Question Ryzen 9 3900x Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2019
Hi :)
I built my PC a couple of days before. I checked CPU temperature with 'Core Temp 1.15.1'. The temperature is jumps between 40-50 celsius. When I stress CPU with 'CPU-Z' it goes around 82 degrees.
here It's winter now and the outside temp is 30 degree celsius. It will go to 45-50 on summer. I am worrying that the high temperature on summer will burn my PC. Are the temp here normal and safe? Or is there anything I can do?
Note: In Task Manager Performance the speed is always 4.00+ GHz, even while I am not running Photoshop.
Every help is appreciated

My Built is -
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite motherboard
Ryzen 9 3900x
Corsair H150i cooler
Nvidia RTX 2080 super
32 GB Ram 3200MHz
500 GB SSD
4 TB HDD
Corsair 220T case (Air intake front with Radiator, and rear and top fans are exhaust)

Lutfij

Titan
Stress testing a CPU or anything, for that matter, means that the device is being taxed beyond what you will do on a 24/7/365 basis. In fact what you should be worried about is what the voltages are in BIOS and if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Might also want to see what your ambient air temps are for your room(not outside) and see if remounting the cooling block changes your experience with temps.

Reactions: MUPLUR
Nov 20, 2019
Stress testing a CPU or anything, for that matter, means that the device is being taxed beyond what you will do on a 24/7/365 basis. In fact what you should be worried about is what the voltages are in BIOS and if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Might also want to see what your ambient air temps are for your room(not outside) and see if remounting the cooling block changes your experience with temps.

Thanks for replying. I am new to PC build and technical stuff ^^'.

The BIOS is what came with motherboard. I didn't update it.
I am using Corsair RMX 1000W PSU
VID - 1.4688 V (It goes down when I do Bench CPU)

I don't know my room temperature. I am not using Air conditioner or Air Cooler. Just one room fan on ceiling.
Is 1.4688V too high?

Nov 20, 2019
TLDR:
I would not be leaving that voltage for prolonged time.
I did not put my hands on 3'rd gen ryzens, but I heard that 1.25-1.35 is the desired range and you should not step into 1.4+ zone. If you dont trust me I leave you with smarter guys than me:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Ssuqhyqah2k&feature=emb_logo
Thank you very much.
I disabled the 'CPU auto boost' in BIOS. It reduced the voltage to 1.1-1.2 and now PC running on 35-40 degree celsius :D
Thank you everyone :)

What are clockspeeds with Auto Boost disabled? That may have disabled boosting all together. I'd strongly advise updating to latest UEFI that should include AGESA 1.0.0.3.ABBA or even newer 1.0.0.4. Install latest Windows 10 updates, and AMD chipset drivers as well. These steps themselves greatly reduced the idle voltages and temps for my 3900X. Also, are you using Ryzen power profile in Windows?

Nov 20, 2019
What are clockspeeds with Auto Boost disabled? That may have disabled boosting all together. I'd strongly advise updating to latest UEFI that should include AGESA 1.0.0.3.ABBA or even newer 1.0.0.4. Install latest Windows 10 updates, and AMD chipset drivers as well. These steps themselves greatly reduced the idle voltages and temps for my 3900X. Also, are you using Ryzen power profile in Windows?
Clock speed is 3.65 average. I am not using Ryzen power profile (haven't heard about it until now). Is it necessary?

It's the optimal profile for Ryzen 3000 series. It should be used by default with this series CPU. It will be created and set to default when installing latest chipset drivers. These drivers along with latest UEFI for your motherboard most likely will eliminate the need to disable CPU auto boost. I'm still guessing this disabled the boost speed of your CPU, thus the lower voltages.

Reactions: Rdslw
Nov 20, 2019
It's the optimal profile for Ryzen 3000 series. It should be used by default with this series CPU. It will be created and set to default when installing latest chipset drivers. These drivers along with latest UEFI for your motherboard most likely will eliminate the need to disable CPU auto boost. I'm still guessing this disabled the boost speed of your CPU, thus the lower voltages.
There is a option called 'AMD Ryzen™ Balanced' in "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options". It may be the option you mentioned. But this alone didn't do anything. I had to disable the 'CPU auto boost' in BIOS. Now everything seems perfect :)

AzJazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
There is a option called 'AMD Ryzen™ Balanced' in "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options". It may be the option you mentioned. But this alone didn't do anything. I had to disable the 'CPU auto boost' in BIOS. Now everything seems perfect :)
MUPLUR - First of all, your big mistake here is using CoreTemp (Odd that someone didn't mention that already!). CoreTemp has a known issue with the Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs (the CoreTemp developer knows about it, but doesn't seem to be motivated to fix it). You have to totally uninstall CoreTemp, and any other hardware monitoring apps. The Ryzen 3xxx processors are very, very sensitive to the periodic "pokes" that many hardware monitors operate with, and it causes the CPU to run much hotter and "jumpy" as a result.

After you have cleaned out your hardware monitors, install HWInfo64. HWinfo64 plays well with the new Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs, and is about a zillion times more capable than CoreTemp. If you like using Windows Desktop Gadgets, HWinfo64 had a very configurable gadget that can show you a lot of good stuff.

Once you have HWInfo64 installed, I have a much better option for you here, that will get you cool, stable CPU temps without you limiting your new CPU's performance. Note: Be sure to reset all the BIOS Advanced CPU Configuration settings back to the defaults ("Auto") to get the best results.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

AzJazz

Nov 20, 2019
MUPLUR - First of all, your big mistake here is using CoreTemp (Odd that someone didn't mention that already!). CoreTemp has a known issue with the Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs (the CoreTemp developer knows about it, but doesn't seem to be motivated to fix it). You have to totally uninstall CoreTemp, and any other hardware monitoring apps. The Ryzen 3xxx processors are very, very sensitive to the periodic "pokes" that many hardware monitors operate with, and it causes the CPU to run much hotter and "jumpy" as a result.

After you have cleaned out your hardware monitors, install HWInfo64. HWinfo64 plays well with the new Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs, and is about a zillion times more capable than CoreTemp. If you like using Windows Desktop Gadgets, HWinfo64 had a very configurable gadget that can show you a lot of good stuff.

Once you have HWInfo64 installed, I have a much better option for you here, that will get you cool, stable CPU temps without you limiting your new CPU's performance. Note: Be sure to reset all the BIOS Advanced CPU Configuration settings back to the defaults ("Auto") to get the best results.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

AzJazz

Thank you, man :)
I did as you said and monitored. But everytime I start the HWInfo64 software, the temp is rising to 68 degree Celsius. then it's goes down to 38 degree average within minutes.
but it is rising to above 60, when I use Photoshop or play games. I found that those software or games are not using my GPU but running only on CPU and RAM. I am so confused now o-O

Fluctuations in those amounts are normal for CPUs, regardless of cooling capabilities. If the sustained temps, whether gaming, photoshop, ect. were up in the 80Cs for extended periods, then I would be investigation further for improvements. 60C in Photoshop or gaming is totally normal. Your temps are similar to my 3900X with H100i PRO RGB cooling in M-ITX chassis.

Nov 20, 2019
Fluctuations in those amounts are normal for CPUs, regardless of cooling capabilities. If the sustained temps, whether gaming, photoshop, ect. were up in the 80Cs for extended periods, then I would be investigation further for improvements. 60C in Photoshop or gaming is totally normal. Your temps are similar to my 3900X with H100i PRO RGB cooling in M-ITX chassis.
Awesome, man. Thank you very much and Thanks everyone :D
PC's maximum is 67 today. So I guess it working good :D

Nov 20, 2019
How does your new pc “feel”? Was it a noticeable upgrade over your last pc?
Feel? hahaha!!
My old PC is intel i3, 4GB RAM. It lags every time when I draw faster in Photoshop and throws Blue screen whenever it feels like it. No chance for games, not even unity games were working.
New PC is a blessing. It runs Photoshop like "Photoshop? That's cute" :D and GPU is sleeping like "Your workload is too low for my capacity. Wake me up when you do real work" XD

Reactions: GarrettL

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens should be run on Balanced Power plan, not eco or performance. The Ryzen Balanced and Microsoft Balanced are essentially the same thing, now, they didn't use to be. In eco mode, voltages aren't responsive enough and limit the power to cpu, so you won't get performance, if you try then stability goes out the window. In performance mode, voltages are set too high and because of the way Ryzens work vrs Intel, they force cores into activity when Ryzen is trying to shut them down. Makes for overly high temps and lack of idle speeds.

Accuracy in temp readings is bogus. All the way around. Even in bios. It has to do with polling times and core usage. Some programs poll every 500ms, some at every 1000ms, some upto every 7000ms. Core temps fluctuate drastically, constantly so a core at 30°C can be 40, then 50, then back to 30 all in the space of 1000ms. The first program at 500ms would read a temp of 40, the second a temp of 50. Both are accurate as far as that goes, but reality is that the core over that 1000ms is averaging 40°C. The 50° reading would leave you to believe the cpu is at 50, its not, never was, it had a very temporary spike to 50. And if that's not changing except every 7 seconds, you'll get seriously funky results.

Ryzen Master polls the cpu and trends the temps, then averages the results of the last 3 polls, so what you'll see is a reading taken over the full second, not a spike grab or non used core temp, but a mixture. This gives a better impression of what's really happening with the core overall. So will often be slightly different to other insta-poll programs, like the motherboard reader or coretemp or HWInfo.

Reactions: MUPLUR
Status
Not open for further replies.