Question Ryzen 9 5900x High Temps

Jul 26, 2022
I'm getting 90 most of the time and its only peaked at 98 once other than that it's 96 or 94 after a full night of gaming, like Ryzen said it would. I also heard somewhere I could use my Ryzen 5 cooler. Could anyone just confirm these stats are okay? I see a lot of other posts but their temps are 5c under mine and I know how much of a difference that is at higher temps. Thankyou!

I'm getting 90 most of the time and its only peaked at 98 once other than that it's 96 or 94 after a full night of gaming, like Ryzen said it would. I also heard somewhere I could use my Ryzen 5 cooler. Could anyone just confirm these stats are okay? I see a lot of other posts but their temps are 5c under mine and I know how much of a difference that is at higher temps. Thankyou!
I would never want to see 98C temps...it was probably throttling at that time. Tjmax for a 5900X is 90C so I wouldn't want to see 94-96C either. I think it's not uncommon for one to run as high as 90C, but that's really only something to be expected with all-core heavy processing workloads like video rendering. Gaming is typically only one or two cores working very hard and the rest very sporadic/bursty so temps shouldn't be pushing that high unless it's severely under-cooled.

I suppose you can use a Ryzen 5 cooler with a 5900X...but then you'll get temps like that which you're seeing. Maybe worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 26, 2022
I would never want to see 98C temps...it was probably throttling at that time. Tjmax for a 5900X is 90C so I wouldn't want to see 94-96C either. I think it's not uncommon for one to run as high as 90C, but that's really only something to be expected with all-core heavy processing workloads like video rendering. Gaming is typically only one or two cores working very hard and the rest very sporadic/bursty so temps shouldn't be pushing that high unless it's severely under-cooled.

I suppose you can use a Ryzen 5 cooler with a 5900X...but then you'll get temps like that which you're seeing. Maybe worse.

5900X has a max operating temperature of 90C. Are you using HWINFO to monitor CPU(Tctl/Tdie) sensor?

Cpu cooler?
Gpu?
Case?

Sorry let me be a little more specific. My GPU is a RTX 3060, I wish I new the name of the cooler, it came with my Ryzen 5 3600. I keep finding forums back and fourth it's not okay to see those temps, it is okay to see those temps. My case is a Corsair iCUE 4000X. Yes I am using HWInfo. My CCD1 Tdie is the only one that has peaked 98C, but only once ever recorded. Some nights it maxes out at 89-95C, and rarely 96C. My temps under heavy load (ie. downloading, uploading) are fine sitting at 85C but as soon as I turn on any videogame the temps rise to stay between 87-90C and then starts peaking to around 92C, ill leave HWI running, a max eventually pops up that it was around 95C at one point. I should obviously get a new cooler to keep my subconscious from eating away at me, what I really want to know is if this has caused any horrific damage in the past 3 months ive owned it, if it has could I get a manufacturers warranty? Cause shortly after getting the cpu I did learn ryzen said they didn't ship 9s with coolers cause the cooler from the 5 should be enough. Also thankyou 🙏

Last edited:
... what I really want to know is if this has caused any horrific damage in the past 3 months ive owned it, if it has could I get a manufacturers warranty? Cause shortly after getting the cpu I did learn ryzen said they didn't ship 9s with coolers cause the cooler from the 5 should be enough. Also thankyou 🙏

Horrific damage? not likely...but it is possible it's degraded slightly more than it would have if run at lower temps. Most likely not enough to matter but no one can say with any certainty.

If you HAD done it serious harm I don't think you should expect satisfaction from a warranty claim since assuring it's properly cooled and not running at temperatures beyond Tjmax is your responsibility as the "system designer". But what AMD does is up to them.

Check this out:

You may also have other cooling problems since case ventilation is very important to prevent hot air exhausting from the GPU being ingested by an air cooler on the CPU. That's where your responsibility as the system designer comes in.

Last edited:
What cooler are you using at the moment? A Ryzen 5 cooler is not remotely adequate for a 5900X.

horrific damage in the past 3 months ive owned it, if it has could I get a manufacturers warranty?

It's unlikely you will have caused 'horrific damage' over the last few months. However this temperature is far too high and asking for trouble if you continue with it long term. You need a minimum of a 240mm liquid cooler for this sort of CPU. Also I would ensure the thermal cut out is enabled in the bios to protect the CPU.

If you want the premium CPU you need the premium cooler to go with it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I should obviously get a new cooler to keep my subconscious from eating away at me, what I really want to know is if this has caused any horrific damage in the past 3 months ive owned it,
Yes, you absolutely should. The biggest cooler you can ostensibly fit in the budget and case. Ryzens boost cores and speeds according to voltages and temps. Higher the temp, lower the boost, lower the amount of cores affected by the boost. Ideally you want that 5900x to be hitting 60-70°C under heavy loads.

Damage is totally unknowable. Theres no way to guage health. You might have done no damage to the silicon, or burned out a few keys and the cpu will be totally oblivious. Or you may have degraded the silicon enough to halve its lifespan, so it's now got only 25years± left or so....

Reactions: Nighthawk117

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Not even that. @Math Geek uses a Pure Rock 2 on theirs.
Then there's the above Vetroo V5 video...

yes i do and it is running great :)

but i do also make sure to note that i have the power limits still in place. remember the cpu slot is limited to ~145w with the limits in place. so that 150w Pure Rock 2 cooler is more than ample for it.

but if you do intend on lifting those limits and letting it really eat, then yah it'll hit 250w or so if i recall right. that will take much more cooling 🥵 🥵

if i ever decide i need the extra speed, i'll make sure to add some better cooling, but for me i need the extra threads more than speed so the stock limits with PBO on is plenty for my uses. i'm not one of those that feels i have to push it to the max just cause i can :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many of the Ryzens, like the 5600, are power efficient enough that they'll not actually hit socket limits under stock conditions, but still hit max boost. So for those cpus, PBO basically does nada, but offer up a 200MHz addition to the boost, and maybe then they'll hit the socket limits. The 5900x isn't one of those. With a load like Prime95, it'll hit its 142w limit, and put a hold on the boost. Enabling PBO will raise those limits, add the 200MHz and essentially set the cpu free to boost its heart out.

That's when ppl run into heat issues on budget or undersized coolers. The 5900x has enough cores and radiated heat under PBO to exceed the cooler capacity, resulting in high temps, and lowered boosts. Undervolting can help that somewhat, but done too excessively it hurts single thread performance too much, which drops fps on the master thread, even though temps and voltages seem right, and they are, for multi thread scores.

It's a balancing act really, to determine what temps and voltages get best overall performance, regardless of what the user thinks they shoukd/could be. It's a Ryzen after all, not an intel cpu.