[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3950x underwhelming Perfomance help

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Hello everyone

disclaimer: it is my very first self built PC; i have no experience with OC; please excuse my bad english :)

my specs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X570 AORUS XTREME (AM4) - Bios version F11 (09.12.2019, latest) XMP profile 1 enabled (rest on default)

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x: Latest Chipsetdriver installed from AMD Website

Graphics:
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Gigabyte) (no OC, latest Driver installed)

RAM:
64Gb (2x 2x16Gb) G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)

PSU:
Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum (1000W)

Cooling:

Custom Watercooled; 3x 360mm Rad; 10x 120mm Fans

Resolution:
2560 x 1440

Windows Ver. 1909

My problem is, when i play games (mostly just PUBG) i get max 144fps but with constant drops and very unstable frametimes, it just feels wrong and not smooth at al, ofc especially in areas with lots of people around (hot drop or fights).
I did run cinebench R20 (9200 Points) and timespy extreme (7964) points. As far as im concerned those results look decent, maybe a little underwhelming but no big deal.
i have .hml files from my MSI afterburner logs while i performed the above mentioned tasks (gaming includet).

So to summ it up. In my opinion the Gaming experience im having ist a no go, a setup like this (especially for the price) has to performe a lot better (or am i wrong on this?).

I hope you can help me out on this and im looking forward to read your comments / Posts.

cheers

my TimeSpy results:

Link to my .jpg and .hml Files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0eV47cC4GlADeBNzEiCqeQj25lh_G0a/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
Graphics:

2080TI with 3GB VRAM?

RAM:
64Gb (2x 2x8Gb) G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)

2x 2x8GB. That's 32GB of RAM. Not 64.

And don't listen to whoever said this was an entry lvl CPU for gaming. The 3950x is not that far away from the 9900k

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBWlZ0aJWQ
So to summ it up. In my opinion the Gaming experience im having ist a no go, a setup like this (especially for the price) has to performe a lot better (or am i wrong on this?).
Your impression and opinion is spot on...a 3950X, even though it should perform well, is not a cost-effective basis for a gaming rig. That's an entry level HEDT CPU, needed in app's where a lot of cores/threads are important. All those cores are cool but they simply get in the way when even a highly threaded game only hits one thread heavily and the rest lightly.

You might try disabling an entire CCD to reduce CPU thermals and overclocking just the remaining one to see if you can get higher clocks. 8 cores/16 threads is all anyone needs for gaming even if running some other apps (streaming, discord, whatever) along with it. When you need all those cores/threads just re-enable the CCD and you're good to go.

Probably to late to matter, but a much better alternative would have been the 3800X. Mainly because it will be so much cheaper and would perform as well (maybe better with tweaking) in games. But even that will be only slightly better than a 3600X, cheaper even still, for gaming if you don't do streaming or discord or have any other apps open and running at the same time.

Last edited:
Have you made sure your RAM is configured to run at its full DDR4-3600 speed? Maybe try running the system benchmark at UserBenchmark.com and linking to your results page here, as it can help identify if a particular component might be underperforming...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Aside from that, I'm not exactly sure how PUBG runs now, but I know at least in the past it had been known to have some performance issues.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
You might try disabling an entire CCD to reduce CPU thermals and overclocking just the remaining one to see if you can get higher clocks. 8 cores/16 threads is all anyone needs for gaming even if running some other apps (streaming, discord, whatever) along with it. When you need all those cores/threads just re-enable the CCD and you're good to go.

Probably to late to matter, but a much better alternative would have been the 3800X. Mainly because it will be so much cheaper and would perform as well (maybe better with tweaking) in games. But even that will be only slightly better than a 3600X, cheaper even still, for gaming if you don't do streaming or discord or have any other apps open and running at the same time.

thx ill try that. But basically you are saying, that the CPU seems to perform how it should?

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Have you made sure your RAM is configured to run at its full DDR4-3600 speed? Maybe try running the system benchmark at UserBenchmark.com and linking to your results page here, as it can help identify if a particular component might be underperforming...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Aside from that, I'm not exactly sure how PUBG runs now, but I know at least in the past it had been known to have some performance issues.

hey i did run the User Benchmark.

here the results

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23633612

i dont get the evaluation thing :D

hey i did run the User Benchmark.

here the results

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23633612

i dont get the evaluation thing :D
UserBenchmark is pretty much worthless to use to compare to other systems. You have to compare it to almost identical systems because it's highly synthetic and weights processor performance against what they think it should perform like in comparisons. They only recently changed the weighting to down-grade Ryzen processors because they have 'too many threads and that's not realistic'.

I'd compare Cinebench R20 scores to results reviewers have been getting. They all use that because it's a realistic workload and highly repeatable so you should have some good results out there to compare to.

In 3DMark, look at CPU or physics scores separate from graphics scores when wondering if your CPU is the problem.

You might also run HWInfo and look at core clock speeds or core multipliers to see how they trend during the run. Doing so will reduce the score but you'll get an idea if clocks are being pulled as it heats up... pointing to a cooling problem, for instance.

And lastly: is F11 the latest BIOS? have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers, from the AMD site? Are you running Windows ver. 1909 (latest)?

And in BIOS enable Cool-n-Quiet, enable Advanced C-States, enable Processor CPPC and enable CPPC Preferred Cores. They may be named slightly different in your BIOS. This isn't overclocking, just telling the CPU to enable it's features and not leave it to chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
UserBenchmark is pretty much worthless to use to compare to other systems. You have to compare it to almost identical systems because it's highly synthetic and weights processor performance against what they think it should perform like in comparisons. They only recently changed the weighting to down-grade Ryzen processors because they have 'too many threads and that's not realistic'.

I'd compare Cinebench R20 scores to results reviewers have been getting. They all use that because it's a realistic workload and highly repeatable so you should have some good results out there to compare to.

In 3DMark, look at CPU or physics scores separate from graphics scores when wondering if your CPU is the problem.

You might also run HWInfo and look at core clock speeds or core multipliers to see how they trend during the run. Doing so will reduce the score but you'll get an idea if clocks are being pulled as it heats up... pointing to a cooling problem, for instance.

And lastly: is F11 the latest BIOS? have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers, from the AMD site? Are you running Windows ver. 1909 (latest)?

And in BIOS enable Cool-n-Quiet, enable Advanced C-States, enable Processor CPPC and enable CPPC Preferred Cores. They may be named slightly different in your BIOS. This isn't overclocking, just telling the CPU to enable it's features and not leave it to chance.

Hey thank you for your reply.

Yes F11 is the latest BIOS, AMD chipsets installed from the AMD site and the latest windows version is runnig.
I try to tweak with the settings you told me in the BIOS and ill post an update. Im very buisy at Work atm so it might take a while sadly :(

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Comparing one part/system to another, I agree, I wouldn't use userbenchmark. But for comparing to other results for the same components, to try to isolate anything not performing as it should, I think it's a useful tool.

Last edited:
Hello everyone

disclaimer: it is my very first self built PC; i have no experience with OC; please excuse my bad english :)

my specs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X570 AORUS XTREME (AM4) - Bios version F11 (09.12.2019, latest) XMP profile 1 enabled (rest on default)

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x: Latest Chipsetdriver installed from AMD Website

Graphics:

RAM:
64Gb (2x 2x8Gb) G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)

PSU:
Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum (1000W)

Cooling:

Custom Watercooled; 3x 360mm Rad; 10x 120mm Fans

Resolution:
2560 x 1440

Windows Ver. 1909

My problem is, when i play games (mostly just PUBG) i get max 144fps but with constant drops and very unstable frametimes, it just feels wrong and not smooth at al, ofc especially in areas with lots of people around (hot drop or fights).
I did run cinebench R20 (9200 Points) and timespy extreme (7964) points. As far as im concerned those results look decent, maybe a little underwhelming but no big deal.
i have .hml files from my MSI afterburner logs while i performed the above mentioned tasks (gaming includet).

I hope you can help me out on this and im looking forward to read your comments / Posts.

cheers

my TimeSpy results:

Link to my .jpg and .hml Files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0eV47cC4GlADeBNzEiCqeQj25lh_G0a/view?usp=sharing

What are your CPU and GPU temps during the issue?
I see that you are overclocking in the 3DMark link, can you try without overclocking the CPU and GPU?

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
What are your CPU and GPU temps during the issue?
I see that you are overclocking in the 3DMark link, can you try without overclocking the CPU and GPU?
Thats the issue! Im not overclocking the cpu. At least not that im aware of. The BIOS is on default F11 settings (except for XMP) and i get a weird 4500-3600 ish on all cores. I postet all measurements in the Zipfile, everything monitored with Afterburner, log files in the google link.
temperatures are monitored as well but average cpu is around 60isch under benchmarkload and gpu around 40isch.

Thats the issue! Im not overclocking the cpu. At least not that im aware of. The BIOS is on default F11 settings (except for XMP) and i get a weird 4500-3600 ish on all cores. I postet all measurements in the Zipfile, everything monitored with Afterburner, log files in the google link.
temperatures are monitored as well but average cpu is around 60isch under benchmarkload and gpu around 40isch.
Are you overclocking the GPU? In 3DMark it says 2130Mhz Core and 2000Mhz Memory.
Sometimes when you OC performance goes down but I don't think its your issue since that's not an extreme overclock. You can try without OCing the GPU and see if games are still slow.

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Are you overclocking the GPU? In 3DMark it says 2130Mhz Core and 2000Mhz Memory.
Sometimes when you OC performance goes down but I don't think its your issue since that's not an extreme overclock. You can try without OCing the GPU and see if games are still slow.
Yes there is a small OC on the gpu that i did in the hope to get rid of the stutters. My main issue are the inconsistent frametimes whilst gaming at 144fps (see log files saved in the googledrive) i had no oc at the begining and still had those issues. I can try to remove the gpu oc tomorrow and re run 3d mark and log it on afterburner if that can help.

Yes there is a small OC on the gpu that i did in the hope to get rid of the stutters. My main issue are the inconsistent frametimes whilst gaming at 144fps (see log files saved in the googledrive) i had no oc at the begining and still had those issues. I can try to remove the gpu oc tomorrow and re run 3d mark and log it on afterburner if that can help.
Is your game and GPU+Chipset drivers up to date?

cecchfab

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
There is the possibility it's the ram.
We all know 4 sticks is harder to get tuned in.
And watching the numbers in userbench can help with that when tuning.

Ryzen dram calculator may help.
I give dram calculator a try i have the feeling smth is off with the timings, a cpu like a 3950x just should not bottleneck a game :)