Question ryzen 9 3950 plus rads related questions.

mechnut450

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
ok I recently upgraded to a ryzen 9 3950 cpu and my water cooling loop not keeping it cool like it did my old fx cpu. ( yes I know more cores and such) I currently have a alphacool dual bay res/pump ( d5 pump) and a double rad set up ( both 240 rads) one being 60 mm thick the other a stock 30mm)
I am about to upgrade to a thermaltake 900 tower, and will be transferring everything over to the case. While doing so I may look into upgrading to a pair of dual 360(or even 480) mm radiators about 30mm thick, will this be enough cooling or should I transfer the 2x 240 mm rads over with rest of loop? I also only run the pump about 1/2 speed setting and was wondering if between the cpu block, and radiators if it be strong enough or should I consider a secondary pump/res in the back ( out of sight) to help keeping the fluids flowing like they should? I am not overclocking and the gpus are not in the loop( mainly because I cant find amd 580 blocks) I am running dual 580 8 gig cards. Any suggets or helpful info would easy progress as i have not ordered the radiators yet. ( I can place larger ones on the side back of the case and I can also possible install the 3rd radiator( a 240) on the case back ( with longer hoses to allow for back removal) and then the other 240 in the top of the case. and run it all back into the res to be pumped again. using soft tubing mainly right now ( with a y and a drain valve in the loop either off the rad or out the back of the res ( was thinking of a secondary res for caughting the air and letting that be my fill point with the y valve.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're running the pump at half speed, you shouldn't have any problems with your current loop with a little more speed/flow of liquid in your loop. To add, no you shouldn't have any problems driving dual 360's a CPU block and no GPU's.

I am curious to learn what sort of voltages you're running in your setup for the CPU and what sort of ambient air temps you've got for your room. You didn't even state the temps you're currently seeing with your loop. Make and model of your radiators? Often times, not flushing the rads properly can and will induce clogs in a rad(if you've been using a colored coolant) which will impede performance.

Reactions: RodroX

mechnut450

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
If you're running the pump at half speed, you shouldn't have any problems with your current loop with a little more speed/flow of liquid in your loop. To add, no you shouldn't have any problems driving dual 360's a CPU block and no GPU's.

I am curious to learn what sort of voltages you're running in your setup for the CPU and what sort of ambient air temps you've got for your room. You didn't even state the temps you're currently seeing with your loop. Make and model of your radiators? Often times, not flushing the rads properly can and will induce clogs in a rad(if you've been using a colored coolant) which will impede performance.
The thicker rad is a alphacool rad the other is a wish special my wife thought would like as Xmas gift few years back ( so a copper knock off) the temps are about 70-85 degrees in room ( the pc brings the room up to these temps when I had old cpu under a 75% load) as for cpu temps the rads are warmer to the touch about 20 degrees warmer than old cpu so I guessing about 130 or littler higher under same load ( bitcoin miner runs when not gaming ) as for voltage and such it what ever the system set up to run on auto as I am not use to these ryzen settings ( still learning). I read a lot of system were over opting the cpu some and it might be my issue too I know ryzen master has 2 setting when I load it saying 110% I think one the other just under 100% I am going to read up more on ryzen settings while at work today if it slow ..
was joking with my wife about using a old fish tank (10 gallon) to be a res but was worried about evaporation with it being this warm.. I got to shoot the temps with new set up

mechnut450

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
found out my rad had plugged up tubes causing the fluids not to flow well and cool much ( I had drained loop and reinstalled everything into a the tower 900 case ( with 2 480 MM rads ) and the cpu only gets about 80degrees under same load. I also replaced the pump and res with a EK setup and larger res ( like 250 mm ) over the 150 ) and system cool running. now my wife complains that the gpu cards are too loud ( since i run them both at 100% fan speed) and gave me a go ahead to to upgrade the 580s to a water cooled gpu. so I ordered a 2080 super overclock and installing it this week one day. ) so I hoping the temps will go down in the room some as the rads can handle it all. now I need to compare the possible output between the dual cards and the single newer card for when I game as I doubt my games have much use for the 2080 setting lol..

Last edited: