[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900X with H115i Platinum

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
I bought the H115 Platinum since the stock cooler was loud as hell. I am using the Thermaltake Core P3 and my original temps with the PrismCooler were 45-55 idle and hitting 70+ at Cinebench R15.

Now that i got the H115, i installed it and saw it already came with thermal compound applied. I cleaned old one with ArctiClean and installed. I do still have my Artic Silver 5 but i didn't bother since this had some already pre-applied.

https://ibb.co/dJsMnzX

My highest score was 3127 and after installing iCue my score dropped to 3053. My temps on idle are 38-48 and in cinebench easily hitting 77C. This doesn't seem right imo, i uninstalled the iCue to see any difference but no avail. Please correct me if the temps with this cooler shouldn't even hit 70C?

Also i didnt touch the fan profile in the iCue, it was default to "silent" for fans and "balanced" for the pump. Putting them both on extreme prevented CPU going above 72C but then you have a full jet engine sound.

Whats going on here? iCue broke cinebench or is my cpu suffering? Should i remove the cooler and add my own thermal compound?

P.s
I ran the R20 and the score is 7057, pretty much identical to what others are getting, but still temp hit 76C without the iCue since i uninstalled it.

https://ibb.co/9v9vDvz

Last edited:
Solution
If you're going to do that I'd just get another set of the same Maglev fans you already have and put them on the other side of the radiator pulling with the first set pushing.
Honestly, in my opinion, if you want RGB in your build, and I have RGB in my build with some NZXT Hue+ lighting, then get it somewhere other than the fans. Fans are to do one thing, cool your hardware. Fans are not there to make things look "pretty" AND there are NO, NONE, NADA, fans on the market with RGB that have even moderately decent performance compared to models without RGB.

I don't think ANYTHING you do with the fans you are working with, is going to make a damn bit of difference really because they are simply not capable of the task. If you want terrific performance, with low noise levels, then you need all of the fans to be capable. Not some, not on one side, not "yeah but they look good".

And also, putting fans on the other side of that panel, does nothing. Zero. They might as well not even be there as you saw through your results. If the fans are not part of a pressure differential such as a closed case, or are not DIRECTLY attached to the radiator, then they are not going to have any affect on performance that will be measurable.

If you want terrific performance and very low noise levels, put four of these on there and be done with it. To hell with the RGB on the fans. Get your RGB on elsewhere in the build. Get some LED strips or underglow kit. Get an ambient glow kit for behind the case. Anything but on the fans. There just ARE NOT any really good cooling fans that have RGB. Period.

Or if you really want to bump up the performance, a little more, and don't mind making a small sacrifice in overall noise level compared the fans above, then these have about double the static pressure and about twenty percent more CFM than the standard NF-A14's.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-iPPC-2000-PWM-Cooling/dp/B00KFCRMSG

Status
Not open for further replies.