Question Ryzen 9 3900x overheating

Jul 11, 2022
Hello Everyone,
I have maybe stupid question but i still need to ask it. Please tell what kind of damage can be done if CPU is constantly running on high temperatures?
I did some reasearch and there are a lot of opinions, usually peaple was saying that damage shoudnt be done as system would automaticly shut down if dangerous temps reached.

I ask this question because from around one year my AMD Ryzen 9 3900x was running on range of 80-110 deegres Celsius under load. The CPU itself seems to be fine and i don't really experience any serious issues. But now it got me wonder, why didn't my PC shut down when 95 deegres excided? As far as im aware max temp is 95 deegers and sometimes my temps was going way over that.

Please let me know what are possible consequences of running CPU on too high temps for that long? Is it possible that some damage have been already done (for example pernament preformance drop/decrease or any other kind of defects)? is there a way to test CPU condition so i can know nothing got damaged?

Sorry if this was covered in any other threat on this forum but i coudn't find answer to my question.
Like i mentioned before, i looked on several websites and usually people was saying either nothing can happen as CPU is protected or it would die completly.

Thanks in Advance
Kamil

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I have maybe stupid question but i still need to ask it. Please tell what kind of damage can be done if CPU is constantly running on high temperatures?
I did some reasearch and there are a lot of opinions, usually peaple was saying that damage shoudnt be done as system would automaticly shut down if dangerous temps reached.

I ask this question because from around one year my AMD Ryzen 9 3900x was running on range of 80-110 deegres Celsius under load. The CPU itself seems to be fine and i don't really experience any serious issues. But now it got me wonder, why didn't my PC shut down when 95 deegres excided? As far as im aware max temp is 95 deegers and sometimes my temps was going way over that.

Please let me know what are possible consequences of running CPU on too high temps for that long? Is it possible that some damage have been already done (for example pernament preformance drop/decrease or any other kind of defects)? is there a way to test CPU condition so i can know nothing got damaged?

Sorry if this was covered in any other threat on this forum but i coudn't find answer to my question.
Like i mentioned before, i looked on several websites and usually people was saying either nothing can happen as CPU is protected or it would die completly.

Thanks in Advance
Kamil
Simply put, heat is an enemy of electronics, Yes it's true that there are safety measures in CPUs but those are just for excess heat but that doesn't help with gradual deterioration.
With your CPU over 70c would already start to throttle down by 100MHz for every 2-3c over.

TRENDING THREADS