[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5900X proper cooler?

Solution
Does the Noctua NH-D15 use the same backplate as my existing NH-U12S? It would be a great convenience if it did.
Yes.

Any 280 AIO recommendations?
Which coolers would you guys choose if it were your build? My case is a Fractal Design Design S.
Letting you know in advance that I'm not a fan:
-of RGB, as I don't get to see it, as well as finding it distracting
-of mandatory software. Less software is better. Screw iCUE and CAM.
What I recommend might be a little 'dull'.
It's rather sad that the 280mm models aren't as popular. That's like the best balanced out of the 3. The number of 280mm on partpicker's list compared to the other 2 sizes is just like, 'yikes'...

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280: The front of your Define S...
What do you mean by "Proper" ? That's a relatively hot CPU allowed to go up to 90c without loss of performance. For anything else under 80c you need a good 280 or 360 AIO cooler or very big air cooler.
Agreed, that's what I'm currently seeing. I previously had my Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black cooling my Ryzen 5 5600X. Then I swapped in my new Ryzen 9 5900X and noticed the temp hitting a high value of 86C while playing Warzone. To be perfectly honest, I was so fixated on locating a chip at retail price, that I forgot to mentally factor-in the necessity of upgrading the cooling. I'm consider either a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, or a 280mm AIO

Addendum: Does the Noctua NH-D15 use the same backplate as my existing NH-U12S? It would be a great convenience if it did. Any 280 AIO recommendations? When I look at Amazon and NewEgg reviews, many of the models have varying complaints. Which coolers would you guys choose if it were your build? My case is a Fractal Design Design S.

Agreed, that's what I'm currently seeing. I previously had my Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black cooling my Ryzen 5 5600X. Then I swapped in my new Ryzen 9 5900X and noticed the temp hitting a high value of 86C while playing Warzone. To be perfectly honest, I was so fixated on locating a chip at retail price, that I forgot to mentally factor-in the necessity of upgrading the cooling. I'm consider either a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, or a 280mm AIO

Addendum: Does the Noctua NH-D15 use the same backplate as my existing NH-U12S? It would be a great convenience if it did. Any 280 AIO recommendations? When I look at Amazon and NewEgg reviews, many of the models have varying complaints. Which coolers would you guys choose if it were your build? My case is a Fractal Design Design S.
Ryzen motherboards come with own backplate, coolers with AM4 mounts use that one.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does the Noctua NH-D15 use the same backplate as my existing NH-U12S? It would be a great convenience if it did.
Yes.

Any 280 AIO recommendations?
Which coolers would you guys choose if it were your build? My case is a Fractal Design Design S.
Letting you know in advance that I'm not a fan:
-of RGB, as I don't get to see it, as well as finding it distracting
-of mandatory software. Less software is better. Screw iCUE and CAM.
What I recommend might be a little 'dull'.
It's rather sad that the 280mm models aren't as popular. That's like the best balanced out of the 3. The number of 280mm on partpicker's list compared to the other 2 sizes is just like, 'yikes'...

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280: The front of your Define S has a 55mm thickness limitation, so it's a top only mount for this one(63mm thick).
be quiet! Pure Loop 280
Deepcool Castle 280EX
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2: I'm actually waiting on this one. Gonna replace the Celsius S36 with it. The NF-A14s have a more pleasant sound profile than the NF-F12s currently being used on the S36. They're also easier to clean.

I would've suggested the Phanteks Glacier One 280MP, but I've read posts that say the pump is unusually audible, and Phanteks reps talking like it's actually normal...

Last edited:
Reactions: rcald2000
Solution