[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3950X not performing!

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
I just upgraded from my 4790k to the Ryzen 3950x. It doesnt appear to be performing like it should, I was bottlenecking really bad on games like Flight Simulator 2020 before, but apparently I still am. The games diagnostics say that I am being limited by the main thread. Watching other people with the same CPU/GPU setup they are getting double the FPS I am getting and being limited by the GPU. I have not once seen this CPU get to the 4.7ghz it calls out either. Temps are fine as well, everything is below 60c most of the time.

I find it extremely hard to believe that my 6 year old i7 4790k is out performing this Ryzen 9 3950x, Ever since the upgrade I get PC studders during disc usage, and Lower FPS around the board. PLEASE HELP!!!

ASUS TUF GAMING x570-Plus
Ryzen 9 3950x
Corsair 3600mhz DDR4 2x32gb (64GB)
RTX 2080 TI Founders Edition
Samsung EVO 860 2TB
Corsair iCue H150i Pro Cooler

Solution
Checked everything out, everything is up to date. So after above mentioning that I reseated my CPU, redid my cooler, and made sure it wasnt over torqued, fingers crossed it has been running like a dream. It could be the extra voltage to the ram I am not 100% sure. I am getting 10-15 higher fps on microsoft flight simulator and no more game crashes on the conflicting games. I think this issue my be solved, will keep posted.
I just upgraded from my 4790k to the Ryzen 3950x. It doesnt appear to be performing like it should, I was bottlenecking really bad on games like Flight Simulator 2020 before, but apparently I still am. The games diagnostics say that I am being limited by the main thread. Watching other people with the same CPU/GPU setup they are getting double the FPS I am getting and being limited by the GPU. I have not once seen this CPU get to the 4.7ghz it calls out either. Temps are fine as well, everything is below 60c most of the time.

I find it extremely hard to believe that my 6 year old i7 4790k is out performing this Ryzen 9 3950x, Ever since the upgrade I get PC studders during disc usage, and Lower FPS around the board. PLEASE HELP!!!

Ryzen 9 3950x
Samsung EVO 860 2TB

Did you just transfer your existing SSD and copy of windows over to the updated build?

Reactions: drea.drechsler

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
Did you just transfer your existing SSD and copy of windows over to the updated build?

I did, but I downloaded all the proper drivers. If that is the issue I can reinstall, Just really dont want to have to do that, This hasn't ever causes an issue before I installed this copy of windows back in 2015. I don't wanna loose all my data.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I did, but I downloaded all the proper drivers. If that is the issue I can reinstall, Just really dont want to have to do that, This hasn't ever causes an issue before I installed this copy of windows back in 2015. I don't wanna loose all my data.
You won't get full performance without a clean OS install, IMO. Windows still has junk left over from your previous build.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Ryzen 9 3950x
Samsung EVO 860 2TB
Always do a fresh windows install!

That game only uses about 4 cores so that is why your not getting the increases you thought you would.

For games that can't use the extra cores the 4790K is still a very good processor especially if you have it overclocked.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd take the time to reconsider your backup strategy. Your important data should be backed up at all times, preferably multiple backups; if you're ever in a situation in which a reformat would cause you to lose important data, there's a serious problem with your PC upkeep. Not having a proper backup plan is the best way to lose your data forever.

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
Okay did a fresh install, having another issue with my build now. When I try to download games, programs, etc. I get disc write errors, when something is downloading my computer starts to studder, at any point a game starts to load it studders and sometimes the games will crash. My ram, mobo, and cpu are the only new things in my computer is it possibly my ram came faulty? I am running Microsoft memory diagnostic now but so far it’s at 50% no errors.

It's quite possible that your RAM overclock was not stable to begin with. It's also possible that your SATA SSD is beginning to fail. Roll your RAM back to JEDEC speeds before you proceed with a clean install. Why not get a speedy new PCIE 4.0 drive while you are at it?

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
It's quite possible that your RAM overclock was not stable to begin with. It's also possible that your SATA SSD is beginning to fail. Roll your RAM back to JEDEC speeds before you proceed with a clean install. Why not get a speedy new PCIE 4.0 drive while you are at it?
Wow my ram is showing 2133mhz but it’s 3600mhz... how can I fix this? The bios is doing this in auto setting

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
Enabled D.O.C.P in the bios, still showed 2133mhz but gave it a shot. Started up one of the crashing games, it crashes on load. Took one ram stick out and it starts and loads up the game no issue. Swapped em and it didnt post, reseated and it post and loaded the game fine. Soon as i put both sticks back in A1 and B1 it crashes.... is the motherboard bad, if this is a bad mother board my luck is crap. My Z97 i was running with my 4790k was a RMA...

Last edited:
Okay, I tried all these combinations here are the results.

A1-B1 Game crashed on load
A2-B2 Game crashed on load
A1-A2 Game crashed on load
B1-B2 Game starts just fine
Indibidual in A1 starts fine

No matter what I do I cannot put both of these sticks on this board and them work unless they are both on B channel

I think you may have a bad memory kit as it's evident all channels are working - you do need to get a module in each memory channel for best performance.

Here is a link to the memory testing for your motherboard:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...or_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

Note you may have to bump up the memory voltage to get it stable - if the XMP settings won't load (or the motherboard doesn't have an option to import them, I have an X370 mobo from Asus which doesn't support XMP) then you have to manually adjust. The default DDR4 spec runs the memory at 1.2v but many of the faster kits need 1.3 - 1.4 V to be stable. That might be part of your issue.

Leave your RAM at 2133MT/s for now. You need to troubleshoot things one at a time instead of just shotgunning then Easter egg hunting. Once you have figured out if your other components are stable, thrn you can attempt RAM OC, but honestly even that looks way beyond your expertise level.

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
I think you may have a bad memory kit as it's evident all channels are working - you do need to get a module in each memory channel for best performance.

Here is a link to the memory testing for your motherboard:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...or_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

Note you may have to bump up the memory voltage to get it stable - if the XMP settings won't load (or the motherboard doesn't have an option to import them, I have an X370 mobo from Asus which doesn't support XMP) then you have to manually adjust. The default DDR4 spec runs the memory at 1.2v but many of the faster kits need 1.3 - 1.4 V to be stable. That might be part of your issue.
If i remember correctly the when i put it in D.O.C.P the board put the voltage at 1.35, attempting to make it stable I bumped it to 1.38 and it didnt appear to change. I ran a MEMTEST over night and it was still going when I got up this morning with 0 errors. Thats with the chips in A2 and B2. Before I started that though I did reseat my CPU, and made sure my cooler wasnt to tight. I had that issue before with another build. I havent had a chance to test it out yet to see if anything of that helped. I am no expert by any means but I can figure stuff out. Self taught CNC machinist and self taught mechanic. I been building my own computers and buddies since I was 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdrkf
If i remember correctly the when i put it in D.O.C.P the board put the voltage at 1.35, attempting to make it stable I bumped it to 1.38 and it didnt appear to change. I ran a MEMTEST over night and it was still going when I got up this morning with 0 errors. Thats with the chips in A2 and B2. Before I started that though I did reseat my CPU, and made sure my cooler wasnt to tight. I had that issue before with another build. I havent had a chance to test it out yet to see if anything of that helped. I am no expert by any means but I can figure stuff out. Self taught CNC machinist and self taught mechanic. I been building my own computers and buddies since I was 15.

Just a quick suggestion as you're getting a lot of help trying to troubleshoot memory. But one thing I've found that can be helpful is to update to a recent BIOS rev. if you're still running on the shipping BIOS of the motherboard. The base AGESA code is always being improved, especially for memory compatibility, and the shipping BIOS might be well out of date. Also be sure to do a CMOS reset, even if shipping BIOS is fairly recent, to make sure there's no misconfigured settings hiding out in there.

And one last thing since you had to do a clean Windows 10 re-install is be sure to also install the AMD chipset drivers, downloaded from AMD's support web site.

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
Just a quick suggestion as you're getting a lot of help trying to troubleshoot memory. But one thing I've found that can be helpful is to update to a recent BIOS rev. if you're still running on the shipping BIOS of the motherboard. The base AGESA code is always being improved, especially for memory compatibility, and the shipping BIOS might be well out of date. Also be sure to do a CMOS reset, even if shipping BIOS is fairly recent, to make sure there's no misconfigured settings hiding out in there.

And one last thing since you had to do a clean Windows 10 re-install is be sure to also install the AMD chipset drivers, downloaded from AMD's support web site.
Thanks for the tip, I did update the bios to the newest version using ASUS software, using the same software also downloaded all the most recent drivers. I will check the version with AMD site and make sure they are the same.

Thanks for the tip, I did update the bios to the newest version using ASUS software, using the same software also downloaded all the most recent drivers. I will check the version with AMD site and make sure they are the same.
I''ve never had good results with motherboard S/w so I'd not trust Asus' either...in fact I'd uninstall it. All of it, at least until you get the issues ironed out with memory stability. Once you get that done then load up the things you need to control special functions...like RGB maybe...and see if it's hurting or helping stability/performance.

Only get the chipset drivers directly from the AMD support website to make sure you have the latest.

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
I''ve never had good results with motherboard S/w so I'd not trust Asus' either...in fact I'd uninstall it. All of it, at least until you get the issues ironed out with memory stability. Once you get that done then load up the things you need to control special functions...like RGB maybe...and see if it's hurting or helping stability/performance.

Only get the chipset drivers directly from the AMD support website to make sure you have the latest.
Will do, I will do that soon as I get home for work.

JohnstonOctober

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
Checked everything out, everything is up to date. So after above mentioning that I reseated my CPU, redid my cooler, and made sure it wasnt over torqued, fingers crossed it has been running like a dream. It could be the extra voltage to the ram I am not 100% sure. I am getting 10-15 higher fps on microsoft flight simulator and no more game crashes on the conflicting games. I think this issue my be solved, will keep posted.

Last edited:
Solution