I saw that the new release of AMD Ryzen 9 3900x came out. I heard really great things about it but it wins in some places where the 9900k wins in others
Now both are really great CPUS to have and I am not a 'fan boy' over one or the other. So I am just looking for the best for what I do and will help continue on into the feature of upgrades over all.

Currently I am running
X99 motherboard
i7 5820k
SLI 1080TI
win 10
32gb ram

Now a little more about what I use my computer for which obviously mainly for gaming which is primary but I also multitask a lot.. I do stream often as well, but I watch things in the back and change this and that all around while doing other said tasks...

Now what would be a more beneficial upgrade to go to? Go the route of AMD? Or stick with Intel? I would love to know your thoughts... Also considered getting a 2080Ti but not sure if having the two 1080tis are still better over all.. Any help? Please? :D

A agree with the above.

The single threaded performance between the 9900k and 3900x is very close and the 3900x has more cores and threads.

Because of the extra cores with little tradeoffs, the 3900x is the better pick for streaming and multitasking.

Also the 3900x comes with a stock cooler and will work on cheaper boards than the 9900k.

Also, i dont think buying any new gpus is a great idea as it will cost a ton but performance will be simmilar.

Jun 8, 2019
This video has a really good comparison of both CPUs, with benchmark in both productivity apps and games. The Ryzen 9 3900x is a lot better for apps that benefit from multiple cores, such as Blender or similar, but Intel is quite a bit better for games (9 percent better on average, according to the video).
If the price is not an issue, the i9-9900k will be better if what you do mostly is gaming. Paired with a good cooler, you have a lot of room for overclocking. AMD, though, does not overclock very well. While its performance is good, there's not a big difference between stock and OC as in Intel.

Derangerous

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
This video has a really good comparison of both CPUs, with benchmark in both productivity apps and games. The Ryzen 9 3900x is a lot better for apps that benefit from multiple cores, such as Blender or similar, but Intel is quite a bit better for games (9 percent better on average, according to the video).
If the price is not an issue, the i9-9900k will be better if what you do mostly is gaming. Paired with a good cooler, you have a lot of room for overclocking. AMD, though, does not overclock very well. While its performance is good, there's not a big difference between stock and OC as in Intel.

Ya I do agree on that since the standard boost clock for the i9 can be pushed to almost 5ghz on a good cooler and such and ya Ryzen is very... pain in arse to OC. So I am getting more soo the sense that at the moment the Ryzen seems to be the better choice currently for my setup.

Jun 8, 2019
Ya I do agree on that since the standard boost clock for the i9 can be pushed to almost 5ghz on a good cooler and such and ya Ryzen is very... pain in arse to OC. So I am getting more soo the sense that at the moment the Ryzen seems to be the better choice currently for my setup.
I personally would prefer Ryzen as well. It's a lot cheaper, and better for multithreaded use.

ALL of those comparisons showing the 9900k beating the 3900x in gaming are on lab systems where NOTHING ELSE IS RUNNING except the game. No multitasking. The whole point of this recommendation is due to the fact that they specifically outlined that they'd probably be multitasking, heavily. If you're going to say the 9900k is the better choice then I want to see a comparison where both systems are gaming, recording, streaming and have three or four Chrome tabs open at the same time. I think you'll see a somewhat different result AND you'll ABSOLUTELY see a different result when it comes to comparing the performance of those other applications that are running even if the 9900k still beats it slightly in the actual gaming comparison, which I doubt, unless you're looking strictly at titles that are not well optimized for multithreading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derangerous

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
3900x is amazing. I can't say for intel 9900k as I have never tried it, but as I stream and game this 3900x is just awesome. Managed to really increase the quality of the stream with this cpu through obs settings even coming from a 2700, not something I feel that intel would be able to do tbh. Yeah single thread/purely gaming intel is going to be better, but I stream and game so ryzen was the choice for me as there's no way I would be able to do the same on the 9900k. So glad I decided to go for red team. 12 cores... 8 for games (when they finally utilize them which won't be too long) and 4 for stream encoding :)

or you can go balls deep and pickup the extra 4 cores with the 3950x when it's out. Streaming sexyness

Derangerous

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
ALL of those comparisons showing the 9900k beating the 3900x in gaming are on lab systems where NOTHING ELSE IS RUNNING except the game. No multitasking. The whole point of this recommendation is due to the fact that they specifically outlined that they'd probably be multitasking, heavily. If you're going to say the 9900k is the better choice then I want to see a comparison where both systems are gaming, recording, streaming and have three or four Chrome tabs open at the same time. I think you'll see a somewhat different result AND you'll ABSOLUTELY see a different result when it comes to comparing the performance of those other applications that are running even if the 9900k still beats it slightly in the actual gaming comparison, which I doubt, unless you're looking strictly at titles that are not well optimized for multithreading.
This is exactly my point. I like hard numbers and such, but it doesnt show what real world expectations for both CPU's. Ya know the average users. Sadly most the data I have been getting is just looping back to the Lab test results and not letting the CPUs work in a normal setting.

Derangerous

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
View: https://youtu.be/pA_IGY05SFc

Tests with a reasonable but not extreme gpu. Tests with things running in background. Has a second monitor hooked up.
Ah, this is what I was more looking for! I had a feeling they would be close on most things. but then you got more cores as well! So i mean.. ya Ryzen has some tweaking to fix, but thats understandable!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Every platform has growing pains. It's just the way it is. Two or three months from now nobody will be likely to be talking about what the problems are on Zen2, they'll be looking forward to whatever is on the horizon that will bring new problems, and hopefully at least moderately higher performance, than "those OLD Zen2 processors". LOL.

TRENDING THREADS