Question Ryzen 9 5900X Always Running Hot

Jul 1, 2022
Hey guys. So I've had this issue for a while now I just haven't really thought about asking anyone until now. I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x in a fairly open case. I have some pretty good fans setup I believe and it just always seems that my CPU runs hot. Sometimes at idle I'm sitting around 85 degrees Celsius. Sometimes when gaming I get a high temp warning that my CPU reached 100 degrees Celsius. I know this is pretty hot and I'm not sure why it's getting this hot. Do I need a better cooler? I'm using a Corsair H100I Elite Capellix that's top mounted with 2 fans. I just don't know why it always runs so hot and for the longevity of my PC I want to stop this issue as soon as I can. Thank you. My top mounted AIO fans are set to exhaust.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Nice looking rig, by the way.

Any time you run your AIO on "top exhaust" you are pulling system heat through the rad. Even with that, it shouldn't be idling that high.
Have you taken time to check in fan/pump settings to see if the pump is running at an appropriate speed setting, and the fans as well?
Checked your block install and paste application to see that all is good?

How old is the AIO?

Reactions: Makaveli

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
first step is to reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps.

then check to be sure the pump is working properly and there is no air in the lines.

i have a 5900x cooled by a Be Quiet pure rock 2 which is nowhere near the cooler you have. i sit around 40 degrees doing minimal work and barely see 70 degrees when gaming.so something is def wrong in your set-up.

edit: i guess a question we should ask is if you have it overclocked or not. is it manually oc'ed to where the cpu runs flat out no matter what the load? obviously "idling" at 5 ghz is not the same as idling at a base of 2 ghz or so

Jul 1, 2022
first step is to reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps.

then check to be sure the pump is working properly and there is no air in the lines.

i have a 5900x cooled by a Be Quiet pure rock 2 which is nowhere near the cooler you have. i sit around 40 degrees doing minimal work and barely see 70 degrees when gaming.so something is def wrong in your set-up.

edit: i guess a question we should ask is if you have it overclocked or not. is it manually oc'ed to where the cpu runs flat out no matter what the load? obviously "idling" at 5 ghz is not the same as idling at a base of 2 ghz or so
Thank you very much! That makes a ton of sense. Would you recommend me doing a front mount config and pull air in? Also only about a year old! Haven't taken off my CPU in a while because I tried that about 6 months ago and put new paste on.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't use watercooling myself so can't really speak to what works best. perhaps someone with that experience can offer some input there.

i don't really mess with overclocking and such so never had the need to mess with extreme cooling like that :)

i normally see a radiator mounted on top like yours but i don't know if that is best or just the best looking place to put it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It is best (IMO) for CPU temp, where possible, to run a radiator pulling fresh ambient temp air. According to your setup, the tradeoff here can be in GPU temps as the incoming fresh air is heated by the cooler at least to some degree.

The counterpoint is mounting your radiator with fans to exhaust. This typically causes air that has been heated by the GPU and system components to be exhausted through the rad causing potentially higher CPU temps.

Both of these factors can be determined in great part by case air flow, be it factors of design, number of fans and orientation, size of the case and more. In some cases, you may find an install where the cooler hoses aren't long enough to install various positions available.

Jul 1, 2022
It is best (IMO) for CPU temp, where possible, to run a radiator pulling fresh ambient temp air. According to your setup, the tradeoff here can be in GPU temps as the incoming fresh air is heated by the cooler at least to some degree.

The counterpoint is mounting your radiator with fans to exhaust. This typically causes air that has been heated by the GPU and system components to be exhausted through the rad causing potentially higher CPU temps.

Both of these factors can be determined in great part by case air flow, be it factors of design, number of fans and orientation, size of the case and more. In some cases, you may find an install where the cooler hoses aren't long enough to install various positions available.
Awesome I appreciate it a ton I've been trying my best to get this fixed!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Awesome I appreciate it a ton I've been trying my best to get this fixed!

I would suggest a test before making any changes.

Drop your side panel and run the system to see where temps fall to. If it is significant and brings it into an acceptable range, there is an airflow problem with your case. If temps don't drop significantly, it is likely indicative of a problem elsewhere.

Certain assumptions are being made such as dust having been blown out of the system and what ambient temps are.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Isn't that what a top mounted setup will do since you are pushing the hot air from inside the case thru the rad.
¯\(ツ)
I don't have any idea why front mounted cpu AIO is so much worse than top, when open air gpu farts on everything around and above it. Nope, no idea at all...
Gpu typically draws more power than cpu, so it's capable of warming up other components more... nope, still don't have an idea...

Makaveli

Splendid
¯\(ツ)
I don't have any idea why front mounted cpu AIO is so much worse than top, when open air gpu farts on everything around and above it. Nope, no idea at all...
Gpu typically draws more power than cpu, so it's capable of warming up other components more... nope, still don't have an idea...

To each his own I guess in my setup I'm front mounted with my AIO which I prefer. And while my gpu draws more power than my cpu there temps are similar with both fully loaded. I generally don't see my gpu go over 75c while gaming and the cpu usually in the mid 60's.

Reactions: Phaaze88

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Unless I missed it you never said what model of case that is. In the picture I can see vents on the side of the front panel. Does that mean the rest of the front panel is solid. That is not ideal. It restricts airflow and all the recommendations to front mount your AIO won't work very well with limited airflow.

And just out of curiosity, where is your PSU?

Reactions: Kedi yiyen bir kedi

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is underneath the bottom fans in a seperate compartment.

Airflow should be fine, fans are oriented correctly.

Trapped air won't be an issue, the rad is well above the pump, you won't get air pushed that far down once it's acclimated and up top.

Gpu has almost zero affect on a cpu at idle with a top mounted rad. What a gpu is capable of, and what it's actually doing are 2 seperate things.

As far as top vs front, with decent airflow there's actually very little difference overall. Front sees generally slightly higher gpu temps and lower cpu temps, top sees slightly higher cpu and lower gpu, when put in comparison to each other. Pull config front can change that as air is unrestricted to the gpu vrs diluted sp when the rad is in push.

What air you get is NOT the temp of the component. When a pushed cpu is front mounted and running 80°C, that's Not the temp of the air running out of the rad. What you get is air charged with upto 142w of heat, which is nowhere near the 1500w of a hairdryer on high. The air will only be slightly warmer than the temp of the coolant, which at most runs 40-50°C in a 22ish°C environment.

50°C air has very little impact on a cpu running 70°C+ or a gpu running closer to 80°C+.

What'll impact them both more is airflow, of which push rads are worse for the gpu, especially with decent exhaust capacity as the air doesn't reach the gpu to feed its fans.

None of that affects idle temps, which are more closely respondent to cpu power use.

I'm going to assume that you enabled Performance mode in bios for the motherboard, and most likely also enabled Performance power plan in Windows, which isn't going to allow idle states, it's just a jacked up power cpu doing nothing of value.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
In a recent similar post the OP redid his thermal paste after removing the water block from the cpu and noting that the paste was absent on one area of the water block. He redid the paste and now has normal temps. It's worth a try.

Remove all the old paste with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol. Get a good quality paste. I used Noctua NT-H2. It comes with an insert showing the proper application method and for 5900X that is the 5 dot method.

Jul 28, 2022
Hey guys. So I've had this issue for a while now I just haven't really thought about asking anyone until now. I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x in a fairly open case. I have some pretty good fans setup I believe and it just always seems that my CPU runs hot. Sometimes at idle I'm sitting around 85 degrees Celsius. Sometimes when gaming I get a high temp warning that my CPU reached 100 degrees Celsius. I know this is pretty hot and I'm not sure why it's getting this hot. Do I need a better cooler? I'm using a Corsair H100I Elite Capellix that's top mounted with 2 fans. I just don't know why it always runs so hot and for the longevity of my PC I want to stop this issue as soon as I can. Thank you. My top mounted AIO fans are set to exhaust.
Turn off Mircosoft Teams, When teams is running my CPU sits at 80c, and when I game it goes to 90c
When teams if off my CPU sits at 66c. I know it sounds crazy but google teams cause high CPU temps