[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5900x Thermal Help

Nov 18, 2021
Specs:
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-A Gaming
RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
Cooler: Vetroo v240 240mm Radiator
GPU: GT 1030
(Don't ask I had it laying around and it's just a place holder until I snipe myself a RTX 3080)
PSU: Corsair Gold 650w

Alright, my 5900x has really unstable temperatures, when the pc boots up it will jump around between 45c and 75c.
This causes my fans to constantly jump speeds and it's really frustrating hearing them go up down up down
As an example simply launching Minecraft will make the CPU stick jump to roughly 70c however then it will settle down around 40c.
I'm only worried because my CPU's have never jumped around temperature wise like that.
Stress test took it all the way to 91c.
Even when put into ECO Mode 65w it still heats up the same way as if it was in 105w mode.
To compare I tested a Ryzen 5 5600x and the temperatures on that CPU were stable and normal#

I'm no expert in CPU's so maybe this is normal for Ryzen 9's as I've never had them. However if there is a issue i'd rather diagnose it earlier to save myself trouble and get it fixed/refunded if I can. I can supply you with any info you need I can log my HWiNFO sensors if that will be any help

Solution
The Ryzen 9 5900x is a bit of a beast temperature wise and will get hot especially if Overclocked. (best is to keep below 80C on the die)

The CPU will boost to 4.8Ghz in an instant and temps can spike when conditions are ripe for the boost to occur.

There are a few Bios adjustments that can reduce thermals. (assuming the AIO is working properly)
  1. Disable boost in Bios and set an all core overclock.
  2. Change your Fan Curve profile to a curve that stops your fans constantly increasing and decreasing their RPM. (bring them in earlier)
  3. Check your CORE Voltage in Bios. Start with 1.3V and if it fails to boot then increase in .01V steps till the system boots and is stable under stress test.
  4. Use a decent TIM like AS5, MX4 or...
The Ryzen 9 5900x is a bit of a beast temperature wise and will get hot especially if Overclocked. (best is to keep below 80C on the die)

The CPU will boost to 4.8Ghz in an instant and temps can spike when conditions are ripe for the boost to occur.

There are a few Bios adjustments that can reduce thermals. (assuming the AIO is working properly)
  1. Disable boost in Bios and set an all core overclock.
  2. Change your Fan Curve profile to a curve that stops your fans constantly increasing and decreasing their RPM. (bring them in earlier)
  3. Check your CORE Voltage in Bios. Start with 1.3V and if it fails to boot then increase in .01V steps till the system boots and is stable under stress test.
  4. Use a decent TIM like AS5, MX4 or Thermal grizzly kryonought.
Only use Bios for any Overclocks.

Hwinfo is a good monitor and the sensor you need to look at is T-die.

The Vetroo v240 240mm Radiator is only good for default frequency or a slight Overclock and would not cope with sustained high frequency Overclock under load for extended periods.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 18, 2021
Heya,

Thank you for the tips, I have done what you have suggested and now my pc idles between 45c and 55c and stress test will only push it up to 78c I assume this is the best I'll get unless I buy a better AIO cooler.

Are there any you recommend?
I was thinking about the Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix 360mm would this be a sufficient cooler for overclocking too?

If temps are maxing out at 78C under load and the system is stable then no need to upgrade your AIO as it's coping fine.
There is little headroom left to Overclock beyond 4.8GHz on the Ryzen 9 5900x and not worth the expense for the 200Mhz you may gain and even with a 360mm rad you would not gain much (if any) performance increase and I doubt you would reach 5.0Ghz.
Any increase in frequency above 4.8Ghz all core OC would also depend on the quality of your chips silicon.

Yes the Corsair H150i is an excellent AIO however my advice is to spend your money on a decent GPU for best bang for buck increase in performance.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
I might be a bit late for this discussion but just want to share my experience so far with the new bought 5900x couple months back. I went for a Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB. I clock the cpu @4.5ghz all cores at 1.28v and so far I haven't had no issues whatsoever, be it gaming, working, streaming anything. I don't feel the need for more power so I don't clock more, I might one day if the demand is there. But coming back to the cooler, this is GOLD, bliss. I have never had such a silent no hassle fill it forget it tech in my life and at half the price of the more "popular" expensive ones. I'm completely happy and satisfied with the money I spent and the result I got. Just my two cents if it helps you in any way, hope it helps.