[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5900x and Borderlands 3

vincent1983

Reputable
Mar 31, 2018
Hello everyone,

AMD question if anyone might have an idea. I moved from a Ryzen 3700X to a Ryzen 5900X. Everything I tested after the change saw a small to large improvement, except one game - borderlands 3. My FPS dropped in benchmark from 95 under the 3700 to 65 under the 5900.

I didn't freshly install windows, j just swapped CPUs.

Any ideas? Or just a fresh install?

Thanks

Solution
Did you reset the bios. Those cpus are different architectures and some internal voltage settings can and will be different.

That'll affect how the cpu boosts. Also check your cpu temps afterwards. You went from a 65w cpu that'll hit 90w when pushed, to a 105w cpu that'll hit 142w. With the way Ryzen responds to boost vs voltages vs temps per core according to workload, if you are hitting high enough averages on a couple of cores, they'll start downclocking on a per core basis. Starting at @ 60°C.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reset the bios. Those cpus are different architectures and some internal voltage settings can and will be different.

That'll affect how the cpu boosts. Also check your cpu temps afterwards. You went from a 65w cpu that'll hit 90w when pushed, to a 105w cpu that'll hit 142w. With the way Ryzen responds to boost vs voltages vs temps per core according to workload, if you are hitting high enough averages on a couple of cores, they'll start downclocking on a per core basis. Starting at @ 60°C.

Reactions: vincent1983
Solution