Question Ryzen 9 5900X undervolting

Jan 30, 2023
Hello,

Who is using stable undervolting on Ryzen 9 ? I kept trying but i had stability issues . I tried curve -15 negative for all cores and still had issues.
I think one problem was the RAM( didnt work at 3200 stable, only on 2400 ) , but i changed it meanwhile .

Motherboard is GB B550 Pro-P

Get your ram stable first, memtest64 works alright and should find any immediate stability issues, then play with the curve optimizer. 2400mhz is a bit low for a 5900x, but if its the only way its stable, probably wont have much choice.what kit of ram is it anyway?

My 5900x, 1 of the best cores does not like more than -10, the other best core on the other CCX will only do -15, every single other core will do -25 and -30, Im still playing with it.

How I do it, say you for -10 stable on all cores, do per core and I do 2 or 3 cores at a time, drop 2 or 3 cores to -15, I personally wait a week of just using my computer normally to see if its stable, once that week passes, I pick 2 or 3 other cores and go down to -15 and repeat. It does take a while with 12 cores lol.

Every chip is different so I wouldn't try to set you curve to match another users 5900x, chances it wont work.

From my experience the Curve optimizer, if you go to low, I had issues with it randomly restarting when its at idle, full load always worked.

A real undervolt would be to play with the EDC, TDC and PPT, but you would limit the performance of the chip where Curve Optimizer can actully increse the multi core performance, It doesn't necessarily undervolt, it just moves the curve of the max voltage a core can use at a clock speed.

Jan 30, 2023
Get your ram stable first, memtest64 works alright and should find any immediate stability issues, then play with the curve optimizer. 2400mhz is a bit low for a 5900x, but if its the only way its stable, probably wont have much choice.what kit of ram is it anyway?

My 5900x, 1 of the best cores does not like more than -10, the other best core on the other CCX will only do -15, every single other core will do -25 and -30, Im still playing with it.

How I do it, say you for -10 stable on all cores, do per core and I do 2 or 3 cores at a time, drop 2 or 3 cores to -15, I personally wait a week of just using my computer normally to see if its stable, once that week passes, I pick 2 or 3 other cores and go down to -15 and repeat. It does take a while with 12 cores lol.

Every chip is different so I wouldn't try to set you curve to match another users 5900x, chances it wont work.

From my experience the Curve optimizer, if you go to low, I had issues with it randomly restarting when its at idle, full load always worked.

A real undervolt would be to play with the EDC, TDC and PPT, but you would limit the performance of the chip where Curve Optimizer can actully increse the multi core performance, It doesn't necessarily undervolt, it just moves the curve of the max voltage a core can use at a clock speed.
i changed the RAM for 3600MHZ Corsair, seems stable so far .
Will try undervolting again, see what happens :D
Thanks

My experience with the 5900x is to use Ryzen Master and let it find "optimal" curve. This takes some time to complete and will probably crash a few times. When it is finished, the software changes values in BIOS so it's no longer needed. The negative voltage applied worked wonders for temps and frequencies, but was unstable at idle. I would get random WHEA errors that would BSOD. I had to enter the BIOS and decrease the voltage offset on every core until stable. Once set it has been rock solid.

FYI: all of this is moot without stable RAM.

Jan 30, 2023
My experience with the 5900x is to use Ryzen Master and let it find "optimal" curve. This takes some time to complete and will probably crash a few times. When it is finished, the software changes values in BIOS so it's no longer needed. The negative voltage applied worked wonders for temps and frequencies, but was unstable at idle. I would get random WHEA errors that would BSOD. I had to enter the BIOS and decrease the voltage offset on every core until stable. Once set it has been rock solid.

FYI: all of this is moot without stable RAM.
Can you show me your settings?
Ram is stable now, or it should be :)