Question Ryzen 9 3900x running at 60-70 C idle temp with stock cooler. is it normal? or should i change my cooler :( plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdpksnwew

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
My ryzen 9 3900x is running at 60+ degrees C when just browsing the internet and it runs at 70-79 when i play games, is it normal? i am using my stock fan from amd. sorry, i never had a pc for a long time :( we just got the pc around 1st week of january. if there is a problem with my cooler are there any air coolers that can do a better job than the amd fan?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
My ryzen 9 3900x is running at 60+ degrees C when just browsing the internet and it runs at 70-79 when i play games, is it normal? i am using my stock fan from amd. sorry, i never had a pc for a long time :( we just got the pc around 1st week of january. if there is a problem with my cooler are there any air coolers that can do a better job than the amd fan?
Idle temperature 60+ degrees C? Yes there is definitely something wrong, if you are not working in a desert where ambient temperature is nearly 50 C. alext92 advice is probably right. Check the contact of your CPU with your cooler.

mdpksnwew

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
I would try re-seating the CPU with new thermal paste.
There are good tutorials on youtube if you are not sure how to do this.

Andy

I am using that cpu chasis.

mdpksnwew

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Idle temperature 60+ degrees C? Yes there is definitely something wrong, if you are not working in a desert where ambient temperature is nearly 50 C. alext92 advice is probably right. Check the contact of your CPU with your cooler.

I live on a Tropical country, and i dont have air conditioning in my room. I already set the fan speed to 100% at 70 C. and it still averages 50-65C when idling and 69-75C when gaming with 86C max spike temp. it will take time for me to check my cpu contact with cooler since i am away from home :(

mdpksnwew

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Enough thermalpaste?

Why would someone buy such a highe end cpu and use stock cooler, that's so fail
i am figuring out if the amd stock fan can do the job or if i should change my cooler to a better one. are there cases of tower coolers being too heavy and eventually damage the cpu? we are planning to get a DH-15

mdpksnwew

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018

I am using that cpu chasis.

Does it need at least one intake fan? because there is an open part at the bottom with some kind of filter. We let the store build the computer because we don't know much about it. I think we have 3 exhausts as far as i can tell

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Does it need at least one intake fan? because there is an open part at the bottom with some kind of filter. We let the store build the computer because we don't know much about it. I think we have 3 exhausts as far as i can tell
3 exhaust fans? No at least one of the fans should inhale the air. In general the fans at the front should inhale the air, at the back should exhaust. You are creating a vacuum inside the case. And it might be reason of the problem. I know because I fried a HD because of fans' directions.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
i am figuring out if the amd stock fan can do the job or if i should change my cooler to a better one. are there cases of tower coolers being too heavy and eventually damage the cpu? we are planning to get a DH-15

Never heard a cooler damaging a CPU. And these coolers might seem heavy but they are not that heavy but just look bigger than stock coolers.

wcndave

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

I think that's very sensible, and exactly what I did ;-) (same CPU)

Here are my findings.

CPU with stock cooker was running at 55 deg.
Fan was running at 1,500 RPM

I then ran Prime95 using smallest FFT (high power/heat/cpu), not the max test one can do.
This puts all 24 threads at 100% which is fine for me.

Temp was 76 with stock fan running at 1,600 RPM - can hardly hear it.

I would say that is all completely fine for normal use - from gaming to video editing, etc.

However, I felt the idle temps could be lower, and might be a bit better at lower. So I updated all the BIOS and chipset drivers.
(Running ROG Strix X570-F), which actually solved a few error messages in device manager. It also installed a Ryzen power profile, which changed the CPU to run at 99% all the time... So I turned that off again. (back to balanced)

I then ran Prime95, and this time the CPU ran a bit hotter (78), and the fan faster - in fact up to 2,750 PM, and definitely louder.
It's like the updates had allowed the CPU to go faster, and the Fan to go faster, but all my clock speeds were the same...

I have a water cooler for my old chip, which was doing extreme overclocking, however I don't have the AMD fittings for it anymore, and I found water cooling to be louder, plus I don't want to overclock this. So I got a beQuiet Pro 4 air tower.

This brought idle temps to 40, and under P95 - temp 60, fan 900 RPM, silent.

So, in Summary - in my opinion

Stock cooler is fine for any normal user. I spend 99% of my time using a whole bunch of standard apps, and then once a month have to render 4k video which stretches the CPU. So normal use is CPU between 10 and 20%. I don't know every many gamers who would push this CPU beyond that - they'd be more interested in GPU.

If you want to get max lifetime out of a CPU, you may want to reduce idle temp from mid 50-60 down to 40.
If you're running a lot of CPU intensive processes, and you want it to be quieter, or cooler, you may also want to do better than stock cooler.

I still think the stock cooler is pretty good - fine for most things.

Another reason I think it's ok, is that I am not overclocking. It seems like my old 3.4GHz i5-3570K could be overclocked to 4.3GHz without breaking a sweat - with the right cooling. There was a lot of competition over who could get the most out of chips, however I got 4.3 with a standard overclock EZ utility. That's 26% boost.

However it looks like the modern chips, (perhaps AMD more so), are so tightly made, that there's not much to overclock. I heard about people getting a few 100Mhz more. All requiring voltages, and cooling, and other stuff to be done. Today, IMO, not worth it for a tiny boost. Single thread apps can quickly boost to 4.5GHz on the 3900x, so that's all fine. Without doing overclocking, stock coolers are more likely to be a viable option.

Do You Need It (mdpksnwew)?

Before you decide if you need it, there's a few factors talked about above.
For a start, make sure you have the proper intake and exhaust fan setup. I have one pulling air through power supply, one big fan into the case on top and one big fan exhausting at the back. (plus one for HDD, however it's a separate chamber).
No point having your CPU cooler take the hot air and disperse it all around the interior of the case, if it can't get out (or new air can't get in).

Once you've done that, and you've got some real readings on temp, say using HWinfo64, then you can decide if you need another cooler - based on real life use.

You also talked about the weight. The coolers are generally fixed to the MB, they are not hanging off the CPU.
My MB has a back plate to hold it together, and the MB is high quality.

I am sure you could find cases of the extreme heaviest cooler being mounted on the crappiest MB ever, and causing issues.
However it's not a concern normally.

Hope that helps!

Jul 30, 2020
To give you and idea, my 3900x runs at about 40 C with AIO cooler and my new 3900xt with Noctua nh-d15 is sitting at 29 C idle. I'm blown away on how cool it is. Maybe I just got lucky.

I would remount your cooler, it shouldn't be that hot.

idle is when you open the monitoring program on the desktop (only 1 monitoring tool at the same time, if you open more than one it will mess out the readings), leave the mosue and keyboard alone, and take a step back from the PC. Thats your idle status, not while browsing the web, thats a light load.
Ryzen react diferent than Intel cpus at light loads, Ryzen works more like nvida GPUs.

Keep in mind there are some motherboard software that also monitor temps, voltage and frecuency, this ones also need to be disable/closed or turned OFF.

Also if using the stock inluded cooler, while gaming youre getting 79°C, depending on the game that seems pretty alright to me.

Of course you can get a bigger air cooler, or even a liquid AIO solution, but if you are 100% that while gaming the MAX temps are 79°C that for me is pretty good for the stock cooler.

I woudl really check back the idle temps, which depending on your case fan setup and how hot the weather is where you live will vary, but should be lower than 60° C for sure.

For monitoring tools I only like two of them Ryzne Master and hwinfo64. I like hwinfo 64 cause it shows more data, there is a portable version (no need to install anything) and also keeps the track of the MAX values of all the sensors (including temperature) so no need ot bechecking the data all the time, just use the PC and every now and then go see how far the MAX value got recorded (for hwinfo the sensor is called: CPU (Tctl/Tdie), under the CPU title that should be something similar to: CPU [#0]: AMD Ryzen 5 3600: Enhanced)

Status
Not open for further replies.