Question Ryzen 9 3900X overheating under load and not cooling down ?

Aug 2, 2022
Hiya!

I bought a prebuilt PC almost exactly one year ago. In the last few days I noticed my CPU reaching very high temps (even exceeding the 95 degree threshold) while gaming and barely falling below that after ending all CPU-intensive processes.

My rig contains as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 12x 3.80 GHz
  • NZXT Kraken M22
  • MSI X570-A Pro, S. AM4 v2
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
All of that in a Fractal Design Meshify C case.

What could be possible reasons for that? Are the components/case not adequate enough? I'm assuming that if that's the case I'd have noticed that in the past year already, but then again I don't know too much about PC builds, which is why I bought it prebuilt.

Possible options I've found so far are changing cooling liquid, reapplying thermal paste - but I'd like to hear your all's opinions first before I have to figure out how to do that.

Appreciating any help, thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lyianda

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hiya!

I bought a prebuilt PC almost exactly one year ago. In the last few days I noticed my CPU reaching very high temps (even exceeding the 95 degree threshold) while gaming and barely falling below that after ending all CPU-intensive processes.

• NZXT Kraken M22

What could be possible reasons for that? Are the components/case not adequate enough? I'm assuming that if that's the case I'd have noticed that in the past year already, but then again I don't know too much about PC builds, which is why I bought it prebuilt.

Possible options I've found so far are changing cooling liquid, reapplying thermal paste - but I'd like to hear your all's opinions first before I have to figure out how to do that.

Cheers,
Lyianda
I would say the cooler is failing a 120 AIO is not really enough for that processor anyhow.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It shares the same OEM with the Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids: Apaltek/Apalcool.
This company has a track record of coolers failing earlier than they should due to contaminated coolant; the cooler is clogged at this point.
Get it replaced.

Hiya!

• NZXT Kraken M22

Cheers,
Lyianda
The Meshify C is perfectly fine for that class of system. The fact the temperature doesn't decline afterwards sounds to me like the pump is failing. I would check the pump RPM to see if it's running at normal speed. If the hoses connecting the pump to the radiator are very different in temperature that would also suggest a problem.

A 3900X would also benefit from a 240mm AIO rather than 120mm.

Aug 2, 2022
Thanks for your swift responses!

The Meshify C is perfectly fine for that class of system. The fact the temperature doesn't decline afterwards sounds to me like the pump is failing. I would check the pump RPM to see if it's running at normal speed. If the hoses connecting the pump to the radiator are very different in temperature that would also suggest a problem.

A 3900X would also benefit from a 240mm AIO rather than 120mm.
My pump RPM is at 5000-5100, which is a fair bit higher than the stated "3000 +/- 350". I'd interpret that as the pump is working harder than it should trying to create circulation.

It shares the same OEM with the Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids: Apaltek/Apalcool.
This company has a track record of coolers failing earlier than they should due to contaminated coolant; the cooler is clogged at this point.
Get it replaced.

So, in essence, replace the cooler. Which coolers would you recommend for that system? I should technically be able to fit a 240mm AIO as well, according to the case manual.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

My pump RPM is at 5000-5100, which is a fair bit higher than the stated "3000 +/- 350". I'd interpret that as the pump is working harder than it should trying to create circulation.
That seems very odd, what software are you using to read the pump speed is it NZXT Cam? Do you have more than one monitoring program running by any chance?
The good news is that your pump seems to be running and doing so at a constant speed. May I ask how your AIO is mounted in the case?

Which coolers would you recommend for that system? I should technically be able to fit a 240mm AIO as well, according to the case manual.
I have the Fractal Design Meshify C case as well. I have a 240mm AIO mounted in the top which is the maximum you can put there. You can also mount a 360mm in the front but that may or may not obstruct your GPU depending on length. It would lead to better CPU temperatures but higher GPU ones so I would go with a top mounted cooler if you needed to replace your current one.

You have to be a little careful with radiator and fan height as it's a bit of a tight squeeze in the top. It's RAM clearance particularly that you have to worry about, do you know what RAM you have?

I personally use the Asus ROG Strix LC240 in my system, however other good 240mm's that you should be able to fit are:

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240
Corsair Hydro H100
Fractal Design Celsius S24

Reactions: alexbirdie
Aug 2, 2022
That seems very odd, what software are you using to read the pump speed is it NZXT Cam? Do you have more than one monitoring program running by any chance?
The good news is that your pump seems to be running and doing so at a constant speed. May I ask how your AIO is mounted in the case?

I have the Fractal Design Meshify C case as well. I have a 240mm AIO mounted in the top which is the maximum you can put there. You can also mount a 360mm in the front but that may or may not obstruct your GPU depending on length. It would lead to better CPU temperatures but higher GPU ones so I would go with a top mounted cooler if you needed to replace your current one.

You have to be a little careful with radiator and fan height as it's a bit of a tight squeeze in the top. It's RAM clearance particularly that you have to worry about, do you know what RAM you have?

I personally use the Asus ROG Strix LC240 in my system, however other good 240mm's that you should be able to fit are:

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240
Corsair Hydro H100
Fractal Design Celsius S24

I'm reading it out with HWMonitor, NZXT Cam doesn't recognize my pump for some reason. It's mounted at the back of the case, right next to the processor.

Looking at my PC and how the MB/RAM is mounted, it really seems a tight squeeze with a 240mm mounted up top - It's about 45mm of clearance to the RAM, but I also have this plastic part on my MB left to the RAM that is a lot higher up - not sure if that is removable? [EDIT: It appears to be enough clearance in depth to fit it. My RAM are two Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL, which are rather big, I think.

360mm in the front would mean that I have to move where my HDD is mounted, but I guess that would be an option too.

Last edited:
I'm reading it out with HWMonitor, NZXT Cam doesn't recognize my pump for some reason. It's mounted at the back of the case, right next to the processor.

Looking at my PC and how the MB/RAM is mounted, it really seems a tight squeeze with a 240mm mounted up top - It's about 45mm of clearance to the RAM, but I also have this plastic part on my MB left to the RAM that is a lot higher up - not sure if that is removable? [EDIT: It appears to be enough clearance in depth to fit it. My RAM are two Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL, which are rather big, I think.

360mm in the front would mean that I have to move where my HDD is mounted, but I guess that would be an option too.
It's helpful to have the latest version of things like HWMonitor as sometimes older ones can give inaccurate readings. It will definitely be a tight squeeze, I have Corsair Vengeance LPX which are low profile so that fit's fairly easily. The max component height listed by Fractal is 40mm where your sticks are 44mm. However the ends are tapered so it might still fit, it does appear that some people have managed to fit it without issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/o3tr9a/my_first_build_meshify_c_case_kraken_x63_and_4/

Another option would be to put the 240mm in the front if it didn't fit up top, you shouldn't have to move the HDD's then.

Aug 2, 2022
It's helpful to have the latest version of things like HWMonitor as sometimes older ones can give inaccurate readings. It will definitely be a tight squeeze, I have Corsair Vengeance LPX which are low profile so that fit's fairly easily. The max component height listed by Fractal is 40mm where your sticks are 44mm. However the ends are tapered so it might still fit, it does appear that some people have managed to fit it without issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/o3tr9a/my_first_build_meshify_c_case_kraken_x63_and_4/

Another option would be to put the 240mm in the front if it didn't fit up top, you shouldn't have to move the HDD's then.

I downloaded HWMonitor just to find out what was going on with my cooling system, so it is the latest version. Putting the cooler in the front won't be possible because of the length of my GPU, so I believe I'll go with the ROG Strix LC240.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I downloaded HWMonitor just to find out what was going on with my cooling system, so it is the latest version. Putting the cooler in the front won't be possible because of the length of my GPU, so I believe I'll go with the ROG Strix LC240.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
The top is preferable anyway IMO because you get more airflow to the GPU. I chose the ROG Strix LC240 because I liked the look of it and preferred the mounting system :/

In the UK at least it's not the cheapest AIO. The Corsair H100x and Corsair H100i have the same radiator and fan thickness and the same tube length as the Asus so those should fit just as well. The H100x is also quite a bit cheaper than the LC240.

The Fractal and Artic have slightly thicker radiators so you might want to avoid those.

Someone on Overclockers has an AMD build with Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM in the Meshify C:

As expected it's a tight squeeze but he seems to have managed it with a 240mm Corsair AIO. The Vengeance Pro is basically an older slightly taller version of your RAM.

Your welcome :)

Reactions: alexbirdie