Question Ryzen 9 5900x limiting potential of my 3090ti?

Aug 11, 2022
Hey everyone, I’ve been pc gaming since 2018, bought a prebuilt nzxt then and finally decided to upgrade today and threw these parts together earlier and ordered and plan on doing my first build once it all gets here. (Here’s my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s2T88r )

I figured this would be enough and overkill for what I need it for, but that’s fine. I’d rather spend this much now and not have to worry about it for a few years+. But my big concern now is now that I’ve ordered everything, I’m just wondering if the ryzen 9 5900x will be enough? I wanted to do the new intel i9, but friends with more experience recommended against it. Not sure if I would get more out of my 3090ti with this ryzen 9 5900x, or if I’d get more out of my 3090ti with a newer gen intel i9?

I also ordered a gigabyte 27” 1440p 240hz 1ms monitor to game on and now I’m starting to overthink everything and thinking that my cpu and gpu won’t be able to run 1440p at 240fps on a game like WZ with lower settings?

Idk, I’m confused now and overthinking and worrying. I want the 3090ti, idc about the price I spent, I’m just wondering if I’m “bottlenecking”, or limiting the potential of a 3090ti by using a Ryzen 9 5900x over a newer intel i9? Or is there much of a difference?

I mean if I was to swap out the Ryzen 9 5900x with the intel i9-12900k and swap the asus x570e mobo with the asus rog strix z690a that would be about a $270 difference which (not trying to sound arrogant) wouldn’t really hurt me since I’m just trying to get the best of the best and something that’ll run amazing for years to come.

Idk, I’m not the most knowledgeable, I’m just stressing because if I’m not sure the best option.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
run 1440p at 240fps on a game like WZ with lower settings
With a 3090Ti... Why low(er) settings? Gpu can't go faster than what the cpu + ram can deliver to it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XB3yo74dKU

(4:48)
Maybe should've settled on that i9 after all... Warzone is one of the games that likes the 5800X 3D's extra cache, thus making it faster than the 5900X, but the i9 is faster still.

Plus that game is software limited; when the fastest hardware still doesn't cut it, people come here or elsewhere looking for help, but often get pointed to one of many 'Warzone Fps Increase' videos, due to the game being poorly optimized.

If you want the latest and faster hardware, I9 it is, its newer, faster single core, a bit hot, but it is just plain out faster.

If you can deal with some slower slightly older hardware, the 5900x should do well at 1440p with a 3090ti.

Of course you do get some games that will scale better with intel, and some that don't, seen some people complain about some older games no able to handle the mix of P and E cores really well and the need to be on Win 11 to fully optimize the CPU since Win 10 they didn't give a crap about 12th gen optimizations, AMD you got the infinity fabric and some games don't like the latency from it, thats why you try to get the fastest ram possible, but you are lucky to get any current Ryzen to post stably above 4000mhz ram speed and 2000mhz Infinity fabric 1 to 1, so that can hurt its performance in some titles such as Warzone for example.

I do like how the 5800X3D is just killing it out there, but too bad its just a 8 core 16 thread CPU or I would of snagged one of them up.

Good luck!